Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleepwalking...is this normal?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help and not too sure what to do next.
    My seven year old daughters father passed away in august after being in a motorbike accident.
    Although its been hard for everyone involved, it feels like we've been dealing with itwell. She's been attending the rainbows programme and we talk about her dad all the time.
    My problem is that since the accident she's been sleepwalking. It started off just once every couple of weeks and I could just walk her back to bed bu now its all the time. She's always been crying every time I have found her. Now I'm finding her in different places all over the house and she could be running around and running away from me and everything.
    I'm kind of at my wits end. Im worried about what she could get up to in her sleep, like hurting herself or something. Not only that but she's exhausted all the time now because she is Clearly not getting the proper rest she needs.
    Id love to know if anyone has any advice for me. Like should I bring her to talk to a councillor or would she be too young?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I've no pearls of wisdom but an sorry to head about your daughters dad. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

Have you considered asking her teacher for advice as I'm sure they have come across this issue before?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

OP, my condolences for your loss.

I lost my sister when I was seven years old, and much like yourself, my parents found me sleepwalking all over the house, or I'd wake up in all sorts of strange places as a result. My parents tried everything - leaving lights on, basin of water at the bottom of the stairs to wake me up if I stepped in it, to no avail. But for what it's worth, I never hurt myself - apparently I was able to navigate the house with ease - and other than locking the front and back door at night, my parents stopped worrying about it, and eventually I stopped doing it. Whatever was going on in my head had worked its way out.

If you are already engaged in the rainbows program with your daughter, perhaps you should talk to somebody from there regarding your daughter's sleepwalking, as I'm sure that it's something that they have experienced before, and may have suggestions regarding counselling, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmacash

Thank you! It is somewhat of a relief to hear it has happened to someone else and that you came through it alright. Her rainbows group has finished up but I have the phone number I could try give them a call. Also condolences on the loss of your sister.

Cara may, thank you too. I tried talking to her teacher and although she was sympathetic, she wasn't really sure where to Go from there. Next stop, a call to rainbows and I'll see what they say.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I am sorry for your loss. I can't offer any particular advice about sleep walking, but I suffer from it myself at times. It is a vicious cycle, I get stressed, I don't sleep well, then I will start waking up finding that in my sleep I have turned the lights off, or I am in the wrong bed, I have turned switches off and on, boiled the kettle, etc.

It resolves itself but it has been an issue since I was a child. It only kicks in when I am stressed and normally passes in a week or so.

Your daughter has had a lot of change and upset, so she is bound to be going through a lot. It is a great thing that you are both dealing with it proactively. I can't offer any help, just my sympathy.

Advertisement