Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Results

Options
  • 06-03-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Hi all

New website set-up that has a list of Race results since 2010. If your race is missing then just submit the results to the site. There are quite a lot their at the moment so obviously who ever setup this did their research.

http://www.runnerslevel.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

good idea.. but what is the runners level?
    https://runnerslevel.ie/leaderboard

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Is the "runner's level" weighted in favour of quantity of race results rather than quality?

& some suggestions:

Functionality should allow people to claim alternate spellings of their name, as you often see misspellings and typos in race results.

Also, might include the Dublin Graded series? And overseas races where online results are available.

You should send them your feedback. They may not read Boards.
    Sacksian wrote:
    Is the "runner's level" weighted in favour of quantity of race results rather than quality?
    From the website:
    Your overall Level works like a handicapping system. As you run faster races and score higher, your overall level will increase. Lower times will also have an affect on your level, but their impact carries less weight.
    Sacksian wrote:
    Functionality should allow people to claim alternate spellings of their name, as you often see misspellings and typos in race results.
    It already allows people to claim alternate spellings of their name. One of the results offered to me had a single letter different in our names. Not sure how their algorithm works though. Perhaps only single letter differences?
    Sacksian wrote: »
    Also, might include the Dublin Graded series? And overseas races where online results are available.
    Seems to be up to the individual race organizers to supply race results, which makes sense.

You should send them your feedback. They may not read Boards.

From the website:

It already allows people to claim alternate spellings of their name. One of the results offered to me had a single letter different in our names. Not sure how their algorithm works though. Perhaps only single letter differences?

Seems to be up to the individual race organizers to supply race results, which makes sense.

Sorry, I thought the OP was connected to it - just wanted to throw my five cents into the discussion anyway!

Re: levels - I read the description on the website but if I start from a high base and run very few races, my "level" will seem quite low compared to others with less room to improve.

Re: names - not for me, unfortunately. Although mine usually involves english/irish spellings or random punctuation. I can see another result of mine but can't claim it.

Re: race results - would it not make more sense if the site collected the results, thus creating an incentive for people to sign up to claim results? It's more in the site's interest to collate the results - can't see why race organisers would be bothered.

• Advertisement

Sacksian wrote: »
    Re: levels - I read the description on the website but if I start from a high base and run very few races, my "level" will seem quite low compared to others with less room to improve.
    In that situation, I would've though that your level would be a reflection of how close you are to the WR (taking your age and gender into account). Doesn't seem logical that the number of races would have an impact.

Good point on the 'result claiming'. As for the site searching for race results (rather than RDs submitting them), seems like a lot of overhead for somebody (particularly for races like the graded meets, which usually have ~8 people per race). It's an entirely free site/service (though I'd imagine advertising revenue is in their plan), so why should they do all the work? RDs should upload their results and get a little free advertising in exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brendy08

Hi all,

The website is the work of my brother and brother in law. I've been living in England for the past 9 years and a few years back a runbritain website was launched which I joined. My brother and I have a healthy competitive rivalry and we thought it would be a good idea to set up something similar in Ireland so we set about collecting results since 2010 and building a website.

The wesbite has only just gone live and is still being tweaked but so far feedback has been positive. I approached Ecoli as a moderator of the site as we didn't want to breach any of boards rules and he has given some good feedback. The people on boards represent our core target market so any feedback you wish to send is greatly appreciated.

In answer to some of the comments above, Krusty was not far off the mark in his responses.

We will still be capturing results but we have also added the ability for RD's to submit them as this ensures they won't be missed and will also be added quicker. If you can not claim a result just email the site and we will respond as soon as possible. Again as Krusty said you are not "punished" for running more races and the formulae is based on WR for your age. Much like a golf handicap, your level goes down much slower than it goes up.

If anybody wants to know more/has any other questions please ask and please try the website for yourself.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Nice concept, well done.

Brendy08 wrote: »
    Again as Krusty said you are not "punished" for running more races and the formulae is based on WR for your age. Much like a golf handicap, your level goes down much slower than it goes up.

If anybody wants to know more/has any other questions please ask and please try the website for yourself.

Thanks

Hi - just to clarify my comment on the level calculation.

My observation was that the initial level calculation seemed to "punish" you for running fewer races, not that you were "punished" for running more! This is based on the fact that my one available result (an age-graded time of 84% or so), gives me a low level (of just over 40). That's why I was wondering what the distribution was between quality (% of WR) and quantity (nr. of races) in the calculation for determining levels.

Anyway, all the best with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Great idea.
    I was happily surprised when i put in my details to see the no. of races over the past few years that i had run including a good few that I had forgot my times and there was even a couple of races which i had completely forgot I'd completed !
    At the moment I'm still on an upward curve with my running so I'm delighted to have another motivational tool to help me along, thx.

Mr.W :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement