Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Week

Options
  • 06-03-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

I really like how the SU had people out with the buckets this year, unlike other years where the bucket was just left in a corner. I also like the professional bouncers must better than some Ents Crew guy.

But aside from these great additions, what happened? The campus was dead on Wednesday and the bouncers looked odd checking for I.D so people can enter an empty SU courtyard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

They had the people out with buckets the past two years I've seen rag week...

But yesterday, I overheard them saying that they are desperate for money and have made barely anything so they were going around classrooms begging people for euros (I was in one of the several classes they went in).

Yesterday, I saw nothing on from 12-5 and I am not optimistic about today either..

Where's all the happy atmosphere gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Martinstack

Yes it's great 2 see so many people out helping collecting money for great charities, they've already raised more than previous years and the week isn't over yet. So I think begging students for money is a total exaggeration.

Pity about the atmosphere around the place but jester could u define a 'professional bouncer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The bouncers they have this year at the courtyard are qualified guys, they have the arm band with the licence attached. Other years they just had guys in Ents shirts checking people.

Did the SU hold any events apart from Monday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I hope they give some money to Rehab, the CEO is looking for an extra 24K on her salary....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Martinstack

The only security the union hav hired all week are the ENTS and all have licences, so I guess ur initial post about professional bouncers being better than ENTS was a bit of a ridiculous statement, don't post stuff you know nothing about.

And there hav been events on everyday, stuff on in stables and scholars all day.

• Advertisement

The only security the union hav hired all week are the ENTS and all have licences, so I guess ur initial post about professional bouncers being better than ENTS was a bit of a ridiculous statement, don't post stuff you know nothing about.

And there hav been events on everyday, stuff on in stables and scholars all day.

Well its about time these guys where licensed or are displaying their licensed.
    BTW they are professional bouncers and by better I mean for a legal standpoint/professional.

The college has been a ghost town since Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Line up was pretty abysmal tbh. Nothing to get excited for at all compared to other years when there was at least some band or event happening at night.

Has the atmosphere really been that bad? I passed in front of the courtyard/stables Monday and Tuesday and there seemed to be a fairly decent crowd there. Wednesday was a bit dead, but it was pissing rain when I was walking past so I attributed it to that. I've heard from people that the Stables has been very good as well.

Out of interest Martin, where did you hear they've raised more money than previous years? Any ball park figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Wnolan: You passed on the two days of the week that were great. Monday and Tuesday were awesome and the hype was nice. It reminded me of my first year rag week but Wednesday's weather wasn't bad until 4 and even when the weather was nice there wasn't anything on. Stables had a few things but they were scattered and most of the Scholars stuff was on on the Monday.

In my personal opinion, I felt that they put TOO many events on the Monday and Tuesday so there were not enough for Wednesday and Thursday, which I found disappointing...Hope my 4th year rag week goes better!

Martin: Well I heard some of the ENTS crew, people carrying buckets and people actually counting the money say that the money they collected wasn't nearly enough but that is what I overheard.

Also the reason why I say they were 'begging' for money is because of me also hearing the same people collecting money saying that they NEEdEd to go around classrooms or they wouldn't get the money they needed for the week.

But I would be interested where you heard that they raised more money than ever? They say it every year so I would be interested if they did hit their new record.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Moxy Shazbot

The line up was absolutely horrible. everything was in town. And how is fuerza bruta part of charity week isn't that the limerick thing being organised. Who ever was in charge of this years charity week deserves to be given out to. Nothing big happened in UL. disappointed. Hopefully next year will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Jester252 wrote: »
    Well its about time these guys where licensed or are displaying their licensed.

They always have been. Why are your posts always blaming someone or speaking of the University, the SU or it's evens in a bad light?

• Advertisement

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    They always have been. Why are your posts always blaming someone or speaking of the University, the SU or it's evens in a bad light?

This is the first year that they have displayed their licence, other years they where in blue Ent tee shirts with no licence on display.

If you actually read the OP I complemented this change and the increases bucket coverage

This is the first year that they have displayed their licence, other years they where in blue Ent tee shirts with no licence on display.

If you actually read the OP I complemented this change and the increases bucket coverage

Licences are displayed at all times. And people go out with buckets every year, I was one of them!

Licences are displayed at all times. And people go out with buckets every year, I was one of them!

This year was the first year the licences where displayed, other years the licences where not displayed by members of the Ents crew that I saw. Are you calling me a liar?

This year the bucket where out and had a greater coverage. They had people actively going around the campus. Other years the bucket where just beside the events with little active collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KeithQ96

Licences have always been displayed going back at least 4 years. It's a legal requirement.

And every year there are people going around with buckets, although obviously the number of volunteers fluctuate year to year.

KeithQ96 wrote: »
    Licences have always been displayed going back at least 4 years. It's a legal requirement.

And every year there are people going around with buckets, although obviously the number of volunteers fluctuate year to year.

I have been going to UL for the last 5 years and this year is the first time I saw the Ents crew with their licences displayed and people activity collecting. Maybe the guy in charge of the Ents crew should make sure his guys are displaying their licences at all times.

This year was the first year the licences where displayed, other years the licences where not displayed by members of the Ents crew that I saw. Are you calling me a liar?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Have to say honestly this was the first year that I saw ALL of the bouncers displaying licences.

Other years some were and some weren't.

Yup.

Well I'm reporting what I witness for the last four charity weeks. Why do you need to defence the SU so much?

Well I'm reporting what I witness for the last four charity weeks. Why do you need to defence the SU so much?

Merely pointing out a mistake.

Merely pointing out a mistake.

Well I'm not the only one to notice the lack of licences before. God forbid you point out an issue with the SU with you around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

This year the bucket where out and had a greater coverage. They had people actively going around the campus. Other years the bucket where just beside the events with little active collection.

I'm calling you a liar, because ultimately it's the Union's responsibility to ensure all legal obligations are met. As a person who has had responsibility for delegating that to someone, and having checked myself, I am satisfied that licences have been displayed since about 2011.

You must hold a PSA licence to be an Ent.

People may take the piss out of the Union, and always will, but where legal compliance is required, the Union is 100% professional.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm calling you a liar, because ultimately it's the Union's responsibility to ensure all legal obligations are met. As a person who has had responsibility for delegating that to someone, and having checked myself, I am satisfied that licences have been displayed since about 2011.

You must hold a PSA licence to be an Ent.

People may take the piss out of the Union, and always will, but where legal compliance is required, the Union is 100% professional.

Did you check the guys every single second of every single day to make sure the licence was on display? Someone could have had the licence attached to their jacket, took the jacket off and forgot to switch over the licence.

I saw what I saw and others saw it too. Maybe futures sabbats will understand that no system is perfect and use the criticism to improve the system instead of becoming defensive.

Also such a small detail shouldn't be obvious to myself and others if they had the licence on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

All of you, stop being defensive.

Yes, all.

And don't be calling people liars, please. A liar is someone who makes an untrue statement presented as fact, with a deliberate intent to mislead.

Also, kindly refrain from playing the "are you calling me a liar" card. You can't play it when you qualify a statement with "that I saw".

Thus, "all".

Really, lads...

That's a moderator nudge. Disagreements about the nudge can be sent to me via PM, otherwise carry on with the above in mind. It's not that it isn't an important thing but, er, you're all getting defensive.

Advertisement