Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering switching to DE shaver...

Options
  • 06-03-2014 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

So after the small row in BA over the DE vs conventional razors, im considering switching to a safety razor. i have a few questions about it i nearly pulled the trigger today but changed my mind. so here are a few questions i have.

1. How long would it take to have a shave as good as a mach3? let me explain, i like the general ease of just shaving one area once like you get with a mach 3 without having to go over for a second or third shave with foam and all. is it possible to just have one shave or i think the term ye use is pass? can i get a shave as good as a mach 3 and as quick with just one pass?

2. Do you have to use the shaving brush and soaps to get a proper shave with the DE razor or can i just use shaving foam from a can, I want to hold off buying a brush and bowl unless im actually really happy with shaving with the DE razor, but im guessing to get the proper shave you need the shaving soap and cream and make a lather and all that.

So really what im asking is can i be as quick with a DE razor as the cartridge base ones and do i need to lather up and brush with the DE razor.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jaysus, that BA thread is a car crash! Awful lot of silliness going on there...

Anywho, just from my own experience:

1. The estimate of 10 minutes, as posted in that thread, is accurate enough. Once you get comfortable with the razor you can prepare your skin and beard, whip up the soap/cream and do 3 passes within that time-frame.

One pass should achieve similar enough effects to a Mach3 if you're shaving every day. A 3 pass shave tends to get me looking like a kid again :pac: It keeps me looking clean for a few days though.

2. The bush and bowl and soaps are the best part. It takes a little bit longer to prepare, but the lather protects your skin a bit more effectively than foam and usually smells much nicer too. Plus it feels great putting on warm lather with the brush. I shave with cold water these days, but the occasional hot towel and warm lather combo is always a nice treat.

Short answer: with a little bit of practice you'd get pretty quick, but probably not as quick as the cartridge. The trade-off is that you'd have a more enjoyable shave, and a closer one too if you figure out how to shave against the grain safely. Brushes/soaps are great, but not essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

An File wrote: »
    Jaysus, that BA thread is a car crash! Awful lot of silliness going on there...

Anywho, just from my own experience:

1. The estimate of 10 minutes, as posted in that thread, is accurate enough. Once you get comfortable with the razor you can prepare your skin and beard, whip up the soap/cream and do 3 passes within that time-frame.

One pass should achieve similar enough effects to a Mach3 if you're shaving every day. A 3 pass shave tends to get me looking like a kid again :pac: It keeps me looking clean for a few days though.

2. The bush and bowl and soaps are the best part. It takes a little bit longer to prepare, but the lather protects your skin a bit more effectively than foam and usually smells much nicer too. Plus it feels great putting on warm lather with the brush. I shave with cold water these days, but the occasional hot towel and warm lather combo is always a nice treat.

Short answer: with a little bit of practice you'd get pretty quick, but probably not as quick as the cartridge. The trade-off is that you'd have a more enjoyable shave, and a closer one too if you figure out how to shave against the grain safely. Brushes/soaps are great, but not essential.

i see, so the cartridge would be quicker, but the DE is more of the deluxe shave option also cheaper. but takes a little longer. so do you have to shave everyday with it or could you let it grow for alike 3-4 days and then shave with no problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You can shave off 3-4 days of stubble with a DE without much hassle and because it's only one blade it's not going to get clogged up with hair like a cartridge would.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭otterj

I Also was reading the thread on BA and Ive decided to buy a DE razor. Any suggestions where I can get myself one (not too expensive) preferably in a shop rather than online.

If you're in Dublin, Knights Barber Shop in St. Stephens Green shopping centre have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I bought my stuff from Shaving.ie last Sunday and got it on the Tuseday. I've done 2 shaves , no blood yet, and am totally sold on DE shaving.
    My face is as smooth as babies bum and no razor burn. I've only one problem though, since Tuesday I've bought more products like soaps and pre shave creams that I think I'm going to end up like this guy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1vICdhigJY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

I find it's the whole routine I love about DE shaving. Also find it very relaxing to have a 3 pass shave at the end of a long day after a shower. If in a hurry I don't touch the DE razor.

im very tempted, i might buy one and keep one cartridge spare in me toilet bag for emergencies hmmm

Go for it, I guarantee you wont regret it...

Soooooo, does anyone know where i could buy a good brush? are badger brushes the way to go or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Soooooo, does anyone know where i could buy a good brush? are badger brushes the way to go or no?

http://www.shaving.ie/shaving-brushes/

I bought the Black 2-Band Special. It seems OK does the job but, I think brushes need breaking in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

I switched to DE about three years ago and love it, although I do still use carts from time to time. I would be far from convinced that the switch to DE will save you money as between, razors, blades, brushes, creams and soaps, you can in fact spend considerably more!

However, for starting, a small enough outlay will get you decent gear - I would suggest any of Edwin Jagger razors (around €20-25), some Astra blades, a tube of Proraso, a stick of Arko and a basic Omega or Semogue boar brush (€15). You can spend a lot of money on brushes in particular, but for me, these boars work best, they can bowl or face lather and are a good start. The main thing for me is to spend a good bit of time on lathering your face - when I started I just applied the lather quickly with bad results; when I spent longer (maybe 90 seconds), the results werely massively improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You can always stick with the canned goo for the time being. It's less overwhelming to make the switch and less of a hit to the wallet.

As mentioned above, using the brush to whip up a nice lather is where the extra time goes. However, a big benefit to the brush is lifting ingrown hairs, exfoliation, and softening the beard. Hence, they tend to go hand in hand. But mastering the perfect lather takes time and each soap is different. So again, this is something you can worry about after you've had a few shaves with your DE razor.

Try to take your time in the beginning until you're comfortable with your new razor. Personally I do 1 pass + touch-ups.

So pull the trigger, it's dead easy as you'll soon see for yourself and there's this forum and a surprisingly active number of big forums on the subject so there's plenty of support. mantic59 videos are also mandatory:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU&list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608

If you want to indulge yourself a bit and go for the brush and soap/cream, I'd suggest getting a well reviewed boar brush. I didn't realize this at first, but brushes are really the big ticket item in this whole thing. But even the best high mountain silvertip owner likes having a scrubby boar lying around. They soften up just fine and are great for hard soaps.

You can also take a look here specifically for brushes: http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.de/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can also get little sticks of Palmolive shaving soap for about 70 cents in most supermarkets, and it's fantastic stuff. Saves spending €6-€10 plus postage on fancier tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭otterj

Which blades are the best? Do certain blades only fit certain razors or are they universal size?

An File wrote: »
    You can also get little sticks of Palmolive shaving soap for about 70 cents in most supermarkets, and it's fantastic stuff. Saves spending €6-€10 plus postage on fancier tubs.

thanks for that info, I brought a razor, a bowl and brush and some soap too I was looking at the price of some of the soaps they can be quite expensive. I presume they last a long time tho, ill be sure to check out the palmolive when I run out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

otterj wrote: »
    Which blades are the best? Do certain blades only fit certain razors or are they universal size?

All DE blades will fit any DE razor

Not all blades are the same and whats good for me may not be good for the next guy,

For example I use Derby blades and have been for the past few years, I've no problem with them. Others prefer to use Feather...which would be sharper.

When starting off its best to get a selection so you can try a few, try this for example - http://www.shaving.ie/products/two-of-a-kind-de-blade-sample-pack.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thanks for that info, I brought a razor, a bowl and brush and some soap too I was looking at the price of some of the soaps they can be quite expensive. I presume they last a long time tho, ill be sure to check out the palmolive when I run out.

For me they do tend to last a good while,
    I use Mitchel wool fat shaving soap, its around 8e a bar but it lasts me months so its good value.

For travel I use this http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-sensitive-shaving-soap.html, I've gotten maybe 150 shaves out of it so far, I'd say it has another 200+ in it before its finished

Any DE blade will fit into all modern safety razors. They will also fit into just about all vintage DE razors, except for a few which use their own blades.

There isn't really a 'best' blade. You will find that I may prefer one make of blaed to one someone else thinks is the best. It's all subjective and the only way to find out which is best for you is to try different makes of blades. Blade sampler kits are excellent for this.

Soaps in general do last for quite a long time. The Palmolive shave stick that costs less than €1 lasted me about 5-6 weeks of shaving daily.

I'm currently using Mitchells Wool Fat (~€9) and have been since the middle of December. I've used it for probably 5 out of every 7 shaves I've had since then and I've hardly put a dent in the soap. I reckon it will last until October-ish before it's completely gone.

Or you know..... what Caball said for both things...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So after the small row in BA over the DE vs conventional razors, im considering switching to a safety razor. i have a few questions about it i nearly pulled the trigger today but changed my mind. so here are a few questions i have.

Whats BA?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Whats BA?

Bargain Alerts

This might be a silly question, but, how would i know that a blade is the right one for me? with the razor i brought, you get 5 derby blades with it. is the correct blade for me decided by not nicking myself with the blade or how?

I started out with Derbys as well mainly because they came with the razor too. I found them a good starting point and tried a few different brands until I felt confident enough to try feathers. Have stayed on feathers ever since.
    Start off nice and steady, try a few different blades and you'll find one that you like is my advice.

This might be a silly question, but, how would i know that a blade is the right one for me?

How? Sampler packs (link1, link2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Get a sample pack and see what you think. Feathers are the sharpest, but they're not for everyone. Your mileage may vary!

I guess trial and error then is the way to go, i might try some astras samplers there are quite a good few recomendations for that blade, of course the feather blade seems to be king, but id say they would be too sharp a blade for a beguinner. cheers for the recomendations might get a sampler pack with the astra in them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

so I too decided to try DE shaving. today I ordered my very basic set, it contains:

Muhle R89 = £25.00
    Personna Blades = £3.50
    Muhle Guard = £3.00

for start I will retain my half used aerosol shaving foam and Gillette post shaving balm, no brush and no other stuff at the moment. I may need a travel type of brush and some good pre shaving stuff.

In few days I should receive my order :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tp25 wrote: »
    I may need a travel type of brush...
    I have one of these, it's ridiculously handy for travelling.

i got me razor delighted with it, but im still waiting on me brush soap and bowl which should be coming tomorrow, im awful tempted to shave wit the remainder of me shaving foam can, but i want to wait for the soap,bowl and brush for the proper DE experience :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Even a cheap Men U brush from Boots and Palmolive shaving soap stick or cream will work better than using canned gel/foam.
    You're more likely when starting out to have small nicks/weepers if you use canned stuff

http://www.boots.ie/en/men-u-Pure-Bristle-Shaving-Brush_13827/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palmolive-Classic-Extract-Shave-Stick/dp/B0012XZAKE

Advertisement