Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar IFSC: Female Sandwich Makers Needed. Sausages need not apply.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

UCDVet wrote: »
    I know it's not popular to say or admit or anything but....

I enjoy women a lot more than men. And it's 100x true if they are attractive. If you look around, you'll notice that a lot of service-based places seem to have higher-than-average looking women working.

Again, it's not popular to say....but the affects of it don't lie. People are more likely to buy stuff from an attractive person than an unattractive person. People will rate a dining experience higher if the waitress is attractive, all other things being equal. Everyone likes attractive people.

Fair? No.
    True? Yes.

Spar slipped up then. They should have put 'ONLY ATTRACTIVE FEMALES NEED APPLY'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I enjoy women a lot more than men. And it's 100x true if they are attractive. If you look around, you'll notice that a lot of service-based places seem to have higher-than-average looking women working.

Again, it's not popular to say....but the affects of it don't lie. People are more likely to buy stuff from an attractive person than an unattractive person. People will rate a dining experience higher if the waitress is attractive, all other things being equal. Everyone likes attractive people.

Fair? No.
    True? Yes.
    That is stupid. You must be really hard up for some action if you need to go to spar specifically for a woman.
    If I need a sandwich or a lighter from a shop i'll go to the nearest one or the one with the best value. I couldn't care less who serves me as long as they are competent

I get that with the likes of Hooters people go for the hot women, but to Spar? Besides i hated hooters, the fake flirting and overpriced food was meh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What?

Say what one more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

kneemos wrote: »
    Say what one more time.

What

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Fair? No.
    True? Yes.

Waitress is one thing (I've heard from a couple of male bosses that they've a preference for hiring hot women as bar staff and waitresses) but a deli counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

EyeSight wrote: »
    That is stupid. You must be really hard up for some action if you need to go to spar specifically for a woman.
    If I need a sandwich or a lighter from a shop i'll go to the nearest one or the one with the best value. I couldn't care less who serves me as long as they are competent

I get that with the likes of Hooters people go for the hot women, but to Spar? Besides i hated hooters, the fake flirting and overpriced food was meh

Sure, sure - you can *say* that. But when scientists and researchers who actually sit down and study human behavior - they find that...

1.) People are HORRIBLE at honestly saying what they'll do.
    2.) People are incredibly biased towards attractive people.

So yeah, maybe *you* wouldn't. But the population as a whole? ABSOLUTELY will go out of their way to see attractive people. They might not even know that is why they do it; but they will have a higher opinion of the food and service at a restaurant with attractive staff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness_stereotype

Again, people don't want to admit it - but the science measures it. And it's true.
    Studies show that a better physical appearance contributes to the belief of a person being better, smarter, more successful, more important, and more valuable according these thirteen facts:
    The scores of those physically attractive are higher than less physically attractive people on measures of affect and mood.[15]
    People tend to believe attractive people as smarter, more successful, more sociable, more dominant, sexually warmer, mentally healthier and higher in self-esteem than their physically unattractive people,[16] but studies show that there is no intelligent difference between attractive people and less attractive people.[17]
    Physically attractive people are more sociable and less socially anxious and lonely than less physically attractive people.[17]
    Physically attractive people are more popular than less attractive people and people are more likely to have an interaction with people who are physically attractive.[17]
    Individuals are more likely to give personal information to physically attractive people than less physically attractive people.[18]
    A physically attractive person is more likely to be reinforced than a less attractive person.[16]
    Physically unattractive people are more likely to be identified as psychopaths over physically attractive people.[19]
    Physically unattractive people with psychological disturbance are judged to be more maladjusted and to have a poorer prognosis than physically attractive people with the same psychological disturbance.[20]
    A physically attractive person is more likely to be found less guilty than a less attractive person while they are charged with the same crime.[21]
    Physically unattractive defendants are considered to be more dangerous than better looking offender in sex-related crimes.[22]
    Physically attractive individuals found guilty of a particular crime are more likely to receive more generous sentences than less attractive defendants.[23]
    We pay more attention to physically attractive strangers than to unattractive strangers of either sex. For example, people avoided sitting next to people with physical deformities.[24]
    People with facial disfigurements and other flaws are seen as less desirable. Even babies seem to prefer physically attractive faces to physically unattractive ones.[25]

And this:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/studies-show-the-advantages-of-being-beautiful-2013-6
    #5 Beautiful people are more persuasive
    #6 Companies with good-looking executives have higher sales
    Overall productivity, and resulting sales, were greater in companies with more attractive managers, partly because firms with more attractive workers have the competitive advantage when client interactions are involved

It doesn't matter if they are selling sandwiches or million euro apartment buildings; attractive people sell better and are view more positively. In return, people rate their experience with the company better. They feel they've received better service and they'll rate the quality of what they received as higher. Again *YOU* might not, but studies show that most people will. Hot waitress bring the same crap as the ugly waitress will have happier customers. That's a fact, and lots of studies show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

UCDVet, you'll have the uglies up in arms now!

It is certainly a marketing ploy in advertising etc. But Spar was not seeking attractive people, they were seeking women only. What about the amount of women who work in the IFSC? By your logic, if they hired a token attractive dude, then every woman in the IFSC would be flocking to Spar for their sambos....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

sopretty wrote: »
    if they hired a token attractive dude, then every woman in the IFSC would be flocking to Spar for their sambos....

ah...our favourite bit of auld sexism

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/961385/thumbs/r-DIET-COKE-ADVERT-large570.jpg?6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

sopretty wrote: »
    UCDVet, you'll have the uglies up in arms now!

It is certainly a marketing ploy in advertising etc. But Spar was not seeking attractive people, they were seeking women only. What about the amount of women who work in the IFSC? By your logic, if they hired a token attractive dude, then every woman in the IFSC would be flocking to Spar for their sambos....

As a man, I can safely say I find just about any woman to be more attractive than a man. Beyond that, the majority of workers near the IFSC are male and men generally tend to care more about physical appearance than women.

As a man, I can safely say I find just about any woman to be more attractive than a man. Beyond that, the majority of workers near the IFSC are male and men generally tend to care more about physical appearance than women.

Used to work there meself and never really noticed a disparity between the sexes. Then again, I wasn't actually looking out for it, so maybe there is a higher male element there. Don't they have a uni there now too these days? I was there in the days when the harbourmaster was the only pub in the IFSC lol. God, those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Fair? No.
    True? Yes.
    Don't worry about getting a backlash; only the feminists will get blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Don't worry about getting a backlash; only the feminists will get blamed.
    That's because it's their fault, lets list out a few things we feminists are to blame for.

sexism(It didn't exist until they started complaining about it)
    Rob Schneider(I blame his mother)
    Famine (See women moving away from kitchen duty)
    Hitler

Sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I think it would be an interesting experiment now for a middle aged, white, Irish man to dress up as a chinese woman and go into the shop and apply for the job. The results would be very telling. To fool the shopkeeper the applicant could pull their eyes wide and speak in a high tone, girl voice with east asian rhythm. On getting the job, and while being secretly filmed the applicant could reveal themselves demanding of the shopkeeper if they still had the job. And results on youtube. That'll be the sorting of it.

Sounds like a job for Micheál Martin, he has the accent down pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Ladies, one up....! - an employer wants you... !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

blackwhite wrote: »
    That shop is fairly close to my office, and I head up there for lunch the odd day.

The staff profile is:
    Owner - Irish guy in his 50s/60s.
    Manager - Eastern European guy
    Till staff and deli staff - Chinese girls.

Been working out here for 3 years now, manager hasn't changed but there been a good few staff come and go - always Chinese girls.

Could it be that they're easier to bully? I have a friend, 6ft and built like a brick sh1thouse, who had a supervisor who intimidated all of the female staff but never tried it on with anyone bigger than him. Some people thrive on their perceived power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

kowloon wrote: »
    Could it be that they're easier to bully? I have a friend, 6ft and built like a brick sh1thouse, who had a supervisor who intimidated all of the female staff but never tried it on with anyone bigger than him. Some people thrive on their perceived power.

I severely doubt that, the staff and management have always appeared to get on quite well in the shop. Whilst there's quite a bit of turnover, there's two girls there for the 3 years I've been getting lunch there. Doubt they'd hang around if there was bullying going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You're right, I don't remember seeing sandwich delis in the UK like Ireland. Interesting *strokes beard*
    Don't need them - they have Greggs and other bakery type places. Who wants a sandwich when you can have a pie or a pasty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Don't need them - they have Greggs and other bakery type places. Who wants a sandwich when you can have a pie or a pasty?

Oh thanks a fckin load! I now have a serious yearning for a hot greggs steak and onion pasty right now. But am having pizza for tea. Booooo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You reckon the Spar in a thread marked "Spar IFSC" might be the Spar in IFSC?

That's some fine detective work there, son.

yeah, it wasn't in the original thread title so less of being a smartarse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Nothing to do with Spar but just spotted this ad where another company doesn't seem to have a clue about discrimination legislation. :)

http://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Tech-Tiles-Limited/jobs/Sales-Administration-Trainee-9f44c54c17d14840

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2a9tro9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Nothing to do with Spar but just spotted this ad where another company doesn't seem to have a clue about discrimination legislation. :)

http://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Tech-Tiles-Limited/jobs/Sales-Administration-Trainee-9f44c54c17d14840

18 - 23, eh?

And confident too...

Just how I like them:eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kfallon wrote: »
    Looks like my local Spar in IFSC!
    You reckon the Spar in a thread marked "Spar IFSC" might be the Spar in IFSC?

That's some fine detective work there, son.

This is what GSOC needs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

rockbeast wrote: »
    18 - 23, eh?

And confident too...

Just how I like them:eek:

Lots of jobs specify an age limit.

I think the army has an upper age limit of 24 for instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Army = SALES AND ADMINISTRATION TRAINEE

I see where you're coming from - NOT!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

It's permitted in a limited number of instances, AFAIK. The above wouldn't qualify. Lots of ads might specify but it doesn't mean they are allowed to.

Advertisement