Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayne Rooney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney is a great player but not World class or a football legend
    I voted for the world class option, but the wording of the options is misleading. He's one of the best strikers in the world for me. He's in a large group of class attacking players who are all behind Messi and Ronaldo imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Rooney is good but very overrated
    Pro. F wrote: »
    So 7 months on and you are still using the same flawed argument about Rooney's goal scoring record. Here's the response I gave you last summer, it still applies now:

Back then you were claiming that Rooney was an average striker and that Suarez, Tevez, Mario Gomez, Higuin and more were all world class. Now, when the question of world class comes up, you're claiming that Suarez, RvP, Ozil, Mata, Hazard, Cavani, Falcao, Robben, Ibrahimovic, van Nistelrooy and more aren't/weren't world class. That's quite a change of perspective. It's almost like you will argue anything as long as you can use it to criticise Rooney.

first of all i never claimed they where world class. i said that people say they are world class. i dont think they are personally

secondly its ridiculous to say that RVP has been one of teh best strikers over the last decade when he has been injured for most of it. he has been one of the best in the last few years since he has been fit. in the 3 years he has hit above that 16 goals in all 3 years and looks to do so again this season making 4 in a row compared to rooneys...................

as for drogba he was never world class. an effective striker yes. he was a great striker. but ffs a world class striker who scores more than 12 goals in the league in 8 years??????

wow its like a back slapping fest here. yea real zingers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Paulegend wrote: »
    first of all i never claimed they where world class. i said that people say they are world class. i dont think they are personally

secondly its ridiculous to say that RVP has been one of teh best strikers over the last decade when he has been injured for most of it. he has been one of the best in the last few years since he has been fit. in the 3 years he has hit above that 16 goals in all 3 years and looks to do so again this season making 4 in a row compared to rooneys...................

as for drogba he was never world class. an effective striker yes. he was a great striker. but ffs a world class striker who scores more than 12 goals in the league in 8 years??????

Dennis%20Bergkamp%20(39).jpg

ok out of curiosity what is the criteria for world class?

Yes you did:
    Lewandowski
    Higguain
    Suarez
    Tevez
    Falcao
    Mario Gomez
    Neymar
    Villa
    Cavani

all the above are world class stikers who are/where arguably up for sale this summer.
    link

I could argue with you about Drogba and RvP but it's obvious that would be pointless. You have no intention of discussing the topic honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Drogba was an absolute brilliant forward, easily world class and on his day untouchable, he was also a great team player, Kenny Daglish wasn't exactly prolific either, neither was Dennis Bergkamp. Doesn't mean they weren't world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mario gomez world class???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Rooney is horribly overrated and not all that good
    but would you not think he could at least do an effective job at right back or in defensive mid if he really had to?

of course he could

that been said im not saying that he is or isnt world class. im just saying he could play the role and do a great job

Vidic wouldnt be effective every position on the pitch requires different attributes. Some players will adapt easier to other positions others will struggle. This doesnt matter if they are world class or not. A world class player will be world class in his best position and not so good in another position. There is no way an attacking player should be able to slot seamlessly into another attacking position and likewise with a defensive player.

Yes you did:
    link

I could argue with you about Drogba and RvP but it's obvious that would be pointless. You have no intention of discussing the topic honestly.

again i was talking about players that people considered world class. while you seem to have time to go through my past posts i dont. if you want you can have a look at them and im pretty sure i mentioned it a billion times that i only think the world class label should be used very very sparingly.

people seem to think just because im saying a player isnt world class its because i think they are sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i never said/thought those players where world class. if you somehow interpreted it that way or just using one picked out posts from i dont know how long ago as your evidence to the contrary so be it. that doesnt change what i am saying and that is that i dont think Rooney is world class

honest question what do you consider the requirements for world class

• Advertisement

Vidic wouldnt be effective every position on the pitch requires different attributes. Some players will adapt easier to other positions others will struggle. This doesnt matter if they are world class or not. A world class player will be world class in his best position and not so good in another position. There is no way an attacking player should be able to slot seamlessly into another attacking position and likewise with a defensive player.

that in my opinion is the difference between the messis of the world and the totti's

again i was talking about players that people considered world class. while you seem to have time to go through my past posts i dont. if you want you can have a look at them and im pretty sure i mentioned it a billion times that i only think the world class label should be used very very sparingly.

people seem to think just because im saying a player isnt world class its because i think they are sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i never said/thought those players where world class. if you somehow interpreted it that way or just using one picked out posts from i dont know how long ago as your evidence to the contrary so be it. that doesnt change what i am saying and that is that i dont think Rooney is world class

honest question what do you consider the requirements for world class

Yes you did. You said those players were world class:
    all the above are world class stikers who are/where arguably up for sale this summer.
    link

Yes you did. You said those players were world class:
    link

context my friend but lets not let that get in the way of the thread eh?? im sure youll get a few thanks for it

as i said i said world class in terms of what players people thought where world class at the time

pathetic argument thanked by pathetic ideas that it justifies rooney as a world class player which he certainly is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

as i said i said world class in terms of what players people thought where world class at the time

pathetic argument thanked by pathetic ideas that it justifies rooney as a world class player which he certainly is not
    Who's world class out of these?
    Aguero, Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic, RvP, Falcao, Suarez and Cavani.

Who's world class out of these?
    Aguero, Lewandowski, RvP, Falcao, Suarez and Cavani.

as i said i wouldnt consider any of them world class

what criteria do you have for world class??

its easy to slag off my definition and stay on the fence but put your money where your mouth is. what defines world class??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Lads, I'm sure that ye think ye are very entertaining but put the handbags down for a minute. I posted this in the United thread a few weeks ago about Carrick when people said he was world class, it fits very well here for Rooney.

"One way to settle the Carrick world class debate.

If you were picking a world 11 would he be in it? No.

If you were picking 5/6 central midfielders who could be in a world squad, would be be in it? No.

If you were asked to pick the 10 best midfielders in world football, would he be mentioned? No.

If you were picking a premier league 11, would he be in the centre of that midfield or even on the bench as backup? No."

Rooney would be mentioned on the bench in a PL 11 and definitely in the 10 best strikers on the planet when he is on form. He isn't at the top level of Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero, Zlatan etc but he is on the level just below them.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

this is an open forum with many different view points and opinions.

please stop as you come across as trying to ram yours down everyone else throat.

especially on very subjective discussion on who is World class or not.

its getting tiresome.

context my friend but lets not let that get in the way of the thread eh?? im sure youll get a few thanks for it

I've checked all your other posts in that discussion. At no point did you explain about how you didn't actually think the players you were calling world class were world class.

So do you still think that Rooney is an "average striker" and Darren Bent is a "similarly skilled player"? That's what you were saying last July remember.

• Advertisement

I've checked all your other posts in that discussion. At no point did you explain about how you didn't actually think the players you were calling world class were world class.

So do you still think that Rooney is an "average striker" and Darren Bent is a "similarly skilled player"? That's what you were saying last July remember.

looking for more quick thanks without offering anything fresh?? your like soooo popular:rolleyes:

i may have suggested that Darren Bent (when on form for Villa btw) was as effective a striker as Rooney

you have way too much time on your hands to be going through peoples past posts

get over it

its easy to slag off my definition and stay on the fence but put your money where your mouth is. what defines world class??

I'm not slagging off your definition of world class, if your definition is one player for each position, that's fair enough, I already said in my first post that it's very subjective. I didn't vote on this poll because of that.

Your argument over whether they can play in other positions completely goes against that definition. That's what I'm finding strange.

I'd have a much looser definition than you. All of the players I mentioned would get in for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Love threads like this. Car crash stuff from Paulegend but he just won't give up. That's the kind of work rate Rooney himself would be proud of.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    this is an open forum with many different view points and opinions.

please stop as you come across as trying to ram yours down everyone else throat.

especially on very subjective discussion on who is World class or not.

its getting tiresome.

im not trying to ram anything anywhere. i stated my point and my point was thrown back as if i didnt know what i was talking about. i continued and now i have "thanks whore's" throwing stupid crap

same story different day. you either say the popular thing or your an idiot

nothing at all wrong with what i said i considered world class. hell i f*cking said i agree that everyone has their own definitions but that wasnt good enough.

but no your looking at what im saying as if im the d*ckhead here. not the ones dragging up out of context posts to just try to get a couple of thanks from people

looking for more quick thanks without offering anything fresh??

you have way too much time on your hands to be going through peoples past posts

get over it

Maybe take your own advice and get over people thanking posts, which is basically showing you agree with someone.

Whatever you post here is there for anybody to quite easily drag up again in the future, you should be prepared to stand by it or don't post it.

tumblr_mughdge8e21rudjnno1_500.gif

• Advertisement

Love threads like this. Car crash stuff from Paulegend but he just won't give up. That's the kind of work rate Rooney himself would be proud of.

prime example of another clever post made just to get the popular thanks

come up with an opinion mate

car crash stuff??? what have i said thats wrong???

typical

im not trying to ram anything anywhere.
    pathetic ideas that it justifies rooney as a world class player which he certainly is not

that's only your opinion

I'm not slagging off your definition of world class, if your definition is one player for each position, that's fair enough, I already said in my first post that it's very subjective. I didn't vote on this poll because of that.

Your argument over whether they can play in other positions completely goes against that definition. That's what I'm finding strange.

I'd have a much looser definition than you. All of the players I mentioned would get in for me.

thats fair enough im not arguing that. your well within your right to think Gareth Barry is a world class player if youd like

i agree that its subjective. the only reason im even bloody arguing is because people are questioning my reasoning
    Maybe take your own advice and get over people thanking posts, which is basically showing you agree with someone.

Whatever you post here is there for anybody to quite easily drag up again in the future, you should be prepared to stand by it or don't post it.

im not denying anything that ive ever posted. im stating that its a bit nuts to try to drag something up out of context to try to disprove something that means jack sh*t

prime example of another clever post made just to get the popular thanks

come up with an opinion mate

car crash stuff??? what have i said thats wrong???

typical

What have you said wrong? Suarez not world class would be top of my list anyway.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    that's only your opinion

yes. but im not claiming it to be set in stone or paraded for everyone to see on the 17th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

im not trying to ram anything anywhere.

At this point you have posted 39 times out of 132 posts in the thread.

Its was supposed to be about Rooney, not Paulegend.

What have you said wrong? Suarez not world class would be top of my list anyway.

subjective.

if you think he is thats great

i think that he could become world class but i think that it should be reserved for the top couple of players. im not saying that people are wrong if they want to call him world class. or rooney for that matter.

At this point you have posted 39 times out of 132 posts in this thread.

Its was supposed to be about Rooney, not Paulegend.

almost as good as rooneys goals to games :D

i really wish it could go back to talking about rooney

theres no place like home, theres no place like home, theres no place like home

subjective.

if you think he is thats great

i think that he could become world class but i think that it should be reserved for the top couple of players. im not saying that people are wrong if they want to call him world class. or rooney for that matter.

Become? He's not 18. How could he possibly improve on his performances of the last 18 months?

Become? He's not 18. How could he possibly improve on his performances of the last 18 months?

well if he repeats this performance next season when we have champions league and he starts scoring more frequent against bigger teams then that would be an improvement on the last 18 months. im not slagging him off i love suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bar Ibrahimovic, that's all of the top strikers out there. Who is a world class striker in your book?

well if he repeats this performance next season when we have champions league and he starts scoring more frequent against bigger teams then that would be an improvement on the last 18 months. im not slagging him off i love suarez

I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Suarez not world class...give me a break. Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez/Ibrahimovic in that order are the top players in the world you wont hear many argue with that.

Messi Ronaldo and Xavi/Iniesta are the ONLY players i would regard as world class

i can see why people would also mention ribery robben falcao ibr suarez rooney etc and thats fair enough

im not saying they are wrong. but i will say that because its subjective im also not wrong

if someone wants to draw up a list of a billion world class players fair juice to them but as i said i personally in my own opinion (nobody elses) i think world class is a label that is too freely given around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Messi Ronaldo and Xavi/Iniesta are the ONLY players i would regard as world class

i can see why people would also mention ribery robben falcao ibr suarez rooney etc and thats fair enough

im not saying they are wrong. but i will say that because its subjective im also not wrong

if someone wants to draw up a list of a billion world class players fair juice to them but as i said i personally in my own opinion (nobody elses) i think world class is a label that is too freely given around

How can only 4 players be world class? The very definition of world class is the top in their field, obviously you can be subjective with specifics but how are the best defenders and goalkeepers in the world not world class? It doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement

The fact that Xavi is a shadow of the player he was 3 years ago makes that an even stupider point.

How can only 4 players be world class? The very definition of world class is the top in their field, obviously you can be subjective with specifics but how are the best defenders and goalkeepers in the world not world class? It doesn't make any sense.

get over it

again this is showing that i am not ramming my opinions down anyones throat but getting this same crap coming back at me.

i think world class is a label used to define the very best in the game

these players are the ones i would consider the best in the game

in 30/40 years time noone will be able to name 10 top strikers from 2014

world class is the very best in the world imo

you dont have to like it

i may have suggested that Darren Bent (when on form for Villa btw) was as effective a striker as Rooney

No, last July you said:
    why would any club in their right mind ever want rooney unless they are just looking to fill the homegrown rule and there is a much cheaper and similarly skilled player available in darren bent.
    link

The fact that Xavi is a shadow of the player he was 3 years ago makes that an even stupider point.

xavi/iniesta

xavi was still top of his game up to last season to be fair. but i did mention Xavi/Iniesta but im sure youll get your thanks for trying to be clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Xavi has gotten very leggy, I don't think he is in that world class bracket anymore. So 4 attacking/midfield players are world class, you don't consider any defenders world class? Silva or Kompany maybe?

No, last July you said:
    link

yea in terms of goal scoring................................ why the f*ck do you even care this much??

rob316 wrote: »
    Xavi has gotten very leggy, I don't think he is in that world class bracket anymore. So 4 attacking/midfield players are world class, you don't consider any defenders world class? Silva or Kompany maybe?

just an opinion im not trying to tattoo my findings on to your buttocks

xavi/iniesta

xavi was still top of his game up to last season to be fair. but i did mention Xavi/Iniesta but im sure youll get your thanks for trying to be clever

Could you clear that up a bit?

They're both world class or neither are? The partnership is?

Could you clear that up a bit?

They're both world class or neither are? The partnership is?

do you not think the term world class should be more exclusive?? how many players would be world class in your eyes?

yea sure i said Xavi/Iniesta or you could take it as "xavi or maybe Iniesta" is that more clear??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I voted great player, not world class. Personally for me he doesnt score enough goals and thats the only difference between him and world class, he has everything else in his locker but he just isnt clinical enough, in 11/12 season where he was banging them in he was easily world class but not anymore. He misses too many chances from open play. He's only scored 20 or more goals in all competitions in 4 seasons out of 12. For a "striker" that simply isnt good enough. I know people will say well Fergie played him out on the wing etc but that was only for a season or two and if he was scoring regularly he wouldnt have been moved around so much.

Advertisement