Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding the Family Law Act - and how property (and debts) might be dealt

Options
  • 06-03-2014 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Why is it this forum especially that posters will ask a question only for them to dismiss any given that doesn't suit them?? The responders have nothing to gain by giving you advice and yet just because it's not what you want to hear?

Anyhow I've gone through a kind of similar situation regarding the family home act. Yes your wife is responsible for any existing mortgage debt (or profit if that was the case, would you keep any gains that you would have gotten if this was 2006?) that you might have. Look up the Family Home Act and see what it says. If she was to get a mortgage (which she won't) or even buy it for a cash and you and your family live there for a short period of time then you both are deemed to have an interest in the property. There is no other way about it. Perhaps if your wife bought a property for cash as an investment then it might be different but not sure on that.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Joe- I've split off your post into its own thread- incase you'd like to go into more detail and discuss it further.

Regards,

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

but we cannot discuss legal opinion as per the charter ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

D3PO wrote: »
    but we cannot discuss legal opinion as per the charter ?

You can have a general discussion.
    You can't offer legal advice.
    We can't offer legal advice anywhere on the site- its not specific to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Joe- I've split off your post into its own thread- incase you'd like to go into more detail and discuss it further.

Regards,

The_Conductor

Thanks conductor, I think its something that would be good to be discussed as it seems to be coming up more and more, I suppose that bought during the boom days have either gotten married since then or their circumstances are changing and they are looking to move on and not realise that even though the past purchases didnt include their partner at the time now that now they are classed as a single entity by not only the law but the banks.

Advertisement