Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Windows7 from HDD to 120GB SSD how

• 06-03-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I want to move my OS from 1TB HDD to a new 120GB SSD how do I do it or what program do I need to assist me. Please help:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The easiest way that I can think of...
    1. Use the easy transfer tool to back up your config onto USB or similar [if you want to retain settings, my documents etc]. Or do this manually after step 3.
    2. Put your SSD as primary and HDD as secondary drive
    3. Install Windows on the SSD
    4. Use Easy Transfer to restore settings etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

the vicker wrote: »
    I want to move my OS from 1TB HDD to a new 120GB SSD how do I do it or what program do I need to assist me. Please help:

How much space are you using on the 1TB drive? If your utilisation is less than ~90GB (fudging in ~10% overhead for Windows to function well, and another 10% for SSD performance gives you ~90GB usable on a 120GB SSD that provides 112GB of formatted space), you could clone the disk across directly (eg using something like Acronis True Image).

If your utilisation is above that, you'd have to either spend ages cleaning up the existing install until total usage on the partition is <90GB, or do a clean install + migration like RangeR suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Do a fresh install...what your trying to do would be a nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

As said above do a clean fresh install.

Advertisement