Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

figs666 wrote: »
    will he beat cole miller . miller has a height and reach advantage and a better ground game . plus conor is just back from knee surgery .

Very good chance, just looked at Cole Miller's record. He has lost to some bad fighters in the UFC, Matt Wiman was the best fighter he lost to out of an average bunch. His best win was against Ross Pearson.

I fancy Conor more after looking at Miller's record and previous opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

No way Conor gets a title shot if he wins. I'd be willing to put money on it. It just doesn't make sense.

Guida might make a little sense for him next but all depends on what happens in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Its been said multiple times.

3.)Cole Miller
    2.)Top ranked opponent (Dustin AKA Peahead) in around Sept
    1.)Title fight end of year.

No one is saying he deserves a title fight if/when he beats Cole....even Conor is not saying that, where is this coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

unknown13 wrote: »
    Very good chance, just looked at Cole Miller's record. He has lost to some bad fighters in the UFC, Matt Wiman was the best fighter he lost to out of an average bunch. His best win was against Ross Pearson.

I fancy Conor more after looking at Miller's record and previous opponents.

i still think miller is dangerous on the ground .

Its been said multiple times.

3.)Cole Miller
    2.)Top ranked opponent (Dustin AKA Peahead) in around Sept
    1.)Title fight end of year.

No one is saying he deserves a title fight if/when he beats Cole....even Conor is not saying that, where is this coming from?

Mendes is like a midget dwarf bodybuilder .LOL . Love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Korean zombie got a title shot after beating Poirier and most people thought that was a joke, they were proved right as it was a complete one sided mis match. If Conor wants a title fight he can at the very least beat one or two of Mendes, Lentz, Lamas, Swanson or Edgar IMO (I would have stuck Siver in their if he wasn't banned). I don't see Miller beating Conor, he may have a chance of subbing him but it is unlikely i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Korean Zombie was a replacement and he deserved his shot, he had a nice submission win against Garcia, destroyed Mark Hominick and beat Poirer in the fight of the year. People don't seem to realise that replacement fighters in title fights don't necessarily get it on merit, IE Maia when he fought Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Korean Zombie was picked ahead of Lamas as a replacement, he did not deserve his shot at all. Beat Leonard Garcia possibly the worst fighter i have ever seen, beat a now retired Mark Hominick during his 4 fight retirement skid and subbed Poirier. No way in hell that should get you a title shot, as evidenced by his awful showing vs Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

That_Guy wrote: »
    No way Conor gets a title shot if he wins. I'd be willing to put money on it. It just doesn't make sense.

Guida might make a little sense for him next but all depends on what happens in July.

Bad bad option:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

jodaw wrote: »
    Bad bad option:eek:

please elaborate on why you think this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

Digitalism wrote: »

UFC wont match Conor against Clay. It would be an extremely bad match up for him. Clay has cardio to match Conor and would wrestle him to a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Digitalism wrote: »

Seems to be the general consensus on other forums that someone like Guida/Lentz have the answers to Conor's puzzle because they're able to hold their opponents down and smother the fight. Like what happened to Pettis against Guida.

I'm not sure I'd agree with it though, McGregor's footwork looks a bit better than Pettis or Hatsu Hioki. I hope we see the fight and I hope McGregor knocks him out.

Seems to be the general consensus on other forums that someone like Guida/Lentz have the answers to Conor's puzzle because they're able to hold their opponents down and smother the fight. Like what happened to Pettis against Guida.

I'm not sure I'd agree with it though, McGregor's footwork looks a bit better than Pettis or Hatsu Hioki. I hope we see the fight and I hope McGregor knocks him out.

one thing is for sure . its the fight everyone is talking about .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Conor seems to be dismissive of the whole "American wrestler thing" as he puts it. He doesn't feel bothered by it at all but it'll certainly be interesting to see how he deals with someone who tries to wrestle-**** him.

Will he sinply use technical footwork and striking to keep the distance? Is his TDD sufficient if he gets pushed up against the fence? Is his ground game up to par yet? (I hate bringing this up as I'm sure he's a lot more competent than people seem to give him credit for on the ground, his submission losses were a long time ago and early in his career where he concentrated less on ju jitsu).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Yeah i was a bit concerned about this myself,but at the same time i think if you look back when he had his losses it was like 2010ish i think that's 4 years ago,making him 20 or 21 so like he was still a kid at that time ,like now at 25 i think is he going to be a lot stronger now.
    But inevitably unless we are looking at the second coming of bruce lee,he will meet a chad mendes or someone of that ilk who will take him down and pound him out.
    I hope not obviously and will be willing him on until he meets that first defeat in the ufc,but everyone loses at some point anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Surely if Chuck is in town that day he'll be a shoe in for the Fight Club Q&A?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

UFC wont match Conor against Clay. It would be an extremely bad match up for him. Clay has cardio to match Conor and would wrestle him to a decision.

