Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound system help please

• 06-03-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all

I am hoping you guys can help me please.
    I am looking to setup a sound system for my home cinema setup but am not sure how to go about it or what system to get.
    I want to get one with a sound bar, but the is an issue with inputs..
    My tv had 2 hmdi ports, I have xbox (hmdi out optical out), htpc (hmdi out), blu ray player (hdmi out) and tv box (hmdi out optical out).
    How can i loop all these through a sound system?
    Ii was thinking i could hook 3 hmdi into a sound sytem and have that go into one of the hdmi ports on tv, then put my xbox direct to tv and the optical out to the sound system.
    I really not sure how to do this and I really appreciate your help. If you know a system that can do this it would be great, my budget is €500 or so.

Any recommendations for any particular models?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need an amp with multiple HDMI ports which can handle 5.1 or higher spec sound, they're known as AV Receivers. Basically you connect everything to the AV receiver so it acts as the hub.

I'd consider an Onkyo 626 which at GBP 300 from Richer Sounds would be well within your budget and leave money over for a set of surround speakers instead of simply a soundbar.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr626-92085.html

Talk to the lads over on the Richer Sounds forum, they do discounts for boardsies and will deliver ...

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭melb2ib

Thanks a million coylemj,

Its my gf's place and under the guise of "compromise" I won't be running cables around room or taking over other space than the "tv corner".

I know for full surround sound its better to have multiple speakers but I'll have to go with soundbar on this occasion.

Cheers again for your help, really appreciate it. I will be logging onto that forum now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

There are HDMI and TOSLink switches available (auto and manual). I've never used any but may be a solution for you?

scratch that can only find manual optical switches (e.g. from amazon) but there are planty of automatic HDMI switches out there (synchron.ie?)

Hi unblvlblkult
    thanks for your help. yeah they would work if it was one of the other but it awkward cos i need both

the optical audio switch will only work for xbox and upc box (as they both optical out) but not blu ray or htpc
    and the hdmi switch is perfect for everything (picture and my multiple devices), however it doesnt cover the decent sound output.

I was simply going to get the hdmi switcher in past, but i figure might as well solve the sound issue too.

really appreciate the post man, its a steep learning curve for me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

melb2ib wrote: »
    Hi unblvlblkult
    thanks for your help. yeah they would work if it was one of the other but it awkward cos i need both

the optical audio switch will only work for xbox and upc box (as they both optical out) but not blu ray or htpc
    and the hdmi switch is perfect for everything (picture and my multiple devices), however it doesnt cover the decent sound output.

I was simply going to get the hdmi switcher in past, but i figure might as well solve the sound issue too.

really appreciate the post man, its a steep learning curve for me lol

No probs. Just re-reading your posts. A box like this with any soundbar could be an option. Connects all devices (audio & visual) via HDMI. You could then have one HDMI direct to TV and optical out to soundbar.

I've had my tv and PS3 set-up through my AV AMP and thought "oh yeah optical the way to go for Audio" but to be honest Carrying everything out on HDMI from source was a lot neater and sounded just as impressive to my ears. Just something to consider. It is a learning curve and one thing I found was focusing too much on the ideal solution will blind you to the other good solutions out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I have just noticed your post on Richersound - I have to agree with them that with a proper amp and 2 good quality speakers you would be really pleased with the sound.
    The Surround coming from soundbar is not as good as you may think.
    Also - if you get the receiver and 2 speakers you can expand the system when you have a chance and space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Hi again OP - the Richersound have a sale atm. Nice AV receiver (Pioneer VSX 423 for 99 pounds). This would leave you with a lot of a cash to get speakers, cables and take your girlfriend out;)

They have some soundbars too, if you are not convinced to go the AV/Speakers route.
    Prices are well below ebay/Adverts etc. Worth a shot, I already pulled the trigger:D

Thanks unblvlblkult & wonski

I think im gonna go all out and get the full amp from richersound. My plan was always to have a full surround sound setup. So this way, I can start small and expand...in other words...next time the gf turns her back 2 more speakers will appear lol !

Really appreciate your help lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭greasepalm

make sure amp/receiver can be added to if needed,i was looking for that richer thread and cannot remember where ,nice stuff been sold.

Advertisement