Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording from tv to computer

Options
  • 06-03-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I put this post in here because it's related to torrents. I'm trying to find a way to record from my skybox etc. to computer.

I have a device that converts rga to usb. There are a few problems though. The file sizes are massive & playback is in 4:3 instead of widescreen but the biggest problem is the definition is very poor. When I download torrents, they're really good quality & a relatively small file size. e.g. 250-300mb for a 45-minute video.

Does anyone know how people do this & get such good quality. I'm not trying to put any torrents up, but there's a lot things I want to record off & watch again at a decent quality that won't pack up my hard drive. It can use the rga, scart or hdmi from the box.

Can anyone help???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

The skybox is a proprietary locked down set top box so you cant grab the encrypted recordings off it.

But what many people dont know is you dont have to use a sky box to receive your subscription, you can use your own box along with your card, many of these box's are Linux based so they are basically computers and you can access the stuff on the hard drive.

I have the Vu+ Duo set top box, so if I recorded something and wanted to transfer to pc, I can just simply ftp into the box's hard drive over my network and drag and drop the tv show on to pc

Many many threads in the foreign satellite forum about these types of boxes if your interested.

Cant recommend the vu+ duo enough, so much more capable then the locked down skybox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 verona21

Stuxnet wrote: »
    The skybox is a proprietary locked down set top box so you cant grab the encrypted recordings off it.

But what many people dont know is you dont have to use a sky box to receive your subscription, you can use your own box along with your card, many of these box's are Linux based so they are basically computers and you can access the stuff on the hard drive.

I have the Vu+ Duo set top box, so if I recorded something and wanted to transfer to pc, I can just simply ftp into the box's hard drive over my network and drag and drop the tv show on to pc

Many many threads in the foreign satellite forum about these types of boxes if your interested.

Cant recommend the vu+ duo enough, so much more capable then the locked down skybox.

Thanks a million for that. I'll definitely check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Sorry to hijack.

Is it possible to get recordings of a UPC box? Have some stuff that family have featured in recorded & would love to be able to archive it

Advertisement