Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did you pay for them or get them for free?

It only cost me €100 each ticket. Tickets are obviously worth a lot more. They're promotional tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

GiftofGab wrote: »
    It only cost me €100 each ticket. Tickets are obviously worth a lot more. They're promotional tickets.

I think we all hate you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

adamski8 wrote: »
    I think we all hate you

I'm actually tempted to perma-ban him.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

ill second that i hate you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Can I have some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

I got special promo tickets for this....about 10 rows from front + get to meet all the fighters after the fight too. The ticket also includes a dinner and a meet and greet session with chuck liddell the night before in citywest. A load of us are going conor mcgregor style and suitting and booting it up. Cant fricken wait.
    but on a serious note man how the hell did u get them man ?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

but on a serious note man how the hell did u get them man ?:(

A friend of mine knows some lad doing that was outsourced to do some of the promotional work for the fight. I won't be getting the actual tickets until June. I paid for them already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

It would be good for spectators at the arena to be able to buy earpieces to ufc broadcast coverage. Like they do with the Rugby & Snooker. Do they ever do this for ufc events?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

califano wrote: »
    It would be good for spectators at the arena to be able to buy earpieces to ufc broadcast coverage. Like they do with the Rugby & Snooker. Do they ever do this for ufc events?.
    Yeah they have done in the past at events I've been at. AFAIK it's a small basic FM receiver so a pocket radio should pick up the sane signal.
    I've no idea if the O2 is kitted out for this, but if it is I think they are likely to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

califano wrote: »

They sold them at UFC 93 €10 a pop, and it was a 1 ear phone piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't think they do them anymore. Haven't had them at the past few events I've been to. Last time I did have one was probably 120 but as far as I remember they didn't work and I got a refund.

I always wondered if corner men could use them to know what instructions the opposition were giving. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I don't think they do them anymore. Haven't had them at the past few events I've been to. Last time I did have one was probably 120 but as far as I remember they didn't work and I got a refund.

I always wondered if corner men could use them to know what instructions the opposition were giving. Lol

Hendricks vs Lawler during 1 break a corner man was whispering into Hendricks ear asking him to explain what was wrong, maybe it was because of that possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

DrPhilG wrote: »

They were available in the event in London a month or 2 ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

you don't need to buy anything extra, just take along your smart phone (if it has an FM radio) and an earpiece then tune in (scan for channels), worked for me at the events i went to

TOR TROENG VS. TREVOR SMITH
    latest fight added to the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

TOR TROENG VS. TREVOR SMITH
    latest fight added to the card

If the tickets were gonna fall short of selling out, this dream match up will certainly have the masses clamoring for tickets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

If the tickets were gonna fall short of selling out, this dram match up will certainly have the masses clamoring for tickets!

Think that means Gunni is going to be bumped from the co-main spot. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It really is a crap card one of the worst ever in my opinion
    Last time the Dublin card had a fantastic line up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

It really is a crap card one of the worst ever in my opinion
    Last time the Dublin card had a fantastic line up

Yeah but in fairness back then it was a numbered event, the saturation of events with fight nights & fox sports cards etc have really brought down the quality of the majority of cards and thats what were seeing here!

Was fairly disappointed in the card myself but il be heading anyway, unfortunately the UFC know the majority of people would do this also.

True Story once i heard Mcgregor v Miller was the main event i knew it would be bad,
    Two fighters not even in the top ten,
    I know some have gone striaght to Main event but has a fighter ever gone from Prelim's to Main event before ?

True Story once i heard Mcgregor v Miller was the main event i knew it would be bad,
    Two fighters not even in the top ten,
    I know some have gone striaght to Main event but has a fighter ever gone from Prelim's to Main event before ?

so you won't be going then? Or will go but spend the next 2 month complaining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Seen this and thought it was amusing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Seen this and thought it was amusing ...

when is ticketmaster selling to the general public ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

figs666 wrote: »
    when is ticketmaster selling to the general public ?

We've been through this!! First Friday in June (6), presales from Wed the 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

The UFC Dublin card is not a bad card...

ciano316 wrote: »

it could be a great night .

im going anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

ciano316 wrote: »

I would pay 50e just to watch Gunni submit some lad in the cage. Chap's a beast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Will be great to see Irish fighters on the card. I don't understand peoples lack of enthusiasm after 5 years.

The UFC doesn't owe us anything, and it doesn't make Business sense to bring over the biggest stars to our time zone and no PPV. They can easily keep them for larger markets or where they can actually maximise Fox ratings or PPV sales.

Gunni and Conor will more than likely be in the title contention mix within a year. Wont it be great to say you had seen them live? Is it not as interesting to see the battles on the lower end? generally these guys have much more to loose. Personally i find it interesting following a fighter from the prelims to the top of the division. Watching them grow and improve each time out.

