Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spoilt my dog, can I change things?

• 06-03-2014 2:39am

OK so usually Alfie is used to getting a walk in the morning when he sees me, I recently went back to shift work, while I was doing well for few weeks, going home in morn and going out for walk and then to bed for few hours, a couple of weeks ago, I think I made a big mistake.
    I went home at 7am and was just so tired I had to go to bed. I let him come upstairs and lay on my bed while I got a couple of hours kip. This was two mornings in a row.
    Now he thinks he deserves to be on my bed.

My mistake totally. I was just too tired.
    I have him totally spoilt. If I head upstairs now he barrels up in front of me and jumps up on the bed. I don't want him doing this!

Is there anyway to stop this now? I know its completely my fault, is it too late to change him back??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

bubblypop wrote: »
    OK so usually Alfie is used to getting a walk in the morning when he sees me, I recently went back to shift work, while I was doing well for few weeks, going home in morn and going out for walk and then to bed for few hours, a couple of weeks ago, I think I made a big mistake.
    I went home at 7am and was just so tired I had to go to bed. I let him come upstairs and lay on my bed while I got a couple of hours kip. This was two mornings in a row.

I have him totally spoilt. If I head upstairs now he barrels up in front of me and jumps up on the bed. I don't want him doing this!

Is there anyway to stop this now? I know its completely my fault, is it too late to change him back??

It's very easy to stop any unwanted behaviour, especially something as easy as this, you just need to change the routine slightly. The easiest thing to do is to close the door behind you when you are going upstairs to prevent him from getting up ahead of you, or get a stair gate to prevent him going upstairs at all. However, you may need to distract him with a treat or a toy so he doesn't get frustrated at being left behind. Have you got a 'bed' routine or when you leave to go to work where does he go? If you want to go to bed put him to bed first.

One thing sticks out from your post though -
    Now he thinks he deserves to be on my bed

Honestly, this isn't how he thinks at all. Dogs don't think that access to a certain area is a privilege, it's more about feeling safe and included, and with their family. The lovely thing about your bed for Alfie is that it smells of You and that is why he is so overjoyed to get access up to be beside you. There's nothing sinister about it, he's not trying to take over the world by getting on the bed, he's thinking 'It's warm, safe and smells familiar, I love getting in for a cuddle'

My pair are allowed access to the bedroom and get up on the bed every night for a cuddle before bedtime as my OH is always in bed before me, and then we have a routine when I come to bed that I tell them it's time for bed and they need to go out and toilet and come back inside and get onto their own beds - I use specific words and commands that they recognise and they bolt outside to pee and then come back in and straight onto their own bed and they get a bedtime treat. It's a great little routine and can be adapted to going out, or simply getting Alfie off your bed if you want to get in it!. Using treats and have a command word for getting onto his own bed and plenty of praise for giving the correct behaviour.

Good luck with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP, dont beat yourself up your dog is not spoilt by allowing him to sleep on your bed for a couple of days. its easily sorted dont worry.

As borderlinemeath already mentioned dogs dont think that they have the right etc they just think, i like that, thats cosey, plus the adore being as close as possible to their humans, so your dog is just happy to be near you thats all, plus its warm and comfy.

Is it that you dont want him in your bed?
    if its this just have a bed / blanket on the floor for him in your bedroom and when he jumps up to be beside you just pop him back down on his blank and tell him "bed" or give him a treat when he's in there etc, after a few times he'll get the message :p

Or in your room at all?
    Then leave him downstairs with a stuffed long etc, this will keep him occupied while you get some rest.

Try not to stress its easily sorted in a few days you'll be grand

:D

PS he may protest my crying / whinging for a few days, but hold out he'll be grand

Ah to be fair its not that he is coming up at night, he sleeps in the kitchen, always has. He's usually spark out long before I head to bed.
    I brought him up one morn after a night shift because I was too lazy to go out for a walk at that time.
    So now its the morning he thinks he can come up and get a second lie on!!

He follows me around the house like a shadow during the day & he used to lie on the floor watching whatever I was doing, now he lies on my bed watching me!

I don't want to be mean and tell him to get down all the time cos its my fault in the first place! Would it not be confusing for him?
    My bedclothes are ruined!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ah to be fair its not that he is coming up at night, he sleeps in the kitchen, always has. He's usually spark out long before I head to bed.
    I brought him up one morn after a night shift because I was too lazy to go out for a walk at that time.
    So now its the morning he thinks he can come up and get a second lie on!!

He follows me around the house like a shadow during the day & he used to lie on the floor watching whatever I was doing, now he lies on my bed watching me!

I don't want to be mean and tell him to get down all the time cos its my fault in the first place! Would it not be confusing for him?
    My bedclothes are ruined!!

The thing with dog is thy are all about routine.... if you dont want him on your bed your not being unfair, he'll be grand, BUT you must stick to it... you cant give mixed signals... so its either down or not?

after a days of lying on the floor he'll be grand, get hima comfy bed to lie on, on your florr and he'll be happy out.

Thing is to be consistent, dont keep changing the rules that will confuse him

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

Yeah, I used to have a staff/husky mix that liked to hop up on the bed any chance she got. We'd have a cuddle on it but the minute I said "down" she got down and she stayed down. (despite her pleading eyes) Just take control and be firm and consistent! Stick with it. You'll have it sorted in no time! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement