Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A spark out of laptop and then switched off

Options
  • 05-03-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've a laptop here that belongs to a friend. They use it in bed and a spark came out - I wasn't able to get the information from them as to where exactly the spark came from, but I'm fairly sure it came from around the area that the power connection is.

The laptop is running fine now after taking a look. Windows was not booting but it was because of a dodgy restoration file which I deleted.

I don't have the power supply to check it off ac but it's currently running fine off the battery.

Can anyone tell me what this might have been? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

could just be an 'arc flash' (can be mistaken for a spark), if the charger was not fully plugged into the laptop connection point. Its like when you have a Kettle turned on and you pull the plug from a wall socket, you see a blue flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

johndoe99 wrote: »
    could just be an 'arc flash' (can be mistaken for a spark), if the charger was not fully plugged into the laptop connection point. Its like when you have a Kettle turned on and you pull the plug from a wall socket, you see a blue flash.

If there was a zap noise it was probably this. The charger may be dodgy but that tends to happen along the wire where its gotten bent a lot and worn away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Unusual to hear/see a spark from a relatively low voltage DC source. I would understand if it involved 220V ~.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Thanks for the replies....

Advertisement