Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless mouse without taking up a USB port?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I have a Bluetooth 4.0 xps13, very basic question I know, but I''ve never had the need for a wireless mouse before.

Can anyone tell me if there is a wireless mouse capable of connecting to the computer via Bluetooth, without taking up a USB port with a receiver??

If so, can you provide a link/recommend a product.

Thanks for your patience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can't connect anything by wireless without a receiver, however most laptops have in-built Bluetooth receivers I don't know if any PC's have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Heaps of them on www.amazon.co.uk just search for 'Bluetooth mouse'
    FSL wrote: »
    You can't connect anything by wireless without a receiver, however most laptops have in-built Bluetooth receivers I don't know if any PC's have.

A tad confusing perhaps? 'Wireless' means no wires which includes Bluetooth. The OP wants a mouse that doesn't use a USB port so he needs a Bluetooth mouse. If he has a desktop or tower PC he would need a Bluetooth dongle which will use a USB port so a BT mouse is only really a sensible solution for a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

coylemj wrote: »
    Heaps of them on www.amazon.co.uk just search for 'Bluetooth mouse'

A tad confusing perhaps? 'Wireless' means no wires which includes Bluetooth. The OP wants a mouse that doesn't use a USB port so he needs a Bluetooth mouse. If he has a desktop or tower PC he would need a Bluetooth dongle which will use a USB port so a BT mouse is only really a sensible solution for a laptop.

It's a laptop guys. Thanks.

Looking at a Logitech V470

It's a laptop guys. Thanks.

Looking at a Logitech V470

The Bluetooth models seem to be a lot more expensive than the non-BT mice. Are you aware that with a regular wireless mouse the stick (USB receiver) is now a short stubby item which doesn't get in the way like the older ones that looked like memory sticks? The MS wireless mouse is in the shops for about €30. Wouldn't surprise me either if the BT mouse used more juice so the batteries won't last as long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe hes short of USB ports

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe hes short of USB ports

I realise that but the new wireless mouse has such a short USB receiver that the OP may not have noticed them and he may not be aware that they're not the long stick they used to be. It could be that he's concerned about it getting snapped off rather than that he can't afford the port, most laptops these days have three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, get this one http://www.adverts.ie/keyboards-and-mice/mouse-mice-and-more-mice/619668

I have one and it's good - I paid much more for it a while ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Thanks Guys,

Yes I am short of Ports. My Ultrabook only has 2.

Do you have bluetooth. Sometimes you can add the module yourself afterwards.

You could use a hub either.

http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/ST4300MINU3B.main.jpg

coylemj wrote: »
    I realise that but the new wireless mouse has such a short USB receiver that the OP may not have noticed them and he may not be aware that they're not the long stick they used to be. It could be that he's concerned about it getting snapped off rather than that he can't afford the port, most laptops these days have three.

Dunno why they are so stingy with ports. My old laptop has 6. Though the smaller laptop I use in work has only 2.

I notice that some news laptops may have a few USB 2.0 ports, but only one is USB 3. Another PITA is when they put it on the right side at the front. Just where your mouse hand will be. (if you're right handed). Such bad design.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Another PITA is when they put it on the right side at the front. Just where your mouse hand will be. (if you're right handed). Such bad design.

Maybe they put a USB port there so that the USB receiver and your wireless mouse will be close to one another? Just saying.

I'm using an old wireless mouse with a long stick and I use a USB port in that corner so the mouse is only a few cms away from the stick, it doesn't get in the way.

Advertisement