At the end of the day, he needs to fight a high level wrestler to get a shot IMO. UFC wan't title holders who deserve the title and will hold it for some time and Conor needs to prove he is up to task before he gets a title shot. I am sure that Conor is working his game against high level wrestlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Stuxnet wrote: »

I bet chuck won't be showing that six pack in July :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I bet chuck won't be showing that six pack in July

It will be a different type of 6 pack :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I take it City West will be where the weigh ins will take place too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Doubt it I'm guessing the 02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Last time it was in The O2, I'd say they will be there this time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I THINK the Q&A plus Weigh Ins will be on in the O2, I DONT THINK Chuck will be doing the UFC Q&A as he is booked (not by the UFC) for another Q&A the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I THINK the Q&A plus Weigh Ins will be on in the O2, I DONT THINK Chuck will be doing the UFC Q&A as he is booked (not by the UFC) for another Q&A the same day.

The weigh ins WILL be in the O2 and i'm 99% certain chuck will do the FC Q&A, it finishes by 3pm, his event in city west isn't until 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Connolly station

scudzilla wrote: »
    The weigh ins WILL be in the O2 and i'm 99% certain chuck will do the FC Q&A, it finishes by 3pm, his event in city west isn't until 6

whats the story with tickets for the weigh ins and q and a

whats the story with tickets for the weigh ins and q and a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fight club members get early access for the Q&A, think they're allowed a +1, then when Q&A is over the doors open to the public (for free) for the weigh ins

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

The usual set up is fight club members get in 1 hour before gen public.

Q and A is usually great until somebody asks can they have a photo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

and tickets...

Or how they could get a job with the UFC.

Fight club members get early access for the Q&A, think they're allowed a +1,
    Sorry can you clear up this post for me,... can a fight club member bring along a guest, as in my son or something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yes each Fight Club member is allowed to bring one extra person with them. If you have more than one extra you'll often find others who aren't using their +1 who will help out.

I may be at the Q&A and weigh ins by myself, not sure yet.

Nice one, cheers for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I just re-watched UFC 93 for the first time since it aired. I didn't really notice at the time but looking at it now, you can understand why they might have been hesitant to come back to the point/02.

It's really a poor venue for a big MMA show. You can see how the directors were clever about their camera angles, avoiding the really bad shape of the place. Some of the seats are in really awful spots, some people are facing the side of another stand (where the stage usually is). Another thing about it, I know it's not a major gripe, but the walkout area is really poor too. Really short walk and it's all along a wall.

I hate to whinge about it because I'm delighted there's a Dublin show with a few Irish fighters but it really is a shame. Looking at the show they put on in Belfast, The Odyssey is a far more suitable place, it's perfect for it. Maybe we'd be better off inviting the UFC to Belfast for any future Ireland shows because I think they'll always be reluctant to come back when the 02 is the best arena we can offer in this part of the country.

Agreed, I hate to cringe OLE OLE OLEs as well, its embarrassing. Will sound terrible on tv :)
    my 2cent !

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Do you think the noise of the crowd was amplified by being in such a small arena or were the Irish just that bit louder than the typical crowd? At the time Dana was saying that was the best crowd he'd heard.

No doubt Irish fans are loud, and that's great, what kills me is the repetitive OLE OLE OLE's from the tanked up majority. Change the record,...watch the fights :-p
    Pendred has his team doing it for a few weeks on TUF, it was very annoying, was even commented on as so by other fighters, they must of been told stop it as i didn't notice it since in a week or two :-p

Am I being overly sensitive, or anyone else cringe when they here it over and over again, ..all night long !! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ole ole is better than the big whoooos from american audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

adamski8 wrote: »
    That happens in the UK/Europe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

ric-flair-woo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

VIP tickets are now available. For only €1250, €795, €585 you can guarantee your ticket today.
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

VIP tickets are now available. For only €1250, €795, €585 you can guarantee your ticket today.
    Link

I'll take 3 1250 tickets please. I need a free seat at either side to hold my coke and popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'll take 3 1250 tickets please. I need a free seat at either side to hold my coke and popcorn.

For €1250 I want the coke to be free, and to be allowed snort it off one/both of the ring girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Also better than the usa usa chant. That really p*sses me off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I like Olé Olé! I really do.

Obviously not the cringeworthy stuff on TUF which is only just for the sake of it. But I was giving it socks singing Olé Olé and stamping my feet with everyone else at UFC 93 and I was having a great time!

It;s great when there's thousands of people singing it in order to life the spirits of an Irish fighter in the cage. Not when there are 7-8 American lads chanting it at a non-Irish fighter at a private weigh in and not having a clue why they're actually chanting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If ya hate Olé olé olé you should avoid the fight in July because the place is gonna' get ****ing mental when Gunni, Connor and Neil walk out to that cage. Wouldn't be surprised if the Fields of Athenry even made an appearance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I got special promo tickets for this....about 10 rows from front + get to meet all the fighters after the fight too. The ticket also includes a dinner and a meet and greet session with chuck liddell the night before in citywest. A load of us are going conor mcgregor style and suitting and booting it up. Cant fricken wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If ya hate Olé olé olé you should avoid the fight in July because the place is gonna' get ****ing mental when Gunni, Connor and Neil walk out to that cage. Wouldn't be surprised if the Fields of Athenry even made an appearance!
    I'd pay an extra charge not to hear it, I hate that bloody song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I got special promo tickets for this....about 10 rows from front + get to meet all the fighters after the fight too. The ticket also includes a dinner and a meet and greet session with chuck liddell the night before in citywest. A load of us are going conor mcgregor style and suitting and booting it up. Cant fricken wait.

Did you pay for them or get them for free?

• Advertisement
Advertisement