Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on TV Licence

Options
  • 06-03-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello

Not sure what to do about our tv licence situation. Ours expired at the end of october and we didnt renew it as we are moving out of the country. We have someone renting our house since the first of Feb. I know they are liable for the tv licence but we got a reminder yesterday and im wondering should i contact them to tell them we dont live there anymore and are we liable for october to february or will they just start afresh with the new tenants? I would like to pay it if we are before we leave the country

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Who owns the tv?

Actually I just looked at the citizens information website. Who owns the tv isn't relevant... I always thought it was that persons responsibility, but it seems that's wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

just say you had no tv from oct to feb. If there is a tv in the house now, your tenants need to get a tv licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

If the tenant has not held a TV licence in their name at that address, they can just go to the post office and state that they would like a TV license for that residence, inferring that they have only just moved in.

The TV licence would be valid for 12 months from the day they paid for it at the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 barenakedlady

Thanks for the replies, I was going to let the tenants sort out their own tv licence alright, but im wondering if i should contact the tv licence crowd to let them know . What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Dont do it, they might not have a tv.

Let them sort it.

• Advertisement

You can let them know that you are no longer at the address and they will stop sending letters in your name and you will no longer be liable for the licence.

My house mate had the licence in his name, it expired a month or two before he moved out and letters started to arrive looking for him to renew. When he was moving out he contacted them and a few weeks later a letter arrived "to the householder" requesting a tv licence be purchased for the premises.

Advertisement