Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting vegan!

Options
  • 05-03-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I've been battling with lactose intolerance for years now as well as gluten, so I have decided to try a vegan diet to see if it will help re. Bloating, digestive issues, lethargy, bad skin and limp hair.

So can anyone recommend me a 'starter food' type list? I will be avoiding all animal products including anything lactose, meat, eggs, cheese, etc.

Due to my gluten intolerance I do feel I'll be really limited, but if anyone can guide me in the right direction regarding meal ideas, snack ideas, what's a good source of protein, carbs, etc. I will be taking protein powder due to the gym (vegan protein) as well as clas.

I'm going to use this diet as a way to help my overall health but also to help with weight loss.

And any alternatives would be welcomed, I drink lactose free milk, alpro soya yogurts and avoid cheese and butter completely.

I will also be avoiding all breads, cakes, chocolate, etc.

So any hints and tips will be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Hiya
    Just as a first off can you clarify some things? Are you going to continue to drink the lactose free milk? If you are then this is not a vegan diet as this is still milk from cows. You say you want to lose some weight? So are you going to be counting your calorie intake through an app such as myfitensspal? Vegan diet does not automatically equal weight loss.

As for a starter list I will list my gluten free (I don't usually go gluten free so have things like flours and other baking things too) cupboard/fridge/fresh staples (90% organic) and see if that helps you?

Peanut butter
    Dried assorted beans
    Dried Lentils
    Dried Chickpeas
    Dried split peas
    Flax seed
    Oats
    Oat cakes
    Unsweetned soya milk
    M+S dairy free marg
    Onions
    Garlic
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli
    Kale
    Cabbage
    Avocado
    Carrot
    Sweetcorn
    Linda Mac sausages
    Vital wheat gluten
    Falafel mix
    Every dried spice and herb you can think of
    A good EVOO
    Coconut oil
    Cashew nuts
    Marmite

Hmmm I think that's it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I've found that the recipes on this blog are mostly gluten-free and mostly vegan: http://peachypalate.com/recipage/ There are hundreds of recipes, so hopefully plenty of ideas for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

flikflak wrote: »
    Hiya
    Just as a first off can you clarify some things? Are you going to continue to drink the lactose free milk? If you are then this is not a vegan diet as this is still milk from cows. You say you want to lose some weight? So are you going to be counting your calorie intake through an app such as myfitensspal? Vegan diet does not automatically equal weight loss.

As for a starter list I will list my gluten free (I don't usually go gluten free so have things like flours and other baking things too) cupboard/fridge/fresh staples (90% organic) and see if that helps you?

Peanut butter
    Dried assorted beans
    Dried Lentils
    Dried Chickpeas
    Dried split peas
    Flax seed
    Oats
    Oat cakes
    Unsweetned soya milk
    M+S dairy free marg
    Onions
    Garlic
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli
    Kale
    Cabbage
    Avocado
    Carrot
    Sweetcorn
    Linda Mac sausages
    Vital wheat gluten
    Falafel mix
    Every dried spice and herb you can think of
    A good EVOO
    Coconut oil
    Cashew nuts
    Marmite

Hmmm I think that's it?

Thanks for clarifying about the lactose free milk .., for some reason I though the lactose was from the animal sorry, bit of a brain fart moment, I'll be more using soy milk than anything else, just thought I'd ask. I already use myfitnesspal a lot, and will continue to use it, I'm not overweight just finding the last hurdle hard to get over let's say regarding toning, and I do believe it is down to my diet which includes lactose and gluten.

Constant bloating isn't fun.
    For A lot of my wheat intake and such I'm just going to get the gluten free options. I was on a coeliac diet a few years ago as I couldn't eat anything, and found I benefitted a lot.

I will be using this diet alongside running, strenuous horse riding and training (do a lot of work with horses) and walking the doggies. I do think a lot of my problems shifting the fat around my lower tummy and thighs is from the gluten and lactose in my diet.

I don't really eat meat anyway, not a fan of most of it, so I tend to avoid all poultry, beef, pork etc anyway, just do not like the taste, look or texture, so that'd half the battle right there! And I love nuts, Berrys and seeds and use them as snacks haha.

That's a good list there, around 90% of the stuff on it I like and can already imagine some recipes I can try! Chocolate will be my biggest problem, but I survived on chocolate flavoured soy yogurts and lactose, dairy and gluten free chocolate for a year so I could do it again!

Why not have chocolate? A couple of squares of good quality dark chocolate is about 60 calories. Perfectly fine to have each day as long as it is factored into your allowance for the day.

I have it everyday and still come in under my allowance.

Why not have chocolate? A couple of squares of good quality dark chocolate is about 60 calories. Perfectly fine to have each day as long as it is factored into your allowance for the day.

I have it everyday and still come in under my allowance.

Lactose intolerance can't take any dairy products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

Plamil dairy free chocolate, that's what it's all about. Only recently started a vegan diet and plamil has been what's stopped me from falling off the wagon. It tastes a lot like Lindt chocolate. I got it in The Health Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Very dark chocolate often has no dairy in it. I'm lactose intolerant too and often eat dark chocolate, just check the ingredients as some brands may have some.

But there is no dairy in it at all. Its completely vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

This is a great site..... http://vegankit.com/

But being vegan is not a diet so are you planning to change other aspects of your lifestyle or is it just a food issue?

But there is no dairy in it at all. Its completely vegan

I did not know that! Yay that's great! Thanks for the tip! I assumed all chocolate has lactose in it so I avoided it all.
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    This is a great site..... http://vegankit.com/

But being vegan is not a diet so are you planning to change other aspects of your lifestyle or is it just a food issue?

Mostly the diet, however i don't wear fur, leather or cheap woollens, I am a big advocate for animal welfare, I've worked for rescues, fostered, helped to get animals out of apalling situations (I've seen puppy mills, battery farms and sow breeding cages - through rescue missions) so while I won't be going completely into the vegan lifestyle my life is very involved with animal welfare and educating the public of animal care, rights and plights. I am planning on studying animal behaviour in order to work for rescues as a career instead as a dedicated volunteer.

But the diet is for detox reasons, as I barely eat meat (after the battery farm, won't go near any chicken based products and only ate eggs that came from my friends hens who I helped to rescue from a batter two years ago), the sow crates we're enough to turn me off pork for life and I don't like lamb or beef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Hi there is a blog called "Deliciously Ella" with great vegan recipes that are mostly gluten free. She overcame some serious disease by changing her diet. Really nice stuff on there but sometimes her ingredients are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

My girlfriend is vegan and quite sensitive to wheat at times so she often tries to avoid gluten. She's a big fan of this site! Hope it'll help

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/vegan-vegetarian.html

Advertisement