Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esb after a "hole in meter"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

D3PO wrote: »
    The meter is in the OP's kitchen Its unlikely somebody is tapping into the supply.

True but assuming the meter is spinning even when everything disconnected it certainly warrants further investigation. Maybe there is an electrical fault somewhere which is causing extra electricity to be used.

Op might be no harm to try disconnect and switch offeverything and see is it still going.

I know its off topic but I'd also echo what what said before about landlord abroad, you need to be witholding the tax due on the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

RangeR wrote: »
    Assuming the OP is telling the truth.....

Maybe someone is tapping into your supply? If this can be proved, your bill will probably reduce.

If the op is being truthful about paying €70-€100 a month over the past 2.5 years, then an shortfall of €2700 does sound excessive. €2700 / 30 months = €90. This would suggest a "correct" bi-monthly bill of somewhere in the region of between €320 and €380. That does appear pretty high.

Still, a new meter has been installed so it's going to be virtually impossibe to find out if anything else was causing the high usage. Should have been looked into over 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cruizer101 wrote: »
    True but assuming the meter is spinning even when everything disconnected it certainly warrants further investigation. Maybe there is an electrical fault somewhere which is causing extra electricity to be used.

OP says that a meter reading was submitted every time so no estimated bills and I think the suggestion that a meter fault caused 3 grands of a fault in one billing cycle is a little hard to swallow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Your best thing to do (and I see this sort of thing day in/day out) is to contact your energy provider and work out a payment arrangement. Regardless of the timeframe or amount, or who did what to the meter, you still benefitted.

Either way, id be expecting the majority of the balance to be asked for up front. Meter tampering is about as bad as it gets from their perspective.

Duiske wrote: »
    If the op is being truthful about paying €70-€100 a month over the past 2.5 years, then an shortfall of €2700 does sound excessive. €2700 / 30 months = €90. This would suggest a "correct" bi-monthly bill of somewhere in the region of between €320 and €380. That does appear pretty high.

Still, a new meter has been installed so it's going to be virtually impossibe to find out if anything else was causing the high usage. Should have been looked into over 2 years ago.

That assumed that the op didnt mean 70 - 100 per bill which is bi monthly. Which Id suggest they do mean as it makes no sense for somebody to mentione their monthly cost as opposed to the bill cost which is bi monthly.

In which case if op was paying 70 - 1-- every 2 months for electricity as opposed to 160 - 190 its not that surprising at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

That assumed that the op didnt mean 70 - 100 per bill which is bi monthly. Which Id suggest they do mean as it makes no sense for somebody to mentione their monthly cost as opposed to the bill cost which is bi monthly.

In which case if op was paying 70 - 1-- every 2 months for electricity as opposed to 160 - 190 its not that surprising at all.

You do realise that some suppliers bill monthly ? Which I'd suggest means there's a chance you are wrong.

Actually, if the op is with Electric Ireland then you are probably correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

OP says that a meter reading was submitted every time so no estimated bills and I think the suggestion that a meter fault caused 3 grands of a fault in one billing cycle is a little hard to swallow

Three times in the OP estimated was mentioned.

The amount in here skipping over posts/text just to get their own point across etc. is unreal.

Anyway I'd say we will never know as I doubt the opening poster is going to reply.

Anyway opening poster, get back on to them as this won't go away. As you said paying 70-100 per month should more than adequately cover the bills but as D3P0 said it's more likely this was paid every two months as per the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

OP- you say your Landlord took / has a reading for when you moved in first. Therefore, I am sorry this bill they sent is accurate as it states exactly how many units you have used since then - you yourself can get the figure on the meter now, and calculate the total you have used since you moved in, ESB Will tell you if you do not know yourself how much your bills for this period have been, or how many units, and you can make up the difference yourself... This will tell you if the extra is accurate. Also take a picture of the meter now, (preferable using a digital camera / mobile phone so its not just some number scribbled down on a piece of paper), and try get the reading for when you moved in from ESB / Landlord, and do some calculations.

Try not strsss out over it, it is what it is now, but call ESB, explain the situation, they are human too and I am sure between you and them ye can sort out something.

Just on a seperate issue regarding the meter spinning with every appliance turned off - I experienced this before. Turned out to be a faulty pump in our well. It was old and not running efficiently, the electrician / plumber said straight away when he saw it- our electricity bill must be high, he was right! I am not sure in this case if it applies here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The OP is in a panic because she owes nearly three grand, and is unemployed with two wee ones. Regardless of the wisdom or otherwise of letting things slide when they should be addressed, I think some understanding of the stresses of her situation is in order.

Who knows what was really going on with the old meter, but I can certainly confirm that I have lived in several houses where reading the meter required a tall step-ladder, but you could still see and hear its ominous whirring, as well as properties where turning everything off never seemed to stop its relentless spin: calling her a liar because of that is just daft.

I suspect there was no fault, I suspect the estimated bills were woefully off, which is an easy situation to get into, and the resulting balance is suitably terrifying. There isn't going to be a forensic enquiry into your meter OP, unless the landlord plans on conducting one, and that doesn't seem likely. Don't get angry or stressed about it, just get on to MABS and then follow their advice in coming to an arrangement with the ESB. It won't be pleasant but it'll work out in the end. Keep yourself and the kids warm and well, and concentrate on keeping on top of these things in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The dial is as hard to see as the numbers in my opinion. If you can see the diall moving around you can see the numbers.

besides which with camera phones its easy to zoom in and see a meters numbers.

There is no excuse for not seeing the meter readings.

No its not, there is usually a red mark on one part of the dial that is clearly visible from the floor. I can clearly see dial in my mams house from the floor but I would find it hard to read the numbers on it it and I'm 6"1.

I do think the op is being economical with the facts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 redbedhead

What I've read from the OP is someone letting off steam and relieving a little stress.
    What I've read from the the boardsies is "Liar! Don't come 'round here looking for sympathy."

Might I suggest we lose the accusatory attitude and maybe provide solutions or explanations or nothing at all? It's a not a trial.
    After all, your opinion is just that. If you're an expert, please tell us.

There are many people in the world who don't see every angle immediately and do let things slide.

OP, you probably will need to pay it off, but they will be reasonable about it if you are. When you have time to take it in and adjust, you may see it clearer - It could be 100 things. Maybe those €70-100 bills where too good to be true? Maybe your boiler is faulty? Only you can find out though.

Oh, yeah, my meter guy comes around every other reading date, before 7am, (I get the card on the mat when I get up) so that doesn't even count as an attempt at reading. All mine are phoned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

That post wasn't directly solely at you and subsequently re read the thread and found the second post where they said that the put actual readings in when they didn't call which contradicts the OP.

As said, we will never know the outcome and all this faffing about over whether or not the meter can be read is irrelevant.

The OP is going to have to engage with their supplier to arrange a payment plan. I've had estimates in the past although not as extreme but one was enough to make sure I submitted the readings from then on.

I know if I got a bill like that I'd be wondering wtf is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

kerrellie wrote: »
    House is also heated with solid - back boiler,I never use the immersion,washing machine,Hoover,tv and kettle and small kitchen appliances,small baby equipment not used as not necessary,phone charger,that's about it really

If the electrics were dangerous the ESB would have disconnected you. Is there a possibility that something else is connected to your property that is consuming electricity or have bills normalised since you got a new meter in?

€200 was cheap for a meter. I had to pay €460 for a new meter and relocations. As it happens this meter is installed above head height.

Unfortunately, there is a responsibility for you to check your bills against the meter. You could be over paying or under paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

D3PO Please try to have some decency towards the OP, rather than attacking. The OP is coming across to me as being in an emotional state, so please bear that in mind.

Offer constructive, practical advice rather than attacking.

dudara

will do Dudara. I have told them to contact the providor and setup a payment plan. The issue seems to be the OP refuses to accept they are responsible for this.

We can only help them if they are prepared to be helped i will tone it down though. Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

OP - when was the last time you submitted a reading ?

A lot of people in here are saying you just pay up and the onus is on you to ensure you're paying the correct amount yet they lambaste you when you come in here querying a massive bill ?? I don't get it.

If you submitted a reading recently enough then the bill is wrong and you need to speak to them in a rational and calm way and have them investigate. Maybe they're adding in a punishment fee for tampering with the meter which is also not yours to pay if you didn't do it.

Difficult to know without more detail but I don't think it's cut and dry.

We had a very large bill once. Turned out to be a faulty dimplex heater that was plugged in and using power but not "on".

More investigation needed here anyway.

Swanner wrote: »

We had a very large bill once. Turned out to be a faulty dimplex heater that was plugged in and using power but not "on".

The point is that was still your bill to pay regardless of what the cause was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The point is that was still your bill to pay regardless of what the cause was.

In that case, yes. It was our bill and we paid it. I was just calling it out as it can happen and is worth ruling out.

But if the OP has submitted readings as stated and there have been readings submitted within the last 6 months or so then I would query a 3 grand bill as it seems excessive. Had they been paying estimates for 3 years I could understand how it might happen but that's not what they've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP you dropped the ball here. You know there was a problem and ignored it.

Now let's look at possible resolutions.

1. Contact your landlord and tell them that they have to pay the charge for the meter. Providing you didn't do it, it's there responsibility.

2. If the meter has been read and readings submitted, the ESB may have added some on as they know someone was taking some off.

3. I don't quite understand how the meter was spinning when no load was on. If the hole is to slow it down, why is it running fast? Are you sure there's nothing on? Is there a shed or garage with an appliance in it?

Call the CER www. CER.ie and discuss the situation with them. They'll be able to help you.
    http://www.cer.ie/customer-care/complaints#I-have-a-Complaint---Who-do-I-contact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the only time i hear the meter spinning and going fast is,
    when i have electric kettle on or if someone is in shower where it is an electric shower,
    if you hear the thing whizzing so much, you had better go and check out appliances one by one, and switch all off, go round to all rooms and make sure nothing is plugged in and that includes fridges and freezers, then start plugging in one by one and keeping an eye on which item puts it spinning,
    how old are these kitchen appliances, fridge, freezer,
    is there a garage attached to the hose,
    do you have access to that,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

i had never heard of that,
    people will think of anything
    does that mean that when the needle is in and the wheel is slowed down to a crawl,
    does it show up less units than is normal

so is it reading less units than a person using it is really using when the pin was in,

i think that is an offence to fiddle with the meter,

Advertisement