Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar IFSC: Female Sandwich Makers Needed. Sausages need not apply.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't know when the last time I saw a male work at a deli counter was

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

An ad like that is pretty demeaning for both sexes tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

seamus wrote: »
    I wonder with it saying "females only" is the person in charge of hiring not a fluent English speaker?

A fluent English speaker would know that the correct word in this situation is "women", but it would also explain perhaps why the person doesn't understand how big a deal it is to discriminate in this way if they were raised outside of the EU.

I would have said female.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i love how they reduced the font size on the 'female only' bit... it's as if they didn't want to highlight that bit but by making it smaller than the rest, they actually draw more attention to it because it looks like they're trying to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anybody should be perfectly entitled to drop in with their female dog, goat, sheep, rabbit, horse ect, ect and apply for that job.

It said 'Females only' but it never specified a Species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Women make smaller dainty sambo's, use less fillings so more profit for the owner

Men make sambo's to eat, stuffed to the gills with all the good stuff

Makes financial sense really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

There's loads of them locally where I am anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kneemos wrote: »
    I would have said female.

Female could technically mean any age too actually.

Maybe they're looking to hire toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

Big titted woman only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭All Hail President Murphy

I have emailed Spar and the Equality Authoruty.

Doubt anything would be done though.

I can GUARANTEE you that if the sign said Men only, there would be uproar and then they would hire a female just to make themselves look good. Doubt this will be the reverse in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Even if they remove the sign, the attitude is still there. I can guarantee they will only hire a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

phasers wrote: »
    That's illegal isn't it?

You can discriminate all you want in private but don't put it on the feckin sign!

My wife went in with her CV to a well known fast food resturant on O'Connell St. She's originally from outside the EU but had full residency/work rights etc.. Asked for a manager and he took a look at the cv, asked her where she was from originally and then handed her back the CV while telling her that the job was for an Irish person preferably, maybe a European but definetly not a non EU person. All this from an lad of Aisan appearance and accent!

I'm pretty sure his boss said try to get an Irish person if possible but the gobsh!te should never be communicating that to the applicants. You'd wonder how these people make it into management roles.

EyeSight wrote: »
    Even if they remove the sign, the attitude is still there. I can guarantee they will only hire a woman

If the sign said "Men only', they would issue an apology and a woman would be hired a "affirmative action", apology etc. his won't be the reverse case for men.

They'd also be fined for saying this against women, but won't be against men.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I see men serving at delis all the time :confused:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'd say they will take this seriously to be honest. It's clear discrimination.

sopretty wrote: »

Doubt it.

Doubt it.

They'll have to. I see the equality authority doesn't respond to tweets. But someone has emailed them yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I see men serving at delis all the time :confused:

Well it's ages since I last last encountered it, and I do be on the road quite a bit. Obviously I'm not saying it's unheard of, just not common in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

at this stage a sign went up, I imagine people will be informed and the sign will be removed.

They will probably get a telling off by the EA but I doubt anything else can really be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the sign said "Men only', they would issue an apology and a woman would be hired a "affirmative action", apology etc. his won't be the reverse case for men.

They'd also be fined for saying this against women, but won't be against men.

Ah bless! Are you feeling got at then? Of course it is a sexist sign, and there is no reason for it or the sentiment behind it.

Riskymove wrote: »
    at this stage a sign went up, I imagine people will be informed and the sign will be removed.

They will probably get a telling off by the EA but I doubt anything else can really be done.

Well, at the very least, I'd imagine the idiot responsible for the sign should be fired.

Well, at the very least, I'd imagine the idiot responsible for the sign should be fired.

The person behind the sign is probably a woman :rolleyes:

The person behind the sign is probably a woman :rolleyes:

Or a man with an eye for the laydeez... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We had a similar issue in a juice bar I used to work in, but never got advertised. Manager had a habit of throwing male cvs straight into the bin though...

Or a man with an eye for the laydeez... ;)

What I'm trying to say is that a man would be fired for saying men only but a woman would be congratulated for saying women only.

What I'm trying to say is that a man would be fired for saying men only but a woman would be congratulated for saying women only.

I don't think that's the case at all! And I'm a woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Not sure about that either......people make mistakes you know...we are talking about a spar not a multi-national with trained HR and legal people etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think that's the case at all! And I'm a woman!

There's no way you could ever advertise any job as "men only". You'd get complaints piling up almost instantaneously.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    Not sure about that either......people make mistakes you know...we are talking about a spar not a multi-national with trained HR and legal people etc

There's a difference between a mistake and clear, blatant sexism.

Would you be so forgiving if it said men only??????? :mad:

Advertisement