Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most racist person you ever met.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Would you willy nilly, if you owned a pub/ hotel?

Not my point,my point is racism isn't only whites against blacks or vice versa it's also the way travellers are treated?un from sa,not a racist vibe in my body but if you never lived in an apartheid country u got no experience to have an opinion.go live in sa for a year or two then come back and see if u still of the Dane mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ash23 wrote: »
    My granny was unbelievably racist. It was really just borne from ignorance as she probably never even saw a black person until she was in her 60s.

I recall a very embarrassing incident when we were at the hospital (she was late 70s at this stage) and I went up and got us soup and bread rolls. She refused to eat the bread roll because the "big black man touched it". I explained he was wearing gloves but she would have none of it.

My grandmother was never a racist as far as I knew, but once she was in hospital recovering from an operation, would have been in her 80's, and very much under the influence of medication. A black doctor was talking to her and she whispered very loudly to my sister 'You wouldn't think a place like this would let those sort of people in here'. The following day she was talking about the human experiments the hospital was conducting on black people, again within earshot of said doctor. You just had to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I live in a small parish in a rural village, met no racist yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

marc96 wrote: »
    Not my point,my point is racism isn't only whites against blacks or vice versa it's also the way travellers are treated?un from sa,not a racist vibe in my body but if you never lived in an apartheid country u got no experience to have an opinion.go live in sa for a year or two then come back and see if u still of the Dane mindset.

Christ whatever point is hidden in there is hard to read.

I think there is a great difference between racism (disliking a group because of where they are from, or their colour) and common sense risk minimisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

WikiHow, have u joined boards.ie in December of 2013?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

My grandmother was never a racist as far as I knew, but once she was in hospital recovering from an operation, would have been in her 80's, and very much under the influence of medication. A black doctor was talking to her and she whispered very loudly to my sister 'You wouldn't think a place like this would let those sort of people in here'. The following day she was talking about the human experiments the hospital was conducting on black people, again within earshot of said doctor. You just had to laugh.

Reading this thread is telling me it's old Irish ladies are the most racist people out there :D
    I reckon this is a Catholic church throw back. Another racist bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

road_high wrote: »
    Reading this thread is telling me it's old Irish ladies are the most racist people out there :D
    I wonder how they feel about black priests :confused:

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'm not racist I just don't like blacks :) joke

The fact that u don't like blacks doesn't make you a racist. If u say that as a white person u r superior to blacks, then u can call urself a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

road_high wrote: »

I think it's just that the only experience the older generations had of black people was what they were told when charities or churches were looking for money. All black people in their minds were poor, starving, diseased and in need.

They just didn't realise that some black people are educated etc. because they had never met, seen on tv or been told about black people being "the same" as them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I was in Germany last weekend staying with a friend of a friend who was obsessed with his hatred for Turkish people. It was awful, every hour we were there he mentioned Turkish people and said horrendous things. He even went up a German soldier of Turkish descent to complain about Turks, saying "You're ok but the rest of them are sh!t." Horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People are the biggest racists I know. The ones that are racist because of ignorance are bad enough, but it's the ones who know better that are the big problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The most shocking racist incident I ever witnessed was on Parliament Street in Dublin. A black man walked out of Spar onto the path, and a little boy no more than 8 said 'Get out of my way n*****'. As my mouth hung open in disbelief, the adult beside him looked down and said 'well done son'. :eek:

A friend who is in the 'I'm not racist, but' category once gushed that she knew her (ill-fated) relationship was meant to be when after their first date they both wanted to wait for a white taxi driver, letting four taxis go in the process. She has been on a charity-tourism stint in Africa though, so she's definitely not racist!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People are the biggest racists I know.

People. We'd be better off without them wouldn't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

A black person who was in a bad temper and acting the ass - didn't mention anything about race but was acting the ass so that's = racist... "they've" some chip on their shoulder.

Am I doing this right?

All in your head dude.

Didnt mention anything racist, the first thing she said was 'you are a stupid white bastard, I know my rights, you are against me cause im black' but thars not racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Just about most Dublin taxi drivers with a weight issue are racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Never met him but Jamie Foxx seems a bit racist

iDave wrote: »
    Never met him but Jamie Foxx seems a bit racist

Denzel Washington too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

All Australians I have ever met

All South Africans I have ever met (Black and white)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

eviltwin wrote: »
    I was at the bus stop one day when a guy walked past and threw an empty beer bottle at a black girl beside me hitting her on the head and shouted some racist abuse. She was only a kid of about 13/14. I felt so ashamed to be white I can tell you.

Why should you be ashamed to be white because of the actions of some scumbag?

Should all black people be ashamed to be black because of the actions of Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale?

Come to think of it, projecting the actions of some scumbag onto an entire race seems like something that a racist would do - so maybe be ashamed of doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

blackwhite wrote: »
    Why should you be ashamed to be white because of the actions of some scumbag?

Should all black people be ashamed to be black because of the actions of Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale?

Come to think of it, projecting the actions of some scumbag onto an entire race seems like something that a racist would do - so maybe be ashamed of doing that.

Did I say all Irish people or white people for that matter are racist?

I'm not ashamed to be white but in that moment I was and I'll tell you why.

There was just me and that girl at the bus stop, I went over to her to see was she okay and for a second she flinched from me. I don't know why but it crossed my mind maybe she was worried I was of the same mentality as the idiot who attacked her. Once I spoke to her she was grand but it made me think about things from her point of view. I can't imagine how hard it must be to wear your difference in your skin, you can't hide it and I'd say if you are on the end of a racist incident you probably would feel a bit nervous that it might happen again.

For a child to have to experience that at such a young age well, yes I was ashamed that someone of my ethnic group, my country, my town would treat someone that way.

• Advertisement

I'd say if you are on the end of a racist incident you probably would feel a bit nervous that it might happen again. .

I was on the end of a racist incident and did not feel a bit nervous coz of it. I felt nervous because of what happened prior to racist incident. Did not care about racist words, just told to person to fcuk off and went on about my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

S.R. wrote: »
    I was on the end of a racist incident and did not feel a bit nervous coz of it. I felt nervous because of what happened prior to racist incident. Did not care about racist words, just told to person to fcuk off and went on about my business.

This was a child though, its a bit different.

And of course I have to say that I was adult and this girl just 12/13 yo, which makes difference.

upps, a bit late.))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

cerastes wrote: »
    This is one of those things I'm glad I didn't look or jump to the end to read, I was wondering how it was going to pan out, needless to say, I'm relieved. Thought you might have been one of those flat earthers.

Relieved at how incorrect the poster was?:confused:

S.R. wrote: »
    The fact that u don't like blacks doesn't make you a racist. If u say that as a white person u r superior to blacks, then u can call urself a racist.

Disliking a whole race of people you don't know because of the colour of their skin does indeed make you racist.

Disliking all black people on that sole basis presupposes you feel there is something inherently wrong, bad, lesser, or suspicious about them that validates your dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Guy I worked with in his 50's was probably the most racist person I had known. I didn't think he was actually that racist though just talked like he was.

I have a black friend and we always joke around calling each other names, harmless stuff really. We both know we would never maliciously say the same things to the other race.

As a whole I think the Irish workplace is incredibly racist without even knowing they are most the time. Many people are just stuck in there old ways and don't think before talking.

I had a customer before in one of our retails stores, it was our really busy period and the queues were huge. I was serving at the counter and this black gentleman jumped the queue, I calmly told him go back. He then accused me of been racist and letting the white people ahead and said he was in the queue the whole time! I didn't tolerate that and asked him to leave the store. He then went on a local radio station about it, dragging our name through the dirt, they rang us on air and we had to explain exactly what happened. He went as far to say this wasn't the first time this happened, he claimed his friend was also racially victimised in the same store. More black people rang in supporting the man and his "cause". We went on air and simply said if anyone wants to see our CCTV footage they can pop in and we will show them that this man is a liar.

We sent the footage to the local radio station and the next day they apologised on air for entertaining this man's claims and cleared our name so to speak. We sued the station and man afterwards for airing baseless accusations of racism towards us and our business.

The amazing thing about all this was the amount pro white, racist anonymous letters we got from people. Pure and utter filth some of the stuff was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If you get the train North from Connolly you end up in a place where people even hate White Northern Europeans ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My Father.

He worked in the US for a few years and is still complaining about all the 'balubaas' taking the jobs - by which he means African-Americans. You know, people who were born in the country he migrated to for economic reasons....

Eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Did I say all Irish people or white people for that matter are racist?

I'm not ashamed to be white but in that moment I was and I'll tell you why.

There was just me and that girl at the bus stop, I went over to her to see was she okay and for a second she flinched from me. I don't know why but it crossed my mind maybe she was worried I was of the same mentality as the idiot who attacked her. Once I spoke to her she was grand but it made me think about things from her point of view. I can't imagine how hard it must be to wear your difference in your skin, you can't hide it and I'd say if you are on the end of a racist incident you probably would feel a bit nervous that it might happen again.

For a child to have to experience that at such a young age well, yes I was ashamed that someone of my ethnic group, my country, my town would treat someone that way.

In a similar situation I'd also go over to the girl, but if she flinched or otherwise it wouldn't make me "ashamed to be white" - I can no more control my colour than she can. I might be conscious that she could be making assumptions about me because of my skin colour. But shame, why on earth should the actions of someone I have no connection with result in me being ashamed of my skin?

I'll rephrase the bit you ignored from my first post, if a black person observed another, completely unrelated, black person committing a crime, should they be ashamed to be black?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

My Aunt

When watching the Olympics in 1980 I innocently asked her how come the blacks are such fast runners. She replied they had an unfair advantage as they had an extra bone in their foot. So I filed this interesting nugget away & repeated it in school 2-3 years later as fact.

I can still see the teachers face. "They WHAT?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

All Australians I have ever met

All South Africans I have ever met (Black and white)

That's like me saying all Irish I've met are inbred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

My younger brother (27)

I dont know if he is trying to be the hard man or what but he says some unrepeatable things about black people.

I have had a few arguments with him when he is pissed, he starts saying Hitler had the right idea and all that. He has not got a clue.

God help me my brother is a fooking idiot. I am actually looking forward to the day he says it to the wrong person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

No it's not. It's like saying "all irish I have ever met ( black and white)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

If all Irish you ever met were in fact inbred, then there is nothing wrong with saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

sadie06 wrote: »
    The most shocking racist incident I ever witnessed was on Parliament Street in Dublin. A black man walked out of Spar onto the path, and a little boy no more than 8 said 'Get out of my way n*****'. As my mouth hung open in disbelief, the adult beside him looked down and said 'well done son'. :

Bull****. Absolute Bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

shutup wrote: »

While shocking its perfectly believable, plenty of ignorant scumbags out there. Kids pick up the worst things from there parents sometimes, why should racist behaviour be any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

MonstaMash wrote: »

"Sure how would I know, I'm from Donegal"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ush1 wrote: »
    We are apes I'm afraid, powerful ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape

Hominoidea contains two families of living (extant) species:
    •Hylobatidae consists of four genera and sixteen species of gibbon, including the lar gibbon and the siamang. They are commonly referred to as lesser apes.
    •Hominidae consists of orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and humans.[1][2] Alternatively, the hominidae family are collectively described as the great apes.[3][4][5][6] There are two extant species in the orangutan genus (Pongo), two species in the gorilla genus, and a single extant species Homo sapiens in the human genus (Homo). Chimpanzees and bonobos are closely related to each other and they represent the two species in the genus Pan.

Well, that's just racist to gibbons now! You shouldn't put them down and call them "lesser" just because of their species, it's not like they can help it. They have every right to be "greater" as much as the rest of us.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well, that's just racist to gibbons now! You shouldn't put them down and call them "lesser" just because of their species, it's not like they can help it. They have every right to be "greater" as much as the rest of us.

I know, is it coz I is hairy?

The really worrying part is the amount of people thanking that post saying we aren't apes. Deary, deary me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Ush1 wrote: »
    Relieved at how incorrect the poster was?:confused:

Relieved, because I thought they were going in a direction where they'd end up refuting any link between humans and other animals (common ancestry).

shutup wrote: »

Sorry, are you calling me a liar? If you look at my posting history, I think you'll find I am no wind-up merchant. This incident happened about 10 years ago. The dad was an absolute scumbag, and was probably the same type of person that threw a bottle at the young girl mentioned earlier in the thread.

The child was obviously imitating what he heard on a daily basis. I was completely shocked, but these things do actually happen! Nice bubble you are living in…...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

fryup wrote: »

Never mind that s*it, here comes Mongo!!!!

cerastes wrote: »
    Relieved, because I thought they were going in a direction where they'd end up refuting any link between humans and other animals (common ancestry).

Thinking humans aren't apes is fairly way off the mark. It's basic anthropology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Just to correct you, Homo Sapien refers only to Humans. Apes are not Homo Sapiens and we are not apes. In fact, we were never actually apes. We just share a common ancestry with apes.

We are collectively referred to as Hominidae

Sorry to burst your bubble pal but I'm sorry to say we are apes. You're correct that we're hominidae though......as are Gorillas, Chimpanzees and Orangatans...

Australian bird in London. Really wasn't a fan of the aborigines at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

MonstaMash wrote: »

Fr Philip Eno :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 TheJokesOnUs

<snip>

Mod: Banned

TheJokesOnUs is the most racist person I have never met!

• Advertisement
Advertisement