Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar IFSC: Female Sandwich Makers Needed. Sausages need not apply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it not the case that they weigh the sandwiche when it's finished. So the more in it the higher the charge. The more profit.

Rarely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭newport2

FTA69 wrote: »
    Total ****.

http://www.iua.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IUS-04-2013-Gender-At-A-Glance.pdf

Page 9

Law - 70% Women
    Science - 65% Women
    Business - 59% Women
    Maths - 65% Women

Serious gender education gap has emerged, thanks for highlighting. More must be done to support boys in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Yeah. Women are under-represented in politics and the higher economic positions because they're too busy crocheting or having babies is it? Patronising nonsense. Ironic that women are over-represented in universities but subsequently under-represented in business and the professions.

Given that:
    a) women have the right to vote
    b) women have the right to stand for election

How do you attribute the lack of women in political positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭All Hail President Murphy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Given that:

It's simply beause they are not interested.

Same reason for lack of male child minders

Same reason for lack of female software developers

It's simply beause they are not interested.

Same reason for lack of male child minders

Same reason for lack of female software developers

Oh, I know that, I want to know what nonsense yerman was going to come up with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

wanted: female Latino midget to work as a bouncer.
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

newport2 wrote: »
    Serious gender education gap has emerged, thanks for highlighting. More must be done to support boys in school.

This is a very serious issue in education, which is being lost in the rush to survey on uniforms and other essential things..

On the sandwich issue, I once asked an owner of a city centre place why they didn't have men working there. He told me it was because any men they had had working there were too slow, concentrating on one order at a time instead of having a few on the go. I remember thinking it was an odd thing to say, though personal experience of other shops would lend it some validity.

Nevertheless, highly illegal to advertise as solely open to women - unless there is some toilet limitation in the building, would that be a possible excuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Given that:

There's a few reasons.

1) For centuries we've all been inculcated with the notion that a woman's place is in the home or linked with activities to do with that; this includes women by the way. I work predominantly with Bangladeshi women and many of them don't look beyond homemaking due to the society they were brought up in. When it comes to political office, many people don't think it's the proper place for a woman.

2) Many political parties are old boys clubs that are cold houses for women. Something I've seen first hand as both an activist in a political party as well as working for a trade union.

3) Maternity. I.e the expectation that once a woman has kids she must be the primary care-giver which will distract from her potential career.

There's a few reasons for starters.

Personally I don't think it an ideal situation where women are 51% of the population in Ireland but only 13% odd of women are TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

since i would be outraged if it said men only need apply, so equally i am outraged that i'm seeing this sign with women only. rather unfair to be honest. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm surprised it did not read how it was a job-scambridge internship. Nothing beats 9 months internship learning how to butter bread.

There's a few reasons.

1) For centuries we've all been inculcated with the notion that a woman's place is in the home or linked with activities to do with that; this includes women by the way. I work predominantly with Bangladeshi women and many of them don't look beyond homemaking due to the society they were brought up in. When it comes to political office, many people don't think it's the proper place for a woman.

2) Many political parties are old boys clubs that are cold houses for women. Something I've seen first hand as both an activist in a political party as well as working for a trade union.

3) Maternity. I.e the expectation that once a woman has kids she must be the primary care-giver which will distract from her potential career.

There's a few reasons for starters.

Personally I don't think it an ideal situation where women are 51% of the population in Ireland but only 13% odd of women are TDs.

Of your reasons, only 2 has any credence. Do you think gender quotas are a good solution to the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Of your reasons, only 2 has any credence. Do you think gender quotas are a good solution to the issue?

Would you like to explain how they don't have any credence?

I agree with quotas in some situations yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

sopretty wrote: »
    Yeay! Result.

Now that Spar has fallen, we need to take on the mighty Centra and Londis at something or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't think quotas are a good idea cream inevitably rises to the top higher participation is what is required to do this it needs to be made more attractive to women.

Certainly I don't want a female TD to have an important government minister position because there was a quota I want her to have the job because she is the best for the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

There's a few reasons.

Womens representation in political parties is multiple times that of their representation as independant candidates.
    The "old boys club" excuse doesn't hold any water.

Generalising assumptions about people's beliefs. It's horse****. The reason that not that many women get elected is mostly due to the fact that not that many woman run for office.

Do you agree with quotas for political positions?

Now that Spar has fallen, we need to take on the mighty Centra and Londis at something or other.

Well, I meant that more in response to an earlier post saying that we are just commenting on a discussion forum, which is ineffective....

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

Dean0088 wrote: »
    @SparIreland just tweeted back to me when I sent them the pic. They said they'll get onto the store. So chances are the sign will come down sharpish - but there's very obviously a sexist manager working there so you have to ask whether the hiring process will change behind the scenes.

that's my local shop and the manager is a bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

http://www.thejournal.ie/spar-deli-ad-women-only-1348001-Mar2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

THE OWNER OF a Spar shop has apologised after the store posted up a sign saying only women could apply for a job at a deli counter.
    The sign was put up in the window of a shop on Lower Mayor Street in the IFSC in Dublin city centre. The text of the ad read: “Full time deli staff required. Enquire within with CV. Females only”.
    A photograph of the ad was posted to boards.ie by a user and it was also raised on the Spar Ireland Facebook page.
    Within minutes of a photograph of the ad being placed on the Facebook page, Spar Ireland said it had contacted the owner and the sign had been removed.
    Under equality legislation, employers can not specify that only men or women can apply for a particular job, unless it is a real occupational requirement.
    “As soon as this was brought to SPAR Ireland’s attention we contacted the independent retailer and asked them to take the sign down immediately,” the post from Spar said.
    “The retailer has taken down the sign and has apologised for the error and any offence caused. SPAR Ireland is an equal opportunities employer”.
    The photograph has attracted a lot of attention with several hundred likes, comments, and shares on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

The funny part is they'll probably have to hire a man now to appease the crowd!

Generalising assumptions about people's beliefs

Society is how it is because of certain trends within it. As I said, for years men and women were conditioned into acting certain ways, being given certain roles and steered toward certain jobs. Political office has been male-dominated since time immemorial, if you think that that conditioning has gone away you're codding yourself.
    Do you agree with quotas for political positions?

I think we should have a party list system where a certain percentage of chosen MPs should be women.

h2005 wrote: »

Lol - I can imagine all the regulars curiously keeping an eye out for this new recruit! Which ironically might make it good for business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Well done, now loads of men will apply for a job they cant get.

Society is how it is because of certain trends within it. As I said, for years men and women were conditioned into acting certain ways, being given certain roles and steered toward certain jobs. Political office has been male-dominated since time immemorial, if you think that that conditioning has gone away you're codding yourself.

We've elected a female President, Germany has a female Premier, Australia had one, the US have a female presidential hopeful. My mother has run for local election and campaigned for several other women. Welcome to the 21st century.

I think we should have a party list system where a certain percentage of chosen MPs should be women.

So, hypothetically, if a party has no females that have joined it and wish to run for election, then it has to try to drum up any female that will do so (regardless of suitability) just to meet quotas? Do you think this is how a democracy should work?

I noticed today that the Danish PM is a lady also. It was during interviews with EU leaders as to their opinions on Crimea/Russia. There were quite a few women but can't remember the countries involved - more women than men I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

anncoates wrote: »
    Maybe the position is for a tampon bin emptier.

These guys have plenty of men working for them.

http://www.phswashrooms.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

h2005 wrote: »

going to need one in every shop too

bbc have their token female comedian, spar have their token male deli staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Since you have said MPs, does this mean regardless of how the public vote some women should just be made MPs anyway?

Advertisement