Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar IFSC: Female Sandwich Makers Needed. Sausages need not apply.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

seamus wrote: »
    I wonder with it saying "females only" is the person in charge of hiring not a fluent English speaker?

A fluent English speaker would know that the correct word in this situation is "women", but it would also explain perhaps why the person doesn't understand how big a deal it is to discriminate in this way if they were raised outside of the EU.

That or they're Ferengi?

"QUARK! What do you mean you're hiring feeeemales!?" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

:Well if I was in Spar's head office, I'd be looking for their head on a platter! And it could of course be served to me by either a male or a female. I'm not fussy like that... :P

There's no way you could ever advertise any job as "men only". You'd get complaints piling up almost instantaneously.

Isn't that what is happening now in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

I don't care if there are hardly any men applying for these jobs (for any number of reasons), but there has to be some sort of quota to be filled.

There aren't enough male sambo makers! I'm outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

At least they are honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Men pick their noses as the make sandwiches and spit into them, fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭All Hail President Murphy

So it's OK to impose gender quotas for females ?? So all jobs (esp the good ones) must have at least 30 % females... but no such quotas exist for males. If a job had 100% females and no men at all, then it's not sexist. Have a company with 100% men and no women and it is sexist.

Links234 wrote: »
    That or they're Ferengi?

"QUARK! What do you mean you're hiring feeeemales!?" :pac:

We should make complaints against Quark. Damn sexist bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Seems like the Spar in Leopardstown could be doing the same, if this thread is genuine.

Here's the title.
    Spar retail shop required an experience Deli &till staff -female only

And here's the reply from the OP
    Can you Email to Sparleopardstown@gmail.com with you cv please

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dean0088 wrote: »
    It's grand though, its against men.

Yeah, women really want the ol' sandwich maker only thing to be reinforced

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

sopretty wrote: »
    Isn't that what is happening now in this case?

No. This is people commenting on an online discussion board. Has anyone contacted appropriate officials or contacted Spar?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

No. This is people commenting on an online discussion board. Has anyone contacted appropriate officials or contacted Spar?

The OP contacted Spar. Someone emailed the EA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Now now. Lets not go on some social justice campaign.
    The person who put the sign up probably did it with good or ignorant intentions. I doubt they meant any deliberate harm or sexism.

And there's certainly a lot more women than men out there who make deadly sandwiches. Its a fact.

oak5548 wrote: »
    Now now. Lets not go on some social justice campaign.
    The person who put the sign up probably did it with good or ignorant intentions. I doubt they meant any deliberate harm or sexism.

And there's certainly a lot more women than men out there who make deadly sandwiches. Its a fact.

It's a fact that we make good sandwiches? Are you taking the piss or being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Would you be so forgiving if it said men only??????? :mad:

I'd decide when I got all the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kneemos wrote: »
    I would have said female.
    Maybe it's the first signs of being old-fashioned creeping in :)

I would have always considered "female" (or "male") to be a word of objectification, one which removes humanity from the context and is therefore more offensive a word to use than "woman" and "man" (or "girl" and "boy") because it's intentionally demeaning.

That's a subtlety of language which can easily be lost in translation. I've used it myself in a sarcastic manner, but I'd never use it in this kind of context.

Maybe language has moved on, and left me behind...

Riskymove wrote: »
    I'd decide when I got all the facts

I'll take it that you're a woman and take sexism against men lightly then.

What possible motivation would they have for wanting women only though? Maybe men take up too much space behind the counter or something? :D

The OP contacted Spar. Someone emailed the EA

I did :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

It's a fact that we make good sandwiches? Are you taking the piss or being serious?

Its a fact that there are more stay at home mothers who make their children, husbands, and others sandwiches every day. Therefor more women have good experience at food preparation.

Or am I not allowed to point that out in fear of being labelled sexist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Pints for the lads, fruit based drinks for the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So it's OK to impose gender quotas for females ?? So all jobs (esp the good ones) must have at least 30 % females... but no such quotas exist for males. If a job had 100% females and no men at all, then it's not sexist. Have a company with 100% men and no women and it is sexist.

Well, when the case ever arises where men are chronically under-represented in all aspects of economic and political power as well as being over-represented in low-paid casual work; then you might have a point.

What's sexist about this is the suggestion that a man should be denied the opportunity to work in a sandwich bar but also the suggestion that low-paid food-related work is a job fit only for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I, for one request, nay....demand, my right to wear a hair net and work for minimum wage.

What possible motivation would they have for wanting women only though? Maybe men take up too much space behind the counter or something? :D
    I suspect if you did a survey you'd find that most people are more comfortable with women preparing their fresh food for eating than men, probably because of the impression that women are cleaner than men. If you had the option of having your sandwich done by a little blond Swedish girl or a big bearded Polish man, who would you choose?

Shops know this and tend to prefer women for these positions over men, even if they (usually) don't say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I suspect if you did a survey you'd find that most people are more comfortable with women preparing their fresh food for eating than men, probably because of the impression that women are cleaner than men.

Shops know this and tend to prefer women for these positions over men, even if they (usually) don't say it.

Which is b*llocks considering most chefs in professional kitchens are men and they all have to be trained in concepts of neatness in work and food hygiene.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Which is b*llocks considering most chefs in professional kitchens are men and they all have to be trained in concepts of neatness in work and food hygiene.
    Aha. And most butchers are men, and probably most bakers too.

But when it comes to making something in front of you that's not cooked and is to be eaten immediately, most people for whatever reason subconsciously favour women.

Maybe there's something Freudian in it about how generally mothers are the ones who put the food in front of us on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's ok

The lads can apply to the Subway next door and become a sandwich artist :cool:

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well, when the case ever arises where men are chronically under-represented in all aspects of economic and political power .

Why are there so few male primary teachers and child minders .. because they are not interested in it as much as females.

Same applied for politics.

This means that the very few women who DO apply to politics will be guaranteed a job so as to satisfy the quotas.

subconsciously favour women.

I'm not anyway

• Advertisement

You could train a chimp to make a sandwich.

Actually. Maybe not. I've just remembered a hilarious story of my best friend's first day on the job, working in a deli type place. She had to make up the pre-prepared sandwiches. She worked away industriously and made 200 sandwiches. She was fired though, as she had cut them straight across and not into triangles, to fit into the triangular packages. :D

Advertisement