Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and Business

Options
  • 05-03-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hey:)
    I'm a sixth year student and I'm interested in doing law and business.. On my CAO I've put Law and Business in Trinity down first and UCD as my second choice..
    Now I'm leaning towards UCD and I'm thinking of changing my choices around. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Trinity is Law with Business, like a Law Major and Business Minor (same as UCD has Law with History / Economics / French). UCD is BBL a proper dual degree Business and Law. So I think it's a stronger course. I didn't do it, I did pure law, but the friends I have who did B&L had really good success at choosing to go into Law or Business after graduating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

errlloyd wrote: »
    Trinity is Law with Business, like a Law Major and Business Minor (same as UCD has Law with History / Economics / French). UCD is BBL a proper dual degree Business and Law. So I think it's a stronger course. I didn't do it, I did pure law, but the friends I have who did B&L had really good success at choosing to go into Law or Business after graduating.

Yikes, I didn't realise there was a significant difference like that. I have L&B Trinity first as it gives you more choice in your modules by third year and also gives you the language option which is important to me even if it wouldn't be part of the degree. I think I'd like law as I love the way it affects society but it's difficult when there's no real law in secondary except a bit in business studies.

Would it affect employability greatly in business if you did the Trinity course as opposed to the UCD one?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

robman60 wrote: »
    Yikes, I didn't realise there was a significant difference like that. I have L&B Trinity first as it gives you more choice in your modules by third year and also gives you the language option which is important to me even if it wouldn't be part of the degree. I think I'd like law as I love the way it affects society but it's difficult when there's no real law in secondary except a bit in business studies.

Would it affect employability greatly in business if you did the Trinity course as opposed to the UCD one?

If you're unsure whether you would like to go into law or business then a BBL in UCD will keep those options open to you come third year, as you can then choose to take up more modules in one or the other. BBL in UCD will give you a bit of both subjects; less than someone studying law or law with, and again less than a course in Commerce.

Currently BBL students in UCD cannot choose electives in first and second year, although there is an option to study another topic such as a language through the Horizon program. For this you have to pay.

If you think that law is for you then Law with business enables you to study more law. This could be beneficial when looking at requirements for Kings Inns or the Law Society.

You may like to work in a commercial law firm after graduation alternatively if you're hoping to go into business specifically rather than the law side then BBL may be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

edgal wrote: »
    If you're unsure whether you would like to go into law or business then a BBL in UCD will keep those options open to you come third year, as you can then choose to take up more modules in one or the other. BBL in UCD will give you a bit of both subjects; less than someone studying law or law with, and again less than a course in Commerce.

Currently BBL students in UCD cannot choose electives in first and second year, although there is an option to study another topic such as a language through the Horizon program. For this you have to pay.

If you think that law is for you then Law with business enables you to study more law. This could be beneficial when looking at requirements for Kings Inns or the Law Society.

You may like to work in a commercial law firm after graduation alternatively if you're hoping to go into business specifically rather than the law side then BBL may be preferable.

I'm in the same boat as Robmam60 as far as not knowing that there was such a difference between the two courses.

At the moment I am still insure about what I would like to do after the course. If I decided to go on the The Kings Inn would the BBL not give me the requirements needed?

Also, If I am not mistaken I think BBL students are unable to take part in the Horizon Programme..

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

BBL students can't take Electives normally, as the full credits for the year are taken up with core modules, but there's nothing stopping them from taking extra modules in general - but they'd have to pay. I wouldn't see the point to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

@Edgal: Thanks very much for your helpful advice.

I'd more likely see myself working in a law firm than, say an accountancy firm. Would also consider becoming a solicitor/barrister so I think I'll keep my CAO as is with L&B Trinity first and UCD as a good second as there's a fair chance I won't get the points for my first choice, but hopefully I will.

Also curious regarding what iang198 said. Does UCD give you the option to do the required modules to enter King's Inn?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah BBL students can go direct to King's inns.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mercedesbenz

Anyone get in to UCD business and law? :D

Advertisement