Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering switching to DE shaver...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Make sure you do a WTG pass and an across the grain pass before trying the ATG pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Anyone any advice for shaving against the grain? I usually go with the grain, but today I tried it against with a feather blade ( a few days use already off it). I ended up with blood/cuts all over the place. The shave is the best ever in terms of smoothness but it still stings.

Feather blades can be unforgiving and typically don't last long. They give a good shave but leave my face hot and spicy. I tend not to use them that often.

If you want to shave in all directions, including against the grain, I'd recommend a milder blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Make sure you do a WTG pass and an across the grain pass before trying the ATG pass.

I guess that makes sense. My face is a mess. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

Go slow and don't be afraid to use an extra lather to get that extra smooth finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I guess that makes sense. My face is a mess. Lesson learned.

This is what started me on the right foot with DE shaving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgDE7_2otg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

This is what started me on the right foot with DE shaving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgDE7_2otg

well, I didn't like to watch the pimples on his back, I just enjoyed the comment:

bk21585 days ago

son,... are you really serious? you have to make three passes? my motto is if you do it right the first time, you won't have to do it a second time, let alone a third time. I have been shaving some 55+ years, and I have never been that wasteful with my time or materials and I have always gotten that (smooth baby soft skin) in just one pass. and I have been shaving this way all my life. you are definitely doing something the wrong way. I guess as a amateur you're doing the best you can. I know I sound like i'm being critical but I grew up in a time when being so wasteful and so inept was something you just didn't do, you either do it right the first time or you don't do it at all. young people these days are so wasteful and berlligerent in even the most simple of things. you shave because its a hobby? what is this? men shave because that's what men do, not because it's a hobby. and if you're gonna put yourself on camera so the whole world can see you, at least put on a tee shirt for crying out loud, you got pimples all over your back, they don't nobody want to see all that. I may be just a decrepid old man but I do still believe in doing thing the right way. you should try it some time.

tp25 wrote: »
    well, I didn't like to watch the pimples on his back, I just enjoyed the comment:

bk21585 days ago

son,... are you really serious? you have to make three passes? my motto is if you do it right the first time, you won't have to do it a second time, let alone a third time. I have been shaving some 55+ years, and I have never been that wasteful with my time or materials and I have always gotten that (smooth baby soft skin) in just one pass. and I have been shaving this way all my life. you are definitely doing something the wrong way. I guess as a amateur you're doing the best you can. I know I sound like i'm being critical but I grew up in a time when being so wasteful and so inept was something you just didn't do, you either do it right the first time or you don't do it at all. young people these days are so wasteful and berlligerent in even the most simple of things. you shave because its a hobby? what is this? men shave because that's what men do, not because it's a hobby. and if you're gonna put yourself on camera so the whole world can see you, at least put on a tee shirt for crying out loud, you got pimples all over your back, they don't nobody want to see all that. I may be just a decrepid old man but I do still believe in doing thing the right way. you should try it some time.
    Lol, yeah I read that. I can remember my grandfather shaving with a DE razor when I was young. No preparing the beard at all he basically rubbed a bit of soap on his face and shave away in one pass. He'd come out of the bathroom with bits of toilet tissue covered all over his face. I bet if he was alive today he'd say the guy in the video was full of crap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭otterj

Anyone ever use king of shaves oil ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

otterj wrote: »
    Anyone ever use king of shaves oil ?

Sometimes a pre-shave oil like Village Barber to help prep the skin. Put it on in the shower after you wash your face and leave it to settle in 5 minutes before you lather up.

But not those shaving oils, that you use specifically to shave instead of lather. They just clog up your razor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

It just occurred to me about disposing of the de razor blades, how do you dispose of them properly without causing injury to the binmen, do you put them in a container, wrap them in something and then into the bin? How do you dispose of yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It just occurred to me about disposing of the de razor blades, how do you dispose of them properly without causing injury to the binmen, do you put them in a container, wrap them in something and then into the bin? How do you dispose of yours?

I use a tin can money box similar to http://m.ebay.ie/itm/200839530347?nav=SEARCH

Easily takes years of blades and only way to open is with a tin opener so pretty childproof.

I just wrap them in some tape and toss them in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭otterj

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

otterj wrote: »
    Really?

yes really, i got 5 derby blades with the razor and there is a little slot in the pack for used blades, i have put spent blades in there. but then i brought an assortment of razor blades that came in a plastic reseal pack with blades in paper and was left with the problem of where to put spent blades after use. I thought maybe there was something i could buy to put them on or some other way of disposing of them without causing any harm to the people that handle the rubbish bins. Might have been a stupid question, but i wanted to be sure of how to dispose of them safely without anyone getting injured.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Might have been a stupid question, but i wanted to be sure of how to dispose of them safely without anyone getting injured.

Not a stupid question at all.

One of the best suggestions I've seen is to buy a really cheap tin of soup (Tesco, Aldi, wherever is handy) and to cut a slit in one end with a carpet knife. Let the soup drain out, rinse with hot water, and then you can slip used blades into it and they'll never come out.

You'll need a soup with no lumps, think consumee rather than thick chunky veg. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/54746-How-To-Make-A-Blade-Bank-For-Under-50-Cents%E2%80%A6

I picked up the tin money box in a poundshop place for around a euro, thought the extra cash and larger size was worth avoiding the DIY effort.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I picked up the tin money box in a poundshop place for around a euro, thought the extra cash and larger size was worth avoiding the DIY effort.

Me too. I reckon my current one will literally last me a lifetime.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Me too. I reckon my current one will literally last me a lifetime.

Mine lives in the bathroom behind the pedestal for the hand basin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

****, never thought of that.

I just dump mine into the bin....Then again binmen don't touch refuse sacks anymore, it get's tipped, so I doubt a binman actually handles any of the bags I get rid off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement