Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i watch sky in different rooms in my situation?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi
    I live in an old house were the tv cables from different rooms(2-3 ) go back to the attic, which are plugged into an amp i think. Two cables coming from the dish comes through the attic to the two old sky boxes which are not plus. 1 is pre plus about 5 years old the other is about 10 years old, 1 cable going to each. The reason for this is i have 2 tv's in a big room to watch different sky channels at the same time, unusual i know. Can't run cables from sky boxes (which are beside each other) to different rooms but can run cables from sky boxes to the attic were the other tv cables are. My questions are;
    Can i do anything to watch sky in different rooms?
    Can i change channels of sky from different rooms?
    Does the same sky channel have to be watched in each room? Doesn't matter if that's the case just wondering what my options are.
    Also i have an old sky+ box (2-3 years) not being used, is that any addition? What would i need buy & how would i install?
    Thank you for taking the time to read this and i hope somebody can help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My suggestions, there may be others.

Option 1 (using RF2 from each Sky receiver)

- Combine the 2 Sky RF2 outputs with this SPC4 (Super Plus Combiner).
    - SPC4 (Super Plus Combiner) output to a T140 amplifier
    - T140 amplifier outputs to a Sky magic eye at each TV point.
    - Each Sky r/c at each TV point is allocated to operate 1 of the 2 Sky receivers via the SPC4 (Super Plus Combiner) - see how it's done under the video guides tab here.

Option 2 (using RF2 from 1 Sky receiver)

- RF2 output to a T140 amplifier
    - T140 amplifier outputs to a Sky magic eye at each TV point.
    - Sky r/c at each TV point controls that 1 sky receiver

With the second option the same channel must be watched at each TV point, with the first option there is a little more flexibility depending on which remote controls are allocated to which Sky receiver.

The spare Sky+ receiver won't work with this setup as it requires a separate feed from the dish, another multiroom sub and a phone connection. Could be used as a free-to-air box in one of the rooms with a feed direct from the dish.

You say the cables to the other rooms are connected to an amp in the attic, what TV signal (if any) is going to each TV in those rooms now, Sky/aerial/other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

The Cush wrote: »

The spare Sky+ receiver won't work with this setup as it requires a separate feed from the dish, another multiroom sub and a phone connection. Could be used as a free-to-air box in one of the rooms with a feed direct from the dish.?

There is no phone requirement anymore for mulitroom, or multiscreen as they call it now. Not that that might help you much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kevin77

Thank you for your rely that info very helpful. Currently connected to aerial, then from faceplate in rooms connected to digital receiver connected to tv

kevin77 wrote: »
    Currently connected to aerial, then from faceplate in rooms connected to digital receiver connected to tv

The aerial signal can be piggybacked on the Sky RF2 output, simply connect the aerial feed to the aerial in socket on the Sky box you plan to feed the other rooms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

Can i do anything to watch sky in different rooms?
    Can i change channels of sky from different rooms?
    Does the same sky channel have to be watched in each room?

Another option is to "daisy chain" the Sky boxes; RF-out of box 1 to RF-in of box 2, then RF-out of box 2 goes for distribution. Should be alright picture-quality-wise with only 2 boxes in the chain, you will only be able to change channel on the box 2, but box 1 channel will be available as a separate channel on the remote tvs.

What kind of amplifier is already there in the attic?

• Advertisement

Not sure but old, don't mind buying a new 1 if it will be of benefit

The Cush wrote: »
    The aerial signal can be piggybacked on the Sky RF2 output, simply connect the aerial feed to the aerial in socket on the Sky box you plan to feed the other rooms.

What your saying is i can send aerial and sky through 1 cable??

Another option is to "daisy chain" the Sky boxes; RF-out of box 1 to RF-in of box 2, then RF-out of box 2 goes for distribution. Should be alright picture-quality-wise with only 2 boxes in the chain, you will only be able to change channel on the box 2, but box 1 channel will be available as a separate channel on the remote tvs.

Might sound silly but would i need a sky eye for this??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

You need an "eye" at each tv where you want to be able to change channel on the Sky box(es).

The eye is a remote sensor & its sender unit converts the IR signal to RF & sends it back to the Sky box.

What your saying is i can send aerial and sky through 1 cable??

Yes, via the RF2 out on a Sky box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement