Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Forums asterisk

Options
  • 06-03-2014 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭

I realise this is really, really, yes, really trivial. But it's just one of those silly things that can annoy you.

There is a Forum in "My Forums" that always has an asterisk, which I used to presume means there has been a new post, but when I check, there actually hasn't been a new post in any thread on this forum.

I don't suffer from OCD, but I have felt a bit compulsive about this one; checking old threads, etc., trying to figure out what I can do about it.

It's a bit like the pie-chart that's floating about nowadays about why you check messages on your phone - do you want to hear the message or just get rid of the notification? :)

http://weknowmemes.com/2012/06/why-i-check-my-voicemail/
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Does it have a subforum? I think the asterisk can sometimes filter upstream... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I've checked the 2 sub-forums (sub-fora if you want to be pedantic!), but it still has an asterisk, despite otherwise making me believe that I've seen every new post.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's a link in the "Quick Links" menu called "Mark Forums Read". Click that. Begin your life anew.

Edit: if that doesn't work, clear your cache first, then mark the forums read. There's an option somewhere, possibly on the index page to mark all forums read: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/

Edit #2: actually, clicking mark forums read in any forum marks all forums read.

I couldn't find "quick links" or where to click "mark forums read", but something I've done has finally got rid of the asterisk! :) Thanks for your help.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sorry, just to clear my above post up for the benefit of anyone else with a similar query. I'm using an older theme for now so the layout is slightly different.

In order to mark all forums read in the default theme, hover over your username on the top right-hand side. Second from bottom, there is a button to mark all forums read.

• Advertisement

Thanks, found it :)

This is still an issue for me. It's not an important one, at all. But just a bit annoying. A few forums in "My Forums" will sometimes (but not always) have an asterisk to show I haven't read all of the threads, but when I check them, I have read all of the threads.

I don't want to "mark all forums as read" because that means that other forums I haven't read will be marked as read.

Sorry to seem pedantic; it just bugs me a bit and I wonder why it's happening; pretty sure it must be something I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried Thread Tools > Mark Forum Read again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Might I suggest hitting mark all forums read and then clearing your cache and cookies from your computer.

Have you tried Thread Tools > Mark Forum Read again?
    ken wrote: »
    Might I suggest hitting mark all forums read and then clearing your cache and cookies from your computer.

I regularly clear my internet history.

I don't want to mark all forums read - only the ones I have read that have no new posts.

I realise I must be doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what. I'm not one of the people who say "the computer/internet is doing something to me" - obviously I'm doing something wrong. Just wanted to know if anyone might know what it was.

Not a big deal - just a bit annoying.

• Advertisement

I'm not suggesting 'Mark ALL Forums Read' - just the forum that is causing you so much frustration.

My earlier post was incorrect, it should have said 'Have you tried Forum Tools > Mark This Forum Read'

Thanks, that'll do nicely! :)

Happy days! :)

Advertisement