Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    If you’re an Irish MMA fan and you genuinely want to see someone other than Conor McGregor headline the UFC Dublin card, there is something wrong with your brain. Please seek the help of a healthcare professional, it may be serious.

Yeah, why wouldn't you want to watch an untested injury prone guy that's never came close to beating a top ten and that has talked more than fought headline an event? Nationalistic pride should always matter more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

gallag wrote: »
    Yeah, why wouldn't you want to watch an untested injury prone guy that's never came close to beating a top ten and that has talked more than fought headline an event? Nationalistic pride should always matter more!

Seriously, a quick scan is all it would take. These things can be tackled if caught early enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm just hoping all those with newsletter and fight club access don't take all the good seats. I have to book through ticketmaster to get a discount and I'll hold grudges if all the good seats are gone earlier than the 6th.

Fightclub members will be booking through Ticketmaster too ya know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

I was originally of the idea that we needed a known name or title eliminator but I've definitely warmed to the idea that the O2 will never be louder than when Conor McGregor lays out the heel in this story that is Cole Miller. That's a headline act in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dave1982 wrote: »
    Problem is there is way more people training MMA so alot more fighters.UFC is catering for rise so more cards are put on.Sadly some are hit and miss.

Me personally I prefer way it was before 8 solid cards a year.I think there was 3 events in 1 week not so long ago.

I remember Dana saying years ago UFC is what it is because every fight could headline the card.(Not anymore Dana):pac:

He was comparing it to Boxing saying they only have 1 good fight on the card rest are fillers.

UFC is very close to that now.

Too much of anything is bad in the long run.

(I'll just go hide before I get called names and I don't know UFC comments :D)

There's a difference now though.

Back when Dana said that, there were few cards. 8-10 a year? All relatively stacked. You'd get 5-6 events that were full of top stars. The rest would be great but not as top heavy as the others.

These days you still get that, but there are a lot more fighters and a lot more fights. How many times have you watched an event that on paper was muck but ended up being awesome!

The solution would be to have two official UFC tiers. Kinda like Pride Bushido (without the need to be a particular weight). That's in effect kind of already with "Fight Night" cards being a lower tier, but it should be made official. Then there'd be no real watering of the brand and people would know what they were getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Anyone know what price ranges the tickets will be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

So you need to be signed up to the ufc newsletter to get a code for presale for this show or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Anyway we could sticky these as a reference to the kind of card we can expect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_on_Fuel_TV:_Mousasi_vs._Latifi (yes Gustaffson was without him it was a woeful main event)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Saffiedine_vs._Lim
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Munoz_vs._Mousasi

And that's excluding any of the UK cards.

Remember, the card is only half filled. Many of those that were announced will likely be prelim fights. You can expect a few more more recognisable names.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

I would love to know what people really expected here, take out a map and look at the size of Ireland and the population here. The UFC, for better or worse, is now a worldwide organisation...gone are the days or 8/9 events per year. More events mean diluted cards, end of story. Why not sit back and enjoy the atmosphere that will be witnessed on this night, it will be insane. Seery will lift the roof off, the adopted Irishman Nelson will do the same and God only knows what it will be like when McGregor walks to the ring. Hopefully Parke can also get on this card and with Pickett already on it, there will be some great match ups. I was at UFC London a month back and the 2 co-main events were the most boring fights, Pickett/Seery was brilliant, as the Nelson fight. Maybe the people complaining shouldn't bother looking for tickets and leave it to the people who will get it tight to get tickets but are looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

twinytwo wrote: »
    Anyone know what price ranges the tickets will be?

32 euro standing up to 145 euro ringside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

figs666 wrote: »

Standing?.. Surely fully seated event

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Standing?.. Surely fully seated event

seated in the stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

urabell wrote: »
    Isn't it on fightpass? I hope BT show it if I don't make it to the show but I don't know how things work with fightpass

BT Sport recently signed a deal to show all events in Europe and the Middle East live.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

if its starting at 50 euro which is on all sites where are you getting these prices from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Have they confirmed when they are going on sale for this event lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya first week in June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

General sale is 6th of June.. 2 presales the 4th and 5th

darced wrote: »

They'll obviously match someone decent up against Gustaffson as he was a Top 5 in his division. Ireland's 'main guy' is McGregor and he's not even Top 10. So his opponent can't be expected to be as good. As it stands, the Irish card could easily be as good as that Swedish one on a whole.

As for the Berlin one. Again, the Dublin card could easily reach that level. People are seriously underestimating the Pickett vs McCall fight. It's incredibly important in that division. Much more important than the Mousasi vs Munoz fight and yet, because of two 'home' guys, it's not main or co-main. By right it should be top of the card, as it stands.

Not aiming this at you, but generally I feel as if people automatically disregard the lighter divisions in favour of any average MW/LHW/HW fight. I've no doubt if something like Mir/Big Nog were on this card in place of Pickett/McCall, it'd be more widely praised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I actually think it's a pretty good card as far as these Europeon cards go. I always enjoy Gunner Nelsons fights and having Conor main event will be great. I can see the flip side too though and understand people being underwhelmed by the card. Conor's only had 2 fights in the UFC and is unproven against anyone decently ranked. It really comes down to if you see Conor's potential or not.

Anyway how quick do these usually sell out? I don't want to miss out.

• Advertisement

I actually think it's a pretty good card as far as these Europeon cards go. I always enjoy Gunner Nelsons fights and having Conor main event will be great. I can see the flip side too though and understand people being underwhelmