Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar IFSC: Female Sandwich Makers Needed. Sausages need not apply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Well this took off. :eek:

You'd be famous. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

blackwhite wrote: »
    That shop is fairly close to my office, and I head up there for lunch the odd day.

The staff profile is:
    Owner - Irish guy in his 50s/60s.
    Manager - Eastern European guy
    Till staff and deli staff - Chinese girls.

Been working out here for 3 years now, manager hasn't changed but there been a good few staff come and go - always Chinese girls.

Nope and I'm in there most every day. *checks waistline :(*

There are two Irish lads who work the tills. A eastern European girl too while a few Indian/ that general geographic area work the tills and stock the shelves.

All wimmins behind the deli for sure and they are Spanish or Eastern European.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Hiring deli staff should be fairly straight forward, but on this occasion I think the shop manager has made a meal out of it...:D

...meal...

...sandwich maker...

get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

The person behind the sign is probably a woman :rolleyes:
    Dunno. Could easily be a man.
    There's a difference between a mistake and clear, blatant sexism.

Would you be so forgiving if it said men only??????? :mad:
    They weren't forgiving, they just said it's not a sackable offence, which I doubt it is too, including if they had said "Men only". It deserves a bollocking all right, but not the sack.
    So it's OK to impose gender quotas for females ?? So all jobs (esp the good ones) must have at least 30 % females... but no such quotas exist for males. If a job had 100% females and no men at all, then it's not sexist. Have a company with 100% men and no women and it is sexist.
    By the time you had posted that, nobody said it was ok. :confused:
    Has anyone contacted appropriate officials or contacted Spar?
    Did you?
    I'll take it that you're a woman and take sexism against men lightly then.
    Why would they have to be a woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,259 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Lovely bit of sexism from the SPAR branch in the IFSC.

It's grand though, its against men.

I haven't read through the thread so someone may have mentioned this already. The story has been picked up by all the newpapers. Consider yourself a citizen journalist. Probably no point in going looking for any money though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/spar-left-red-faced-over-females-only-job-ad-1.1715136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm not surprised. I briefly worked in a deli and asked if I could be trained up to work on the till and everyone laughed at me.

"the till is only for men, in case someone tries to rob you, you need to fight!"

...my 17 year old self couldn't even fathom a response to that one, took a while to sink in.
    Moron who said that.

To be honest most of the till workers in my local supermarket are women I always figured it was because they come across as more approachable.

Moron who said that.

To be honest most of the till workers in my local supermarket are women I always figured it was because they come across as more approachable.

No, it's probably because the sign advertising the jobs said Females Only. Only it was in very small writing that men couldn't read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm not surprised. I briefly worked in a deli and asked if I could be trained up to work on the till and everyone laughed at me.

"the till is only for men, in case someone tries to rob you, you need to fight!"

...my 17 year old self couldn't even fathom a response to that one, took a while to sink in.

Only a stupid person would fight for an employer. Especially on minimum wage. I understand the shock at 17 though, there's no response to that without feeling like you might be putting yourself out of line.

Also, someone mentioned it was probably a woman who placed the ad. I doubt it, this looks like a guy looking for some 'eye candy' around the store.

I hope they get cleaned out for this, totally unacceptable.

circadian wrote: »
    Only a stupid person would fight for an employer. Especially on minimum wage. I understand the shock at 17 though, there's no response to that without feeling like you might be putting yourself out of line.

Also, someone mentioned it was probably a woman who placed the ad. I doubt it, this looks like a guy looking for some 'eye candy' around the store.

Who would be entitled to sue? Without checking I doubt if any court fine, if they were prosected, would clean them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

circadian wrote: »

All they need is an experienced male candidate who had handed his CV in on spec to sue........ Gob****es...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Bloody Feminists! :mad:

No chance a man could have put a sign up like that. No sir.

Edit: No, the sign is not okay. I don't approve of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It's weird. I didn't notice before but now that I've been in a few countries Ireland seems to be the only one where deli's where you watch your sandwiches being made as you queue are prevalent.

Everywhere else has ready made sandwiches or they make them away from the counter while you sit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's weird. I didn't notice before but now that I've been in a few countries Ireland seems to be the only one where deli's where you watch your sandwiches being made as you queue are prevalent.

Everywhere else has ready made sandwiches or they make them away from the counter while you sit.
    Anglophone thing I think. Certainly it's common in Ireland, Britain and US.

Anglophone thing I think. Certainly it's common in Ireland, Britain and US.

Haven't really seen it in the U.K. , a lot of the corner shops and chains are run by asian brits and they don't want to make sandwiches as you wait. In actual cafe sandwich shops I've observed that they don't seem to have a huge counter with a selection and queues. People sit down to wait or the sandwiches are pre-made unless it's a chipper. Subway is the only shop I can think of. From what I've seen it's more of an Irish phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Haven't really seen it in the U.K. , a lot of the corner shops and chains are run by asian brits and they don't want to make sandwiches as you wait. In actual cafe sandwich shops I've observed that they don't seem to have a huge counter with a selection and queues. People sit down to wait or the sandwiches are pre-made unless it's a chipper. Subway is the only shop I can think of. From what I've seen it's more of an Irish phenomenon.

You're right, I don't remember seeing sandwich delis in the UK like Ireland. Interesting *strokes beard*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Lovely bit of sexism from the SPAR branch in the IFSC.

It's grand though, its against men.

No it is not ok if it is against men.

Lou.m wrote: »
    No it is not ok if it is against men.

I think he's assuming that the manager is a manageress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

He should be allowed to hire whomever he wants... male or female

He can, but you just use your loaf and don't announce to all and sundry that you're a flaming sexist.

If that's the way his bread is buttered, fine, so be it, but you have to be a right fecking tool to put it in print.

Every year I throw on some leather hot pants and apply for a job as a 98FM Jeep driver, but I know well I'll never get it.

They want the young hot skinny blond wimmins to drive them jeeps ya see.

I'll keep tryin mind, I'll keep tryin.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Manager had a habit of throwing male cvs straight into the bin though...

Assistant:" there's a really large pile of cv's to be got through".
    Manager: "no problem, I will soon get through that" and proceeds to through the top half in the bin.
    Shocked Assistant: "whyever did you do that?"
    Manager: "Sure, who wants to work with unlucky people?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭blackwhite

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Nope and I'm in there most every day. *checks waistline :(*

There are two Irish lads who work the tills. A eastern European girl too while a few Indian/ that general geographic area work the tills and stock the shelves.

All wimmins behind the deli for sure and they are Spanish or Eastern European.

That's Spar Central Park you're thinking of, not Spar Leopardstown.

Spar Leopardstown is in the same complex as the Leopardstown Inn pub.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Carmanhall/@53.279237,-6.196285,3a,75y,305.97h,75.13t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfq65508-wjkEhAx-uhWzbg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x486709ac7d548ae3:0x4d2a00a3f3129373

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

i will never step foot in a spar again. hope their business suffers because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Moron who said that.

You don't think a convenience store is different to a supermarket? In a rough area you certainly would need to be wary of attempted robberies.

The thing is no shop should expect it's staff to fight with somebody if they tried to rob the till. A small family shop may however expect it as their insurance may not cover robbery unlike a supermarket. Plus supermarkets normally have security and lots of staff so it unlikely to be robbed in this fashion in any event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

i will never step foot in a spar again. hope their business suffers because of this.

Depends.

How much did you use to spend there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭Wossack

'...and they told me this was an honest mistake & the sign has been taken down.'

Yea, it was meant to just be on the backroom managerial hiring guidelines, not emblazoned on the front of the store.

We know its not a manager from AH anyway, as it would have read- Sandwich Maker required; tits or gtfo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You do realise that Spar shops in Ireland are all independently owned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

kfallon wrote: »
    Looks like my local Spar in IFSC!

You reckon the Spar in a thread marked "Spar IFSC" might be the Spar in IFSC?

That's some fine detective work there, son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I can only assume the people who are surprised are men. I'd say most women have worked in a place like this when they were young.

Male, middle aged, Irish manager - younger male Irish subordinate - all front facing staff who are selling/cooking/cleaning young female and more foreign staff than is statistically likely.

They want that sort of staff because they are more likely to take the crap that comes with the job without storming out, and cost less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

You reckon the Spar in a thread marked "Spar IFSC" might be the Spar in IFSC?

That's some fine detective work there, son.

There's more than one, smartass :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I know it's not popular to say or admit or anything but....

I enjoy women a lot more than men. And it's 100x true if they are attractive. If you look around, you'll notice that a lot of service-based places seem to have higher-than-average looking women working.

Again, it's not popular to say....but the affects of it don't lie. People are more likely to buy stuff from an attractive person than an unattractive person. People will rate a dining experience higher if the waitress is attractive, all other things being equal. Everyone likes attractive people.

Fair? No.
    True? Yes.

Advertisement