Will be great to see Irish fighters on the card. I don't understand peoples lack of enthusiasm after 5 years.

The lack of enthusiasm is pretty easy to understand.

It's like Liverpool coming over last week without any of their players. Yeah, loads of people went to see it, but did they really watch Liverpool? Or a load of lads signed to the football club just wearing the jersey?

Would it be nice to watch the game? Sure. Would it be nice to see some Irish lads in the Liverpool jersey? Absolutely.

Is it really Liverpool? No, not really! It's a collection of footballers with the Liverpool brand attached.

Of course UFC aren't going to be flying in Jon Jones to fight in The Point, but it's not as if we're getting much here that we didn't already have on our doorstep for the past 3-4 years.

• Advertisement

Last card i went to was two years ago so that's to long although it was the all heavy weight one in Vegas which was stacked main card had Jds,Mir, Big Country, Struve,Cain ,Big Foot, even the the prelims had Glover, Barboza,Mayhem,Hardy, Brandao

So i guess i was spoiled and now i am just moaning,
    I will be going and hoping for some good fights

Last card i went to was two years ago so that's to long although it was the all heavy weight one in Vegas which was stacked main card had Jds,Mir, Big Country, Struve,Cain ,Big Foot, even the the prelims had Glover, Barboza,Mayhem,Hardy, Brandao

So i guess i was spoiled and now i am just moaning,
    I will be going and hoping for some good fights

You said it yourself, you cannot compare the UFC biggest money spinner Las Vegas to the Point Dublin.

Its like comparing Cirque du Soleil in Vegas to the handful of actors they bring with the travelling shows like what's coming to Dublin. It will certainly be better than anything you see locally but will be a far cry from the main show.

Is it really Liverpool? No, not really! It's a collection of footballers with the Liverpool brand attached

I don't really want to talk about football as I neither like it or know much about it. However Im pretty sure those players would be very insulted if you said the same to them.

So if Liverpool don't play they're starting 11 its not really Liverpool? So if the UFC doesnt bring they're top 5 its not the UFC?

How do you know the next champion will not come from the young players / fighters you will be watching?

but it's not as if we're getting much here that we didn't already have on our doorstep for the past 3-4 years.

As much as I'm a supporter of lical promotions. I doubt any will be able to match the atmosphere and tension for the O2 in July

I don't really want to talk about football as I neither like it or know much about it. However Im pretty sure those players would be very insulted if you said the same to them.

I couldn't give a sh*t to be fair. The players who played against Shamrock Rovers last week were far FAR from the first team.
    So if Liverpool don't play they're starting 11 its not really Liverpool? So if the UFC doesnt bring they're top 5 its not the UFC?

I said neither of these things
    How do you know the next champion will not come from the young players / fighters you will be watching?

I don't. But that's not really the point. They're not stars now.

Mellor wrote: »
    As much as I'm a supporter of lical promotions. I doubt any will be able to match the atmosphere and tension for the O2 in July

But the atmosphere is only a by product. They're not bringing the atmosphere.

Again, look at the Aviva last week. 42,500 people were there. Would that many people watch Rovers? No! Would that many people go watch a Liverpool reserve match v Fulham reserves? No. They went to see "Liverpool" because that's how it was branded. And The O2 will be rocking because it will be filled with a load of lads who want to see UFC. It's the brand. If you had this same card in Dublin but called it "Cage Contender", it wouldn't sell out The O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If you had this same card in Dublin but called it "Cage Contender", it wouldn't sell out The O2.

That pretty much sums it up

And it won't ever change, because these events will sell out in less than a day so why would they bother changing it?

I really think we just need to take it for what it is and enjoy the show.

We are a tiny market in a bad time zone to sell to the UFC biggest customers.

We are getting a fight night show due to Conor's success and popularity. If it wasn't for him the UFC would be putting us off till Patty's day 20.. It will be a great opportunity for Irish fighters to get their foot in the door in the UFC.

5 years ago the UFC was in a very different position, and brought over the big guns to sell to an uncertain market. Right now the sport is bigger than ever here and they will have to do very little in order to sell out the show.

It will be a great night, and an MMA show with the highest level of production we will see in the country.

It seems some would just like a whinge. Conor and Gunni are stars already some people just might know yet.

I agree with the above, I was just saying that I can understand where the lack of enthusiasm is coming from when it comes to real MMA fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's not a top dollar card by any stretch of the imagination but the last couple of 'Fight Night' branded cards have been excellent.

I've never been to an MMA event and this will be my first and I can't wait. I'd consider myself a fight fan and knowledgeable enough when it comes to MMA but I'm optimistic that this will be a great night.

Sure weren't people complaining about a UK card one year with "no big names". Think that card contained Renan Barao and look where he is now.

The UFC is a huge brand and we're paying UFC brand prices for these tickets but who knows where these fighters could end up in a year or two. Nelson, McGregor and Pickett could all have potential to challenge for titles/be champions.

