Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Trouble

Options
  • 05-03-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, quick question if someone could help please. I'm living in a house with 3 others, we paid our last month rent and told landlord one person would be moving out and another moving in. He said that was fine, now two weeks before we sign a new lease we are told the rent has actually gone up. Its has gone up enough money that we cannot afford it now. We have two weeks to move out.

My question is, does the landlord not have to give us more time then two weeks notice about such a rent increase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

how long have you lived in the house is the most important bit of info which will then help in finding out how much notice he must give

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the moose75

This is our first 9 month lease

This is if you are classed as part 4 tenancy....

Notice
    Tenants must be given notice of the ending of a tenancy, regardless of the reason. The length of notice depends on the length of the tenancy.

Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
    Less than 6 months 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to 1 year 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 years or more 16 weeks (112 days)
    Shorter notice may be given if the tenants are not keeping their obligations (28 days) or if there is serious anti-social behaviour (7 days). Disputes between landlords and tenants about notice can be referred to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB).

sorry i see rent increase, not cessation of tenancy, apologies

Your landlord has the right to review the rent annually. However your landlord must give you at least 28 days notice (in writing) before increasing the rent. If there is any dispute about the amount of rent or about arrears of rent, either side can refer the dispute to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). You must contact the PRTB before the date the new rent comes into effect or within 28 days of getting the notice, whichever is later. Read more about the PRTB and dispute resolution here.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_increases.html

• Advertisement

Thanks a million. Thats a big help. We have got nothing in writing!! He rang one of the lads I live with and babbled on about taxes and charges (which by all means i understand and see where he is coming from) but I just think its unprofessional, he hasn't actually told us a date to be moved out by either in writing or verbally. My only worry about all of this is now we need to find a place to live and have only 9 days now. Do you know if there is any way of getting his time increased seeing as our landlord has not gone through the correct procedures?

Your help is greatly appreciated

con act threshold in th morning, either by phone or in person... there is a way to get the time increased, and that is by simply not moving out on the day in which he might be thinking you are... i wouldn't advise on how to go about this situation, but it seems unreasonable that he can just mumble a date and not give anything concrete, i suspect he thinks you are not aware of tenancy rights... i don't know much myself only what is written on websites, hopefully someone else will come along and give you better advice, but the best advice will also be got by contacting threshold who will let you know your rights in a nutshell and tell you which way is best to proceed hths

Thanks a million. He is not wrong in presuming we dont know much about tenancy laws but we know this is wrong so will be sure to find out. He hasn't even given us a proper move out date other then presuming we leave the day our lease says but the landlord has not put anything is writing, even when we paid our last month rent he mentioned nothing. It was us who approached him about one person leaving and another moving in.

Thanks very much for this. I will get in contact with them tomorrow.

no worries, good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

before people start giving out advice on notice periods etc it would be better for them to actually determine the type of tennancy at play.

We dont know what kind of tenancy agreement the OP has. It could well be they are just renting a room .....

Id be very slow to take any of the points taken here as your statutory rights OP as you havent clarified the situation.

Are all 4 of you on the same lease ?
    Do you all have seperate leases ?
    Did you specifically sign a lease yourself ?

Advertisement