Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a normal electricity bill for a one bed apartment?

Options
  • 05-03-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I've seen average bills for electricity quoted as being approx €750 a year for a average family home.

My electricity bill, in a one bed apartment, has varied between €1000 and €1200 the last 3 years.

I have electric heating, but only use it (and I mean only) during the cold winter months, so maybe Dec to February. Consequently my March bill is €250 to €350, but the rest of the time each 2 month period varies from €120 to €180.

Does averaging €80-€100 a month sound right for a 1 bed apartment? It seems kind of high to me as all I have on in the house is a fridge, tv, about 1 hour of immersion water heater (on a timer at 6am)... use computer in the evening... that's about it?

Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check if your provider has a minimum usage limit. Some do, and charge you a bit extra.

For Electric Ireland, see here.

The electric heaters generally take a decent chunk of money to run.

Have you ever plugged everything out, and checked to see if the disk is still spinning? Try doing it some day, and if it's still spinning when everything is plugged out, you may have found what's drinking your juice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

750 a year for a family home does not sound accurate. Ours would be 4 times that.
    In my 2 bed house it averaged about 45 a month for electricity but we had gas heating,non electric shower and gas hob.
    We were also out all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 PanBrian

It depends on what you use literally...but electricity prices keep increasing and will keep increasing unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Hi folks

I've seen average bills for electricity quoted as being approx €750 a year for a average family home.

My electricity bill, in a one bed apartment, has varied between €1000 and €1200 the last 3 years.

I have electric heating, but only use it (and I mean only) during the cold winter months, so maybe Dec to February. Consequently my March bill is €250 to €350, but the rest of the time each 2 month period varies from €120 to €180.

Does averaging €80-€100 a month sound right for a 1 bed apartment? It seems kind of high to me as all I have on in the house is a fridge, tv, about 1 hour of immersion water heater (on a timer at 6am)... use computer in the evening... that's about it?

Thanks for any opinions.

I have a 2 bed apt. Ours is usually 110-120. I'm not careful about electricity at all, I leave lights on all day, I have several computers running constantly, so could probably get that down to E80 I reckon.
    People always forget about lights when considering the costs. Unless you have energy saving bulbs, lights can cost a fortune if left on.

a 100W bulb at 8hrs a day is over E50 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Average here for a small 2 bed bungalow is approx €130 bimonthly. That's with an electric shower, dryer, electric cooker and other normal things. OFCH.

Supplier is Airtricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Moonbeam wrote: »
    750 a year for a family home does not sound accurate. Ours would be 4 times that.
    In my 2 bed house it averaged about 45 a month for electricity but we had gas heating,non electric shower and gas hob.

I would be similar.
    I live alone in a two bedroom terraced house. Gas heating, no electric shower, with an electric stove and oven. No dryer. Night and day rates.
    I spend an average of 45 per month.
    Everything is off and unplugged when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

March bill in for 2 bed apt and it's €400 all electric heating lighting cooking so not too bad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moonbeam wrote: »

I'd be inclined to echo Moonbeam on this- whoever is suggesting a family home with all-electrics can be run on 750 a year, is on something. At very least- they'd be using no heating.

There always are a few high cost type household items that are very expensive to run. Immersion heaters for one. Heating (of almost any type) is another- then you have silly little things like kettles which can be 2KW units- but they're only on for a few minutes at a time.

My last 2 month electric bill is 180- but I have a 400 Euro bill for gas heating ontop of that. From April onwards my gas bill goes down to nothing- but my electricity bill remains fairly constant. I do have CFL bulbs throughout- and most of the electrics are fairly modern efficient ones (Class B or C devices- nothing lower).

You could be anal- unplugging your fridge when you don't really need it, never using your freezer, limiting your TV to absolute minimum, cold showers etc- and bring it down- but is that living?

Frankly I don't believe that someone can light and heat their home of 750 a year (without taking extraordinary measures)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I don't know how some of you are using so much electricity. :eek:

I, to be fair, do live alone in a two bedroom apartment. My average two month bill probably comes in around €60-65, my last one (complete with winter bounce) was €75. I've no other gas or heating bills on top of that. I'm not anal about unplugging stuff. I do use a dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I, to be fair, do live alone in a two bedroom apartment. My average two month bill probably comes in around €60-65, my last one (complete with winter bounce) was €75. I've no other gas or heating bills on top of that. I'm not anal about unplugging stuff. I do use a dryer.

€60-€65 per month or €60-€65 for the TWO months? That's insanely low if your electricity bill is ~€30 per month.

2 Bed apartment it was coming in anywhere between €110-140 bimonthly depending on the time of year. Funnily enough I'm seeing pretty much the same €110-140 bimonthly in a 3 bed house these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I live in a small one bedroom place. In my place now 10 months. Biggest bill so far was for march. November bill was about €10 under actual usage. January bill was about €30 under our usage. I did not make adjustment to either bill. Most recent bill was €165 odd euro. Received last bill 6 day after it was issued. It was within 50 units of my actual usage so bang up to date. So far €485. Expect May bill to be max €120. Out of the house most of day.

Just to add that we have led lighting through out the flat. This does not include washing machine. Washing machine is located in a share hallway and operated by a coin meter. Takes at least €7 a week from me. 2 loads of clothes and 1 load of bedding and towels. Times that by 52. It add about €400 to the annual bill. Landlord is making money hand over fist on that one. Three l flat sharing the one washing machine.

On the other hand parents house summer bills are over €100 each and winter bills in the 100's plus home heating oil bill in a year over a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hi folks

Thanks for any opinions.

80-100 sounds very high. In my last apartment (1 bedroom + office) I was paying 65 a month. Dishwasher and washing machine would run a few times a week, a server running 24/7 and then the usual appliances after that. And electricity is cheap in Ireland compared to here in Germany. You should look more into what is causing the bill to be so high, halogen bulbs are a major culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Seems high.
    I live in a one bed apartment. A lot of 50w downlighters, 2 fish tanks running constantly and the usual rest of the appliances. We are paying 45 - 55 a month max, less in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

No such thing as a normal electricity bill, depends totally on your usage and your supplier.

You need to change your supplier every 12 months to avail of any discounts available

Some of the posters bills do seem high though, I've looked at my last 12 months bills & the average per month is €90 , that's for a 4 bed semi, family of 4

Eldarion wrote: »
    €60-€65 per month or €60-€65 for the TWO months? That's insanely low if your electricity bill is ~€30 per month.

For the two months. It seems low to me too but, as I said, it's just me, out working during the day, often away at the weekends, it doesn't seem unbelievably, crazy low to me either. I don't turn the heating on, there was storage heaters in my last place and the person I lived with was constantly turning them on... those bills were frightening! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Seeing as how the standing charge would account for a good half (if not more) of those bills, you must quite literally never turn on anything while at home. If you had said €65 per month for a single person in a two bed apartment then I could believe it, but €65 is abnormally low for a two month electric bill.

When I lived alone in a two bed apartment I was very conscious of the electricity that I used (I was stretching my budget as it was on the rent), and the three bills that I had in that time were all in or around €120. This was over the summer months so no heating to speak of (I think I might have had the bedroom heater set to come on for an hour in the morning for a few weeks when I moved in first). Immersion on for (I think) about 90 minutes a day, washer and dryer once a week, cooker, PC (switched off and plugged out when I was not there), TV and the light on in whichever room I happened to be in. There wasnt a whole lot that I could have done to bring that down much more, short of not be in the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I have a one bed apartment and electricity bill is only approximately 60 every two months. Christmas bill was 80 euro. Electric cooker and heaters although I never use heaters as there is gas central heating included in our rent.

djimi wrote: »
    Seeing as how the standing charge would account for a good half (if not more) of those bills, you must quite literally never turn on anything while at home. If you had said €65 per month for a single person in a two bed apartment then I could believe it, but €65 is abnormally low for a two month electric bill.

I'll take a picture for your scepticism when the opportunity presents itself (could be a few days).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Slunk wrote: »
    I never use heaters as there is gas central heating included in our rent.

My gas heating (alone) comes to 3-4 times my electricity bill at this time of the year (and is supplemented at night by electric heating at a low enough temperature, in the children's rooms). You're actually really really lucky to have the heating included in your rent- for Ireland its most unusual- and at this time of the year, possibly worth hundreds in its own right.

I'll take a picture for your scepticism when the opportunity presents itself (could be a few days).

Im not doubting you; Im just saying that considering your bill will be somewhere in the region of €30-€40 before you use a single unit of power (I cant remember exactly what the standing charge is), it is very unusual for you to use about a tenners worth of electricity a month, and would in no way reflect the average usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I think the standing charge is around 15/16 euro and I think its per billing period and not per month. A few little things may help. When we moved in there were five bulbs in each light in the rooms. Removed all but one and changed it to energy saver. All your elwctonics like TV DVD laptop PlayStation etc plug into an extension lead and unplug at night. The only thing I leave plugged in is the UPC beside the extension lead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Thanks for all the replies - its great to get such a response.

I got the €750 figure here - an online calculator to give you averages for energy bills.

It certainly seems, from the specific references by a number of 1 bed and 2 bed apartment owners, that I am perhaps a bit high, although further examination of exactly how seems required. From colloquial evidence, most of my friends seem to be around the lower end of what I pay (i.e. €60 or €70 a month). I don't have open access to the meter so I can't turn everything off and then check the rate it increases, although I like the idea so will try and get access. Thanks for that.

I was considering getting some work done in my house that would give me a single switch (like a big red light switch) beside my alarm, that would essentially turn off all sockets except nominated points like fridge, washing machine etc. Perhaps I can lower things that way.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback - you folks are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

In a one-bed; our bill comes in at about 90-100 every two months, and gas is 26 a month over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

For reference, my Jan & Feb bill came in this week and for one person living in a two bed apartment its come to €711.14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I get the gas and electricity from airtricity. Monthly bill is about 110 quid total for two people in a two bed apartment. Seems pretty good judging on the other figures here.

JohnK wrote: »
    For reference, my Jan & Feb bill came in this week and for one person living in a two bed apartment its come to €711.14

Thats the opposite extreme to the poster who is paying €60 per bill :eek:

How do you manage to build up a bill that high?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

That seems very high, I live in 3 bed semi and our gas and elec is about 40 per week. We have a baby and I'm here most days so the heating is on a good bit.
    During the summer we normally don't use the heating at all so I'd expect them to be less then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

JohnK wrote: »

€700++ euro my eye are bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

four of us and ours is between 180euro and 220euro each two months, we heat with solid fuel and oil, and i do not use clothes drier much, we never use immersion, we cook with gas hob and electric oven,
    we have electric shower find it hand in summer,
    but it is used all yr round,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

djimi wrote: »
    Thats the opposite extreme to the poster who is paying €60 per bill :eek:

How do you manage to build up a bill that high?

Storage heaters; oh how I loathe them!

Of course it doesn't help that the front/main room has two big windows that are each about 20ftx8ft so its not exactly the most energy efficient of apartments. Plenty of light though :pac:

Advertisement