Nobody is forcing people to watch or even buy tickets. Not happy with the level of the card? Don't go. Simple as.

With Cage Warriors coming back to the Helix in August (or other local promotions), this UFC event could get people in there to watch their event and future events if they like what they see in the flesh in July.

I can't wait. My mates who wouldn't really have a clue about MMA are looking forward to it.

It's a saturated card due to the sheer number of cards that are happening this year but on the positive side of things, it could give us a good stepping stone to attract some big name European fighters in the near future if this event is a success.

At the end of the day, we're a small market compared to the UK and the rest of Europe.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nobody is forcing people to watch or even buy tickets. Not happy with the level of the card? Don't go. Simple as.

It's not as simple as this though. If someone is an MMA fan and they've been trying to get the UFC to come back here and put on a big show for 5 years, each year the UFC promising they'll come back, watching Ireland being over-looked in favour of other markets, and then they come back with a weak card.......... it's not as simple as saying "If you don't like it, don't go!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's not as simple as this though. If someone is an MMA fan and they've been trying to get the UFC to come back here and put on a big show for 5 years, each year the UFC promising they'll come back, watching Ireland being over-looked in favour of other markets, and then they come back with a weak card.......... it's not as simple as saying "If you don't like it, don't go!"

Well put it this way, I'm a huge fan of film but I wouldn't pay for a cinema ticket to a film I know I'll have no interest in. I'd rather buy a ticket for something I'll potentially enjoy.

It's not the greatest card in the world but there are other options available with Cage Warriors coming back in August for significantly cheaper rates.

I'm not intentionally trying to start an argument or anything. I'm just saying that I'd rather be sitting beside somebody who is open minded at the event than somebody who pays for a ticket and bitches about how shít the card is.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Well put it this way, I'm a huge fan of film but I wouldn't pay for a cinema ticket to a film I know I'll have no interest in. I'd rather buy a ticket for something I'll potentially enjoy.

It's not the greatest card in the world but there are other options available with Cage Warriors coming back in August for significantly cheaper rates.

I'm not intentionally trying to start an argument or anything. I'm just saying that I'd rather be sitting beside somebody who is open minded at the event than somebody who pays for a ticket and bitches about how shít the card is.

gunner is a quality fighter . i saw him in cage contender in tallaght basketball arena . he has a bit of class about him .

i hope mcgregor gets show some manners . he is leavibg down the irish qith his poor trash talkibg skills . why doesnt the dope go to toastmasters to learn public speaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

figs666 wrote: »
    gunner is a quality fighter . i saw him in cage contender in tallaght basketball arena . he has a bit of class about him .

i hope mcgregor gets show some manners . he is leavibg down the irish qith his poor trash talkibg skills . why doesnt the dope go to toastmasters to learn public speaking

Good God. . . :confused:

But the atmosphere is only a by product. They're not bringing the atmosphere.
    Who brings the atmosphere is irrelevant to my point really.
    Of course UFC aren't going to be flying in Jon Jones to fight in The Point, but it's not as if we're getting much here that we didn't already have on our doorstep for the past 3-4 years.
    ... If you had this same card in Dublin but called it "Cage Contender", it wouldn't sell out The O2.
    Exactly. That's precisely my point.
    So called "real fans" are complaining it's equal to a decent CC event. Prehaps the fights are on that level, or only marginally ahead, but ignoring the atmosphere that will be present is a bit ridiculous.
    Whether or not the UFC brings the atmosphere with them (they don't), whether or not they have given us card that deserves it (they haven't), is irrelevant. The fact is you are paying for a ticket to the event as a whole, not just for a pass to watch the 12 fights.

I don't think the card is great at all. But I wouldn't give a second thought to buying a ticket. Maybe I'm just being a little more objective, as I can't go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I seem to remember at the time the 93 card wasnt looked upon so well on boards. People saying it was full of hasbeens and nobodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Can we not just bitch and moan after the event? For all you know this 'crap card' could turn out to be an absolute slugfest from Prelijms right up to the Main Event.

Typical Irish moaning before it's even begun. Nothing's ever good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dforde

Norman Parke and Naoyuki Kotani added?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I can't wait for this. Was at the last one in Dublin and that was amazing even though the card was considered weak; Shogun, Franklin, Hendo, Lyttle, Belcher, Palhares, Kampmann and Coleman..... history will dictate where they end up.
    The card already looks great imo. McCall, McGregor, Nelson and Lawlor so far.
    Got my fight club pass and i'm getting early seats for this one.

See you all there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

dforde wrote: »
    Norman Parke and Naoyuki Kotani added?

Couple of sites saying it alright but can't be sure until more solid sources come along. I've never seen Kotani fight but his record looks decent. I hope it's true.

Advertisement