Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a normal electricity bill for a one bed apartment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the most important thing needed where there are huge windows like that are a good heavy blind, and a set of heavy lined curtains, they would keep the place snug in the cold months,
    glass is very cold and heat is drawn to cold,
    you need the best heavy material curtains and blinds for windows that big,
    they really do insulate,
    floor to ceiling and covering past the window each side,
    pelmets were used in the old days to keep heat in room also,
    we have to go back to basics to stay warm and keep bills down,
    i have the same heavy curtains and blinds along with pelmets covering my windows with the past fifteen yrs,
    they are a good investment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

€700 for electricity, I thiink id cry. We have three large windows in our front room that lose so much heat. A thick set of curtains is what's needed. Id rather buy an extra jumper in penny's than pay a 700 euro bill. The windows are great in the summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

JohnK wrote: »
    Storage heaters; oh how I loathe them!

Of course it doesn't help that the front/main room has two big windows that are each about 20ftx8ft so its not exactly the most energy efficient of apartments. Plenty of light though :pac:

We stopped using the storage heaters after one winter of high bills. Invested in some good thick curtains, some net curtains (from Penneys; voile I think they are called?) and a decent plug in oil filled radiator and our electric bills dropped by about 30%. Never again will I use a storage heater at home; complete waste of money, especially for a house that is empty during the day.

i bet the booster of these storage heaters eat into pocket,
    a friend of mine had to get out of a flat with storage heaters,
    they had lost heat in evening and he had to switch on booster, they were way too much expense for him,
    he moved into a place with a fireplace and now at least he goes to bed warm,
    he told me that he had to wear his coat in the flat evenings and was going to bed freezing,
    he paid about 575 pm for this fridge, my guess is insulation was an issue also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

My first apartment had storage heating. Jesus its so ****e. So many apartments seem to have it now, presume its much cheaper to install than oil'gas boiler. You could see your breath in the mornings when you woke up. We used to stay in the pub all day after work just for the warmth. We were only on a 6 month contract so didn't have the chance to move really. But never again will I have storage heaters.

• Advertisement

yes they are far cheaper to install, if one were to put in oil central heating it would cost four times more, and as is the law, you have to have central heating or heating in each room in house,
    best type of heating is a solid fuel stove, it heats radiators, provides hot water, and also heats the room the stove is in, also one can buy many different forms of fuel, turf, wood, briquettes, slack, coal, which ever suits the pocket at a given time,
    also one does not have to have a wad of money to fill tanks with oil, if you are on your last few euro at least you can afford to heat the place,

also with storage heaters, my personal experience was that when i need the heat in evenings, they had nearly expired of the heat,
    one then has a huge bill when using booster,
    also with the stove you have the hot water for washing, where that would normally be heated by element where storage heaters are concerned,
    all in all storage heaters are a nuisance,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I live in a one-bed apartment with storage heating. During the coldest months, my bill can be around €300/two months. During the summer it can get below €100/two months. However, this winter I only turned on one of the two storage heaters in my living room/kitchen. I only turned on the second one for a couple of weeks during that cold snap in Feb. Hopefully that will knock the bill down a bit.

Storage heating is the tool of the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    ...Storage heating is the tool of the devil.

Seriously, I could not agree more; for a typical household its completely useless as any storage heater will be heating an empty house/apartment during the day while you’re away and be cold, or nearly cold, by the time you get home from work. At least for myself, I work from home, so generally I get a benefit from the heat during the day but if I was going out to an office or visit a client etc. it would be a complete waste as the money spent heating the apartment for the day is lost.

If or when I move from where I'm currently living, the presence of storage heaters will be a deciding factor in that it'll be a cold day in hell before I again rent where they are present as frankly they just aren't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

The last 2 years I've been using 3600 kWh / year which is translate to roughly 65€/month.

Advertisement