Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Grass.......... Indoors

• 06-03-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on growing some grass, indoors, in an office. Essentially it's a wedding prank on our boss who is away for several weeks. Everyone in the office has an excellent rapport with him and it will be received with the good humour its intended.

Essentially we're looking to recreate the prank in the link below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517968/What-turf-growing-desk-Engineer-returns-week-holiday-office-pranksters-covered-entire-workspace-GRASS.html

article-2517968-19D4A6E600000578-183_634x286.jpg

The grass has been bought and I know what we'll need in terms of a foam border, a water repellent liner and soil. What I've come here to ask about is a light source. We're in the office for the best part of 9-10 hours per day so we can have the light on while we're here.
    I'm wondering however what sort of light we should be using. Ideally we would like to keep the cost down as it is just for a bit of fun.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Why not just buy a couple rolls of lawn turf and a few full size seed trays. Cut them to size to fit in the seed trays adjust with soil and leave them outside. Then the day before your boss is due back bring them inside (let them drain) and then place them on his desk over plastic sheeting. Would be a lot less work and seed germination could leave you dissappointed with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    Why not just buy a couple rolls of lawn turf and a few full size seed trays. Cut them to size to fit in the seed trays adjust with soil and leave them outside. Then the day before your boss is due back bring them inside (let them drain) and then place them on his desk over plastic sheeting. Would be a lot less work and seed germination could leave you dissappointed with the results.
    This would be a good option save a bit of time too.
    The lights on fir the day while yous are working will work the heat in the office will help to..

Nice prank by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

LurkerNo1 wrote: »

That's a great idea but we're on the 1st floor so can't really access an outside space. That said however I might be able to access the roof....... if I ask nicely.

As you mentioned, it could be a much easier option. Worst comes to worst though, do you have any lighting recommendation? I'd like to cover all my options!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Why don't you or one of your work colleges just do it at home and bring it in the day before your boss comes back. At least with the roll you have instant grass and all you need to do is not let it dry out.
    Don't know about the cost of that type of lighting I'm pretty sure it's grow light. Besides the mess it could make I wouldn't fancy having to water all around the bosses desk without doing some damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Just plant cress seeds, far easier to do. All they need is moist tissue/kitchen towel and off they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on growing some grass, indoors, in an office. Essentially it's a wedding prank on our boss who is away for several weeks. Everyone in the office has an excellent rapport with him and it will be received with the good humour its intended.

Essentially we're looking to recreate the prank in the link below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517968/What-turf-growing-desk-Engineer-returns-week-holiday-office-pranksters-covered-entire-workspace-GRASS.html

article-2517968-19D4A6E600000578-183_634x286.jpg

The grass has been bought and I know what we'll need in terms of a foam border, a water repellent liner and soil. What I've come here to ask about is a light source. We're in the office for the best part of 9-10 hours per day so we can have the light on while we're here.
    I'm wondering however what sort of light we should be using. Ideally we would like to keep the cost down as it is just for a bit of fun.

Would it not be easier, cheaper and with no mess to use synthetic grass?

Advertisement