Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most racist person you ever met.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Paddys eat alot of potatoes....I heard :D

Is that as offensive as saying that black people in the US eat a lot of fried chicken and water melon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Is that as offensive as saying that black people in the US eat a lot of fried chicken and water melon?

I eat lots of spuds and fried chicken and water melon (had a half one just yesterday)!

Is it because I is Irish African American!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

She has lived there since year zero, she tells you the place isn't what it used to be, and she is definitely in the wrong?

Eh :confused:

Eh?

Oh you were there, were you? I didn't see you...

If she simply said, "This place isn't what it used to be", I'd hardly be posting it on here *confused face*. She was complaining about foreign people and specifically foreign people of non European decent. She then proceeded to blurt out stupid, false stereotypes based on their nationality ("The Chinese are smelly, dirty people who beat up their wives", for example). Nothing she was saying was reasonable or justified, it was racist pure and simple.

I'm foreign and also living in the area, but she didn't have a problem with me, strangely enough.

Edit: Oh and this is a woman who thinks General Franco was a pretty swell guy. If she's pining for the days of the dictatorship, then it's a little hard to see her side tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

S.R. wrote: »
    What is racist in sending kid to Irish school? Did she explain?

You rewrote my point but I think you know the answer - the reason given was that there are much less "foreigners" in Gaelscoils.
    Of course there is no evidence to suggest that is the reasons many parents send their kids to those schools.

Are people really getting banned for being racist on this thread? If so, that is just stupid. Maybe mods are trying to be heroes but the biggest problem with racism is that it is not exposed or discussed which only makes it worse. There will always be racists, all we can do is confront their fears and prejudices, not shut them up.

Birroc wrote: »
    I eat lots of spuds and fried chicken and water melon (had a half one just yesterday)!

Is it because I is Irish African American!?

Possibly. I'm not a fan of the watermelon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

K-9 wrote: »
    Others explained it to you but you don't seem to be capable/willing to grasp it. There are unemployment black spots in Ireland that still have the same problems with crime that they had 30 years ago. It's the exact same type of thinking. Skin colour isn't a factor, pretty obvious stuff to me.

I never denied that poverty and unemployment weren't an issue, I'm just stating that it's certainly not the only issue. What are the statistics on Irish crime, and violent crime? Do you believe they are similar to the statistics I'm talking about? There are statistics that are 'normal' and statistics that stand out. I'm not denying that it's not complicated but it's worthwhile pointing it out and discussing it. I have never said anything is caused by skin colour. Some people do like to put words into other people's mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

What ever happened to free speech?
    Of course there's plenty of times when people are being racist but in a lot of contexts of a supposed racism you gotta think "Offence isn't given, it's taken"

Some people are looking to be offended, waiting for the slightest hint at it or use of a supposed derogatory term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    What ever happened to free speech?
    Never existed.
    Of course there's plenty of times when people are being racist but in a lot of contexts of a supposed racism you gotta think "Offence isn't given, it's taken"
    That can be true too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pug160 wrote: »
    I never denied that poverty and unemployment weren't an issue, I'm just stating that it's certainly not the only issue. What are the statistics on Irish crime, and violent crime? Do you believe they are similar to the statistics I'm talking about? There are statistics that are 'normal' and statistics that stand out. I'm not denying that it's not complicated but it's worthwhile pointing it out and discussing it. I have never said anything is caused by skin colour. Some people do like to put words into other people's mouths.

Well, maybe you can say what it is caused by because you keep saying it is to do with poverty and unemployment, and other issues. Can you state what these other issues are because we seem to be going round in circles until you clearly state them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

A few years ago it came out that over 18 months there were more police stop-and-frisks done in New York on young black males than there were young black males living there. I initially assumed it was down to racism but Stephen Colbert had an alternative theory:
    They stopped more young black men than there are in New York City. That can mean only one of two things: either they're targeting young black men so often that the same ones are getting frisked over and over, or the much simpler explanation. Threat No. 3: Inter-dimensional Black People. Clearly there's a rift in the race time continuum -- they're coming over from other dimensions to be black at us

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

In answer to the OP my brothers mother in law.Horrible snob of a woman from a horsey background in the Curragh.She casually explained one time that she went for a checkup with the n*****er doctor.Her words,not including the asterixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

billie1b wrote: »
    A black woman I had to deal with in work, called my co-worker and myself all the white trash names you can think of, even hit me with her passport and then threw it at me but according to her we were the racists. They've some chip on their shoulders

Who do you mean by they?

A few years ago it came out that over 18 months there were more police stop-and-frisks done in New York on young black males than there were young black males living there. I initially assumed it was down to racism but Stephen Colbert had an alternative theory:

Yeah, that came up at the time when stop and searches were introduced.

It also just came up yesterday with the Stephen Lawrence apology. 20 years later blacks and Asians are far more likely to be stopped and searched. Pug160 would say stats backs that tactic up, but if you're an innocent young black or Asian male going about your business, the repeated stops would get a bit annoying after a while!

It becomes a vicious circle. I do think the police and politicians are finally getting the point that policing by statistics is lazy and backfires. They can have all the community policing initiatives they want, but the stereotypical stopping a black or Asian guy in a fancy car, will just undo all the well intentioned work.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Is this Neil Delamere's boards account? Or are you just a lil copycat
    I thought it sounded familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Yeah, that came up at the time when stop and searches were introduced.

It also just came up yesterday with the Stephen Lawrence apology. 20 years later blacks and Asians are far more likely to be stopped and searched. Pug160 would say stats backs that tactic up, but if you're an innocent young black or Asian male going about your business, the repeated stops would get a bit annoying after a while!

It becomes a vicious circle. I do think the police and politicians are finally getting the point that policing by statistics is lazy and backfires. They can have all the community policing initiatives they want, but the stereotypical stopping a black or Asian guy in a fancy car, will just undo all the well intentioned work.
    Yeah,those Police stops would want you to go out and murder someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

As a black woman married to a white Irishman, I find this thread depressing...

crockholm wrote: »
    Yeah,those Police stops would want you to go out and murder someone else.

Yeah, my post deserves a reactionary one like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Being young and arousing suspicion is, simply, an annoying part of being a young man.

I have been pulled over in airports three times for a bag swab and once more for a half hour questioning while my bag was torn apart with no explanation as to how I had aroused this level of suspicion (although the questions were largely drug related). Not to mention how much hassle bouncers give you on Dublin doors until you start to look older than your early 20's.

It's annoying, but that's life. I'd sooner have an airport that pats down disproportionate number of Muslim looking people than an airport that pulls in old grannys for a pat down just to keep the statistics in order.

In answer to the OP my brothers mother in law.Horrible snob of a woman from a horsey background in the Curragh.She casually explained one time that she went for a checkup with the n*****er doctor.Her words,not including the asterixes.

What letters are the last 2 asterixes hiding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

It's annoying, but that's life. I'd sooner have an airport that pats down disproportionate number of Muslim looking people than an airport that pulls in old grannys for a pat down just to keep the statistics in order.

What's a "Muslim looking" person?

• Advertisement

An A-rab perhaps?

If she simply said, "This place isn't what it used to be", I'd hardly be posting it on here *confused face*. She was complaining about foreign people and specifically foreign people of non European decent. She then proceeded to blurt out stupid, false stereotypes based on their nationality ("The Chinese are smelly, dirty people who beat up their wives", for example). Nothing she was saying was reasonable or justified, it was racist pure and simple.

h.

While I can't say I would associate that stereotype with the Chinese, a great deal of stereotypes are largely true regarding the group at which they are aimed. It would take some level of idiot to deny that, as a group/ culture, the Irish like a drink, for example.

I have no idea as to the activities of the Chinese in Spain so I can't really comment on whether that opinion is true. However, from experience of those in Ireland, I would class the Chinese as moderate to non drinkers but very enthusiastic gamblers, heavy smokers and working a psychologically unhealthy amount of hours.

Now, I'm sure somewhere out there there is a Chinese alcoholic who hasn't worked a day in his life, but the above stereotype would be more accurate I think you would agree.

Houston, we have a smart arse :pac:

I'm not going to insult myself by engaging at this level of trollage.

Being young and arousing suspicion is, simply, an annoying part of being a young man.

I have been pulled over in airports three times for a bag swab and once more for a half hour questioning while my bag was torn apart with no explanation as to how I had aroused this level of suspicion (although the questions were largely drug related). Not to mention how much hassle bouncers give you on Dublin doors until you start to look older than your early 20's.

I know, as a man, I'm far more likely to rape. I just have to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Houston, we have a smart arse :pac:

I'm not going to insult myself by engaging at this level of trollage.

My question was sincere. How can you tell a person is a Muslim just by looking at them?

My question was sincere. How can you tell a person is a Muslim just by looking at them?

You can't for certain. They could be a Saudi agnostic.

It's highly unlikely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

30 odd years ago when i was a nipper went to St Pats matches, one "black" lad used to get some amount of abuse. Being a kid I never really thought much of it but everyone in the ground was hurling abuse at this player. ******, Coon, Monkey everything was hurled at the chap from 4 sides of the ground his fans and other teams fans.

He won player of the year that year and moved to Man United in the summer. Hes now regarded as one of the best players to ever play for Ireland and in his later days playing in Ireland noone racially abused him on the pitch.

Strange how moving to another country made this chap a hero when the abuse he got in ireland was sickening.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    30 odd years ago when i was a nipper went to St Pats matches, one "black" lad used to get some amount of abuse. Being a kid I never really thought much of it but everyone in the ground was hurling abuse at this player. ******, Coon, Monkey everything was hurled at the chap from 4 sides of the ground his fans and other teams fans.

He won player of the year that year and moved to Man United in the summer. Hes now regarded as one of the best players to ever play for Ireland and in his later days playing in Ireland noone racially abused him on the pitch.

Strange how moving to another country made this chap a hero when the abuse he got in ireland was sickening.

Denis Irwin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Oddly, the most racist person that I have met was some random dude who was trying to have sex with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Oddly, the most racist person that I have met was some random dude who was trying to have sex with me.

That wasnt racist, that was rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was called mzungu a lot in Tanzania :P. It means white foreigner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Ron, you never fail to disappoint...
    Wow...there's satire, then there's just desperation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've gotten out of a taxi and not paid before. The dude was making all types of racist comments and when I asked him out right was he a racist he said "Well I guess I am, yeah". I asked him to pull over. Was on Camden St. somewhere. I got out and said I wasn't paying. He got out and tried to argue but I was having none of it and walked off to get another taxi.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Most racist person I ever met was this old lady on the bus years ago. I was on with my friend and we'd been shopping, the bus was getting full so we stood up to let this old dear sit down, so she said thanks and started chatting to us. All seemed normal until a black guy got on the bus and went up the stairs, then it started..... remember this woman from Fr. Ted?

well if you replace the word 'greeks' with the words 'black' and 'n***er' and 'w*g' that was pretty much the gist of it, including the wild gesticulation with shopping bags. To this day I don't know if she was just a bit mental or insanely racist.

Most racist person I'd say on a day to day basis is my sister in law's husband, he can be such a nice guy in a lot of ways but he's incredibly racist, especially when he's talking about any of his co-workers who aren't irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

My partner and I are expecting a baby and already I've heard the words "sure it won't matter that it's dark, we'll love it anyway ".
    I already know the baby will be very loved & cherished like any other grandchild.
    It's just the phrasing of the above made me cringe.
    Can't wait to have my baby :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

......ye wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I was in New Orleans with friends for Spring Break. There was this bar that, oddly, had washer and dryers at the back of the room. I was sitting at the bar while my friends were washing their clothes.

I mean, the setup alone should give an indication of how strange the encounter was.

There was this bar that, oddly, had washer and dryers at the back of the room. I was sitting at the bar while my friends were washing their clothes.

I mean, the setup alone should give an indication of how strange the encounter was.

It is a well known marketing ploy to encourage bewildered customers to drink more Organic Scrumpy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I was called mzungu a lot in Tanzania :P. It means white foreigner.

muzungu is ANY light skinned person - not white foreigner.
    Blacks too can be muzungu. Did you find it racist (being called that)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Italian Americans have many slurs for other races. Mouliyan for African Americans, as well as such charming terms as mooncricket and brillo heads.

They've terms for the Irish also such as white n1gger and spud n1gger. The White Anglo Saxon Protestant's referred to us as Cat-Licks.

The White Anglo Saxon Protestant's referred to us as Cat-Licks.

Given out internationally renowned unwillingness to bother pronouncing our h sounds (resulting in the turty tree and a tird demands) I should think most Irish people call themselves Catlicks!

Do the Italians have a beef with the Irish or not? I remember on The Sopranos (which has been lauded by ex mobsters and those in the know as being very true to life) Chris was dreaming that he went to hell- an Irish bar where it was Paddy's Day every day :pac: (as well as Kent Brockman and his "everyone is Irish, apart from the Italians and the gays" bit.). But then again, both sets were conservatively Catholic, are the main culturally obvious working class white groups in the North East, and the Irish worked/ work closely with the Italians in organised crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

woodoo wrote: »
    This data is for the USA. Look at some of the percentages here. Black people make up 12% of the population in America. Yet account for 50% of arrests for murder/manslaughter and 54% of arrests for robbery. I don't know what the reasons for this are i'll leave others to comment on that. But they are the facts. There is a problem somewhere.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf
    Perhaps different countries / races / cultures have different attitudes to crime / work ethic / drunkenness / drugs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Well, maybe you can say what it is caused by because you keep saying it is to do with poverty and unemployment, and other issues. Can you state what these other issues are because we seem to be going round in circles until you clearly state them.

I am taking this from wiki (where every every good internet expert gets his info :cool: )

But I think the highlighted could be very important
    Studies examining the relationship between percentages of different races in an area and crime rates have generally either found similar relationships as for nationwide crime rates or no significant relationships. Most often studied are correlations between black and Hispanic populations in a given area and crime. Such data may reveal a possible connection, but is functionally inconclusive due to a variety of other correlating factors which overlap with race and ethnicity.[41] While there is a correlation between blacks and Hispanics and crime, the data implies a stronger tie between poverty and crime than crime and any racial group, when gender is taken into consideration.[41] The direct correlation between crime and class, when factoring for race alone, is relatively weak. When gender, and familial history are factored, class correlates more strongly with crime than race or ethnicity.[42][43] Studies indicate that areas with low socioeconomic status may have the greatest correlation of crime with young and adult males, regardless of racial composition, though its effect on females is negligible

If you consider a situation where prison is normalized (focusing on the fact that incarceration happens not why there is incarceration) to an extent in a community or family group as well as the probable negative impact of removal of male role models to me at least it would seem that the penalties for crime could become accepted as part of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

i know a guy that grew up in southern Rhodesia(white landowners) and he was the most racist person I've ever encountered,funny thing was his racism was casual,flippant even.He couldn't get his head round the fact that black and white are equal,and he wasn't shy talking at length about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I got the following from one of our local anti austerity campaigners "what would you expect from a government that has a y*d an' a half baked n****r in it?" And when pulled on it he replied "It's not racist when it's the truth."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I was in New Orleans with friends for Spring Break. There was this bar that, oddly, had washer and dryers at the back of the room. I was sitting at the bar while my friends were washing their clothes.

Any observer of American films and tv could tell you that its on spring break that the bad stuff happens. At least you didn't go to somebodys cabin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I was in New Orleans with friends for Spring Break. There was this bar that, oddly, had washer and dryers at the back of the room.

Igor's on St Charles Avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I don't know what the other causes are. There are theories - but that's all they are. In my opinion though, a soft approach to crime and anarchy is no better than a heavy handed one. Society should expect more from everyone - underdog or not. I appreciate that some people have an affinity with minorities (and black people in particular, maybe) because they feel as though they have experienced discrimination themselves. Some women, for example, might feel that way. Then you have people with ironclad ideologies who wear rose tinted glasses. Is it equality we actually want? Should everybody be expected to at least know right from wrong? I think that should be a minimum requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Given out internationally renowned unwillingness to bother pronouncing our h sounds (resulting in the turty tree and a tird demands) I should think most Irish people call themselves Catlicks!

Do the Italians have a beef with the Irish or not? I remember on The Sopranos (which has been lauded by ex mobsters and those in the know as being very true to life) Chris was dreaming that he went to hell- an Irish bar where it was Paddy's Day every day :pac: (as well as Kent Brockman and his "everyone is Irish, apart from the Italians and the gays" bit.). But then again, both sets were conservatively Catholic, are the main culturally obvious working class white groups in the North East, and the Irish worked/ work closely with the Italians in organised crime.

I've read that Italian and Irish Americans have had beef in the past. Think a lot of it stems from immigrants competing for work/jobs. I also believe this is also the same case with African-Americans too, and why there tends to be racism between them. You could also add to the fact that generally Irish people lived in predominately Irish neighborhoods, Italians in Italian neighborhoods and African-Americans in colored neighborhoods, which to me seems like there was conscious belief to stick to your own in the past, and that added to the rivalries.

That being said of course, times maybe changing. I've also read that South Boston has changed quite a bit demographically. It used to be where the Irish dominated, and was where the Winter Hill Gang were based. While the Italians were in North Boston. But now there are different ethnic groups living in the South, so it's changing. Wonder how the Irish in Boston are feeling about that.

Anyways, since this thread has talked about ethnic slurs, I decided to post this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement