Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried - neighbour renting to homeless

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

doughef wrote: »
    OP..

Your dead right!!

I bet EVERYBODY else posting here would have the same concerns if it happened to them.

I remember years ago a few families from a certain Irish minority were to be housed in an area near where I grew up.
    They had a serious history of anti social /criminal behaviour.

A lot of 'no good do gooders' who lived nowhere near the area were all in favour.
    "people have to be housed"
    "they deserve the same respect as everybody else" etc..

So they moved in...

Houses robbed, property damamged , surrounding area made complete shi*e of...

The same people who had championed them initially were very quiet!!

It's our culture Boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

dees99 wrote: »
    OP there's no way id stand for some family, who had being kicked out of council estates suddenly landing in next door to my house.

Where did the OP state that the "family" had been "kicked out of a council estate"? The OP doesn't know if the house will be used by young mothers, a family made homeless through domestic abuse or a one parent family in need of additional support. The needs of homeless service users are so varied, posts like yours just promote ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

kkelliher wrote: »
    There are no planning issues with renting to a family short or long term and its a bit of a jump to turn a house into a hostel

There are planning issues with short term letting. A series of short lettings constitutes a different use of a property than long term. It is recognised that holiday letting is a different planning use of a property than normal residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are planning issues with short term letting. A series of short lettings constitutes a different use of a property than long term. It is recognised that holiday letting is a different planning use of a property than normal residence.

It is a long term let, though, to the Simon community.

They, like you or I, can have guests staying at their house short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

ElleEm wrote: »
    Where did the OP state that the "family" had been "kicked out of a council estate"? The OP doesn't know if the house will be used by young mothers, a family made homeless through domestic abuse or a one parent family in need of additional support. The needs of homeless service users are so varied, posts like yours just promote ignorance.

Why so you think they are in the hands of a homeless charity and not the department of social welfare? Because the social welfare have washed they're hands of them. That's how bad they must be. Ignorance is convincing yourself otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Why so you think they are in the hands of a homeless charity and not the department of social welfare? Because the social welfare have washed they're hands of them. That's how bad they must be. Ignorance is convincing yourself otherwise!

Do you think every homeless person you see on the street has been evicted from a council house?

sopretty wrote: »
    Do you think every homeless person you see on the street has been evicted from a council house?

No I certainly do not. But I do think they are dysfunctional and have difficulty living life like a normal person or people. Paying off a mortgage on your home and suddenly a load of them arrive in next door for the foreseeable future? No way would I take that!! The neighbour is a pure prik to do it without even asking you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

No I certainly do not. But I do think they are dysfunctional and have difficulty living life like a normal person or people. Paying off a mortgage on your home and suddenly a load of them arrive in next door for the foreseeable future? No way would I take that!! The neighbour is a pure prik to do it without even asking you first.

"Like a normal person"?

And "No way would I take that!!". What exactly would you do?

"Like a normal person"?

And "No way would I take that!!". What exactly would you do?

8 posts up pal!

And yes a normal person, one who would prefer to live in a rented room instead of the street, claim rent allowance, pay the rent like thousands of others. That's why they are in the hands of a homeless charity.

8 posts up pal!

And yes a normal person, one who would prefer to live in a rented room instead of the street, claim rent allowance, pay the rent like thousands of others. That's why they are in the hands of a homeless charity.

Dees - I actually can't believe what you're stating. Anyway, I suspect I'd be talking to a brick wall if I tried to engage with you, so I'll desist!

• Advertisement

Dees - I actually can't believe what you're stating. Anyway, I suspect I'd be talking to a brick wall if I tried to engage with you, so I'll desist!

Sorry but in this instance, yes you would be! ��

Its difficult for me to think that you wouldn't mind, if suddenly you heard that homeless people were going to be housed next door to you.

Sorry but in this instance, yes you would be! ��

Its difficult for me to think that you wouldn't mind, if suddenly you heard that homeless people were going to be housed next door to you.

I've been bordering on homeless meself at times :), so no, it wouldn't bother me. If it was a crowd of rich hooligans, or previously homeless impoverished thugs, then I wouldn't be happy.
    I would not however assume that someone who was once homeless is now guaranteed to engage in anti-social behaviour in their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks, I'd appreciate if the speculation and broad generalisations came to a halt now, if you can't offer constructive advice to the OP and their situation then please don't post at all.

Thanks,

Morri

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Dee's the type of person NONE of us want to live next to. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The people moving in have the right not to be judged until they move it but spare me the sanctimonious hand wringing about a owner merely expressing concern about their possible neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I can't understand how someone would begrudge putting a roof over a person or childs head.
    I think people think 'homeless' and assume its people with drug or other problems. Its a bad recession. There for the grace of God go you or I.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭corner of hells

8 posts up pal!

I work in homeless services myself , a lot of people in the services I've worked in end up homeless for aside variety of reasons not just the stereo typical anti social description many people talk about.Lots of homeless in Irish society today are immigrants from both Eastern Europe and the middle east , others come from children's services ... marriage break ups and Irish returning from abroad also make up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Fact is if a homeless person moves in next door to you then they aren't homeless anymore so problem solved. I can't imagine what your issue could be I am genuinely puzzled??????

Advertisement