Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems retrieving post from previous rental

Options
  • 06-03-2014 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

I moved some months ago from rented accommodation. I didn't update my address immediately and a good amount of post was sent to the old address after I moved. [My partner was dangerously sick and I was put in the role of carer.] This post included social welfare cheques from xmas. I'm on the part time register. I need this money.

I have gone to the letting agent several times asking about retrieving my post. They have not been helpful. Yesterday they said that the new tenant told them there was nothing there for me. This is not true. I have caught them in lies before and have written evidence of such - regarding return of deposit among other things. I also found proof that our tenancy was never registered - something they advertise that they look after.

They also said that the post was my own responsibility. I told them that it is illegal to withhold post, that they didn't get a new tenant straight away when we moved - so they should have been able to acocunt for that post, and it was their responsibility.

I have also gone over to the old address in person, but not caught the new tenant at home.

What can I do to get our post? It seems like my only options are to badger the letting agent or camp outside the old address - I pass there a lot and see no evidence there is anyone living there, never mind been able to catch them.

Another question [which belongs in another forum] - can I ask the social welfare office to reissue the cheques if they have been destroyed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The letting agent and/or new tenants should have written "not at this address" on the post and sent it back, for the first few weeks. Beyond that many may be inclined to file the post in the recycling bin. They have no obligation to store it for you, certainly not for months. It is your responsibility to ensure that your postal address is current.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I moved some months ago from rented accommodation. I didn't update my address immediately and a good amount of post was sent to the old address after I moved. [My partner was dangerously sick and I was put in the role of carer.] This post included social welfare cheques from xmas. I'm on the part time register. I need this money.

I have gone to the letting agent several times asking about retrieving my post. They have not been helpful. Yesterday they said that the new tenant told them there was nothing there for me. This is not true. I have caught them in lies before and have written evidence of such - regarding return of deposit among other things. I also found proof that our tenancy was never registered - something they advertise that they look after.

They also said that the post was my own responsibility. I told them that it is illegal to withhold post, that they didn't get a new tenant straight away when we moved - so they should have been able to acocunt for that post, and it was their responsibility.

I have also gone over to the old address in person, but not caught the new tenant at home.

What can I do to get our post? It seems like my only options are to badger the letting agent or camp outside the old address - I pass there a lot and see no evidence there is anyone living there, never mind been able to catch them.

Another question [which belongs in another forum] - can I ask the social welfare office to reissue the cheques if they have been destroyed?

It is possible all right to have cheques reissued. Mail can be forwarded by an post if you give them a forwarding address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It is possible all right to have cheques reissued. Mail can be forwarded by an post if you give them a forwarding address.
    Thanks. I did set up the mail forwarding by An Post. Took a few weeks to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

SW will reissue cheques no problem if they haven't been cashed. Takes about a week for it to come through. They have to post them due to the way they are printed.

Make sure SW know you have moved address, this is important for the cheque to go to the right place and your continuing eligibility. Your SW office maybe different now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it is your responsibility to change your address and not the letting agents responsibility to look after your post for you.

Ultimately it seems the post is gone now so really no point in trying to blame others when you didn't change your address (appreciate you had other things on), best just get those cheques reissued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Well for starters the EA has no entitlement to enter your old rental to retrieve your post. The people living there now have rights after all !!!

If you messed up and didnt sort out your forwarding then you go sort it yourself. If they werent in when you called last time call again looking for the post and repeat until you get in touch with them.

If its there its there if not unless you have proof of delivery i.e registered letters that were signed for then dont go around accusing people of taking your post.

Your mess you sort it out.

Advertisement