Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity and gas bills

Options
  • 06-03-2014 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone might give us some kind of ballpark figures for what would be considered reasonable electricity and gas bills for a three-bed house. It is (I guess) around 15-20 years old. I don't know the energy rating. There are three of us living in the house - two adults and a baby - and at the moment I'm on maternity leave, so myself and the baby are home all day and the house needs to be kept relatively warm. I don't use the tumble dryer,and we don't have a dishwasher. We have one electric shower and one normal shower (one of us uses each, would it save a lot if we both used the normal shower?) We are with Electric Ireland for both gas and electricity.

I know it's impossible to give a precise answer, but even a guess at what would be considered normal would be great! Let me know if you want any more info.

Also, in houses where people aren't particularly careful about electricity use (and I know for sure we're not as careful as we should be at the moment!), what tends to be the biggest areas of wastage of electricity, where we might be able to make good savings?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The "average" electricity usage for a 3-bed semi-d is 5300 units per annum.
    Cost per unit can be anywhere from 16c to 19c
    Then there's the standing charge.
    That also varies from supplier to supplier.

For gas, a house that size the average is 13,800kWh (units).
    Gas is about 5c a unit and then there's the standing charge.

This page may help:

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm hoping someone might give us some kind of ballpark figures for what would be considered reasonable electricity and gas bills for a three-bed house. It is (I guess) around 15-20 years old. I don't know the energy rating. There are three of us living in the house - two adults and a baby - and at the moment I'm on maternity leave, so myself and the baby are home all day and the house needs to be kept relatively warm. I don't use the tumble dryer,and we don't have a dishwasher. We have one electric shower and one normal shower (one of us uses each, would it save a lot if we both used the normal shower?) We are with Electric Ireland for both gas and electricity.

I know it's impossible to give a precise answer, but even a guess at what would be considered normal would be great! Let me know if you want any more info.

Also, in houses where people aren't particularly careful about electricity use (and I know for sure we're not as careful as we should be at the moment!), what tends to be the biggest areas of wastage of electricity, where we might be able to make good savings?

Thanks!

I am in a similar situation, the house is 15ish years old 3 bed semi BER c3 2 adults and a baby and on maternity leave but have dishwasher on at least once a day and tumble drier on loads the last bill was for 59 days and cost €147.58 ( we used 673 kW). Baby was here for the full bill! My most recent gas bill was €190 for 63 days. Electricity bill before baby was €130 (565kw and 61 days) and gas bill was €105 (don't know how many days) but I was off work on sick leave at the time and weather was better so used the line a lot more! Do you use your immersion if so turn it off it is a killer on the bill! We use our electric shower only and it is on at least twice a day bust some days it's five times a day! Also I spin my clothes again after cycle is finished so they dry quicker! I am with airtricity for electricity and flogas for gas (they were cheapest for me according to bonkers at the time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

4 -bed det house, 2 adults + 1 child.

2011 data

2500 units used

Cost = 512 euro, under 45 per month.

2014 - I pay 49 pm on BGE level pay, and that's them adding 20% to my estimated usage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Geuze wrote: »
    4 -bed det house, 2 adults + 1 child.

2011 data

2500 units used

Cost = 512 euro, under 45 per month.

2014 - I pay 49 pm on BGE level pay, and that's them adding 20% to my estimated usage

That's not for both utilities, is it!? I'm doing something wrong if so...

Heroditas wrote: »
    The "average" electricity usage for a 3-bed semi-d is 5300 units per annum.

I always knew I'm not average.

2011 = 2495 units

2012 = 2519 units

4-bed det, baby born 2011, dishwasher, tumble-dryer, electric shower.

• Advertisement

passive wrote: »
    That's not for both utilities, is it!? I'm doing something wrong if so...

No, just elec.

I buy 1000 L of kerosene for heating, that does me maybe a year, maybe a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

elec = 2,700 units a year with Bord Gais for a small townhouse (2 adults and 2 young kids). Dishwasher every 5 days or so, prob just above 3 go's of the washing machine every week on avg. Elec shower on the go every day. We do a lot of cooking/baking Friday to Monday.
    I've analysed the usage by making readings a few times a day over several months from time to time and worked my breakdown as follows
    Fridge 30%
    TV 25%
    Shower 23%
    D/wshr 2%
    W/mchn 9%
    Oven 9%
    Lighting 2%
    Very rough and unscientific calcs, but probably a good indicator. Fridge is 11 years old at this stage and is the big problem

Oil for heating about 750 litres per year max

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I do 7 washes a week and baby only small :eek: we used to live in a house with oil and would literally fly through the stuff I would say 200 litres each month in winter and we were freezing and at work during the day you Defo couldn't of had a baby in that house (didn't have a thermometer then but I have never experienced the coldness of last winter!) I am not frugal with the heating and electricity I used whatever I want when I want and I am happy with my bills! I have even been known to have the heating on for the dogs on a cold day if I go out lol :) Like you chattastrope! I have a room thermometer for baby that I bring around with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Skinflint pensioner here. Living within the reduced allowance after a long battle with Electric Ireland over their estimated bills. In the 19 months here I have paid E80 in all ie atop the allowance. And that has stopped now ie the using above the allowance I mean.

Stopped using the immersion; electric shower or wash in a bucket.

Renting 3 bedroom alone. Using the oil in the tank very meagerly. There is a small range in the kitchen so I use fuel there and thankfully and thanks to the gales there is wood and turf to be had.

Kitchen is open plan so the heat rises to my bedroom.

So I heat water on the range. Wash as needed and use the machine only for sheets and towels.

I use bottled gas for cooking as well as the range; would have been great had the range been connected to the water supply but alas no.

Just cannot run up electric bills. Or fill the oil tank.

Advertisement