Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Passport / German Passport? Citizenship?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 7:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right Forum for this.

I'm having a baby next month and I was wondering what the rules are with citizenship/passports.
    I am German,born and raised in Germany, have a german Passport/ Citizenship and have been living in Ireland for 7 years.
    My Partner is Irish and has an Irish Passport but was born in England.

What Nationality/Citizenship will our child have? The baby will be born in Ireland. Is this automatic or do we have to apply for it all? Is the fact that my partner wasn't born in Ireland (both parents Irish) a problem?

I was only thinking about this last night and would like my child to have the german Citizenship/Nationality as well. I don't really feel the need to get him/her a german passport as I don't think there are any benefits, but I would like him/her to have the option to get one if he/she wants to later in life.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Till a few years back any child born in ireland was an irish citizen automatically.
    Now the rule is that one of the parents must be irish, or failng that having a minimum length of residency.
    So your child born in ireland will be automatically irish. And that both because of your residency but primarily because of the father being irish.

Regarding German nationality, that's another story how the entitlements work, but having German nationality has at least one advantage, if only that you can get an ID card that saves you having to lug your passport about the place when travelling about!
    For a child the kinderreisepass is cheaper (13 rather than 30 for irish passport) and lasts twice as long than the irish one(6 rather than 3 years) , but applying outside Germany might negate the cost advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Till a few years back any child born in ireland was an irish citizen automatically.
    Now the rule is that one of the parents must be irish, or failng that having a minimum length of residency.
    So your child born in ireland will be automatically irish. And that both because of your residency but primarily because of the father being irish.

Regarding German nationality, that's another story how the entitlements work, but having German nationality has at least one advantage, if only that you can get an ID card that saves you having to lug your passport about the place when travelling about!
    For a child the kinderreisepass is cheaper (13 rather than 30 for irish passport) and lasts twice as long than the irish one(6 rather than 3 years) , but applying outside Germany might negate the cost advantage.

Try the German embassy in dublin for the German passport/id.
    My wife is Slovak and we got passports for the kids in the Dublin embassy so they have dual nationality.
    You may need to register the birth in Germany as well to qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

dottybows wrote: »
    Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right Forum for this.

I'm having a baby next month and I was wondering what the rules are with citizenship/passports.
    I am German,born and raised in Germany, have a german Passport/ Citizenship and have been living in Ireland for 7 years.
    My Partner is Irish and has an Irish Passport but was born in England.

What Nationality/Citizenship will our child have? The baby will be born in Ireland. Is this automatic or do we have to apply for it all? Is the fact that my partner wasn't born in Ireland (both parents Irish) a problem?

I was only thinking about this last night and would like my child to have the german Citizenship/Nationality as well. I don't really feel the need to get him/her a german passport as I don't think there are any benefits, but I would like him/her to have the option to get one if he/she wants to later in life.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Put simply your child will be both an Irish and German Citizen at birth. I assume as child is born in Ireland you need nothing more than the child's birth cert. You will need to confirm do you have to register the birth with the nearest German Embassy. As your husband was born in the UK you can also check out British nationality as same may also apply. All 3 countries allow multiple citizenships and in theory the child could hold 3 passports, considering they are all EU passports not really much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dottybows

Thank you all for the comments.
    I contacted the German Embassy and this is what they said:

Your child will automatically acquire German citizenship by birth and you can apply for a German passport. If you are not married and have sole custody, your child will have your last name in the 'German legal range' (Rechtsbereich?). However, a name declaration in favor of the surname of your partner is also possible. You also have the opportunity to document the birth of your child in Germany and to get a German birth certificate.

It's worth getting the German birth certificate. Probably the same as in Slovakia where it gives the child access to medical services. Slovakia also makes a cash payment, it may be the same in Germany.

• Advertisement

It's worth getting the German birth certificate. Probably the same as in Slovakia where it gives the child access to medical services. Slovakia also makes a cash payment, it may be the same in Germany.

A cash payment for what?

Parents here used to get it upon the birth of the child from the government. It was then changed to the free preschool year.
    Slovakia gave 800euro.

Parents here used to get it upon the birth of the child from the government. It was then changed to the free preschool year.
    Slovakia gave 800euro.

I'm sorry, I'm trying to get this right..

So Slovakia paid €800 for a child that was not born in Slovakia and who does not live in Slovakia? You just had to get a slovakian birth cert at the Embassy?
    Why would they pay that?

dottybows wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I'm trying to get this right..

So Slovakia paid €800 for a child that was not born in Slovakia and who does not live in Slovakia? You just had to get a slovakian birth cert at the Embassy?
    Why would they pay that?

That was the rules until recently, they changed the rules at the start of the year. Someone probably asked the same question you did.
    The major advantage to us is that our kids have free health care in Slovakia until they are 18 due to their births being registered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Irish citizen parent needs to include their irish passport with the child's irish passport application.

You will need the child's birth cert, which you get on registering the birth, more than a fortnight after the birth. If you're married, only one parent needs to register the birth, there's no need for the other parent and child to go along, but you can.
    if you're not married both parents need to go. Dunno about civil partnerships

I take photos of little miss Carawaysticks on a pale bedsheet or towel and print them in B&W on the printer at home, the passport application form outlines the size/shape of the pictures, and eyes open, mouth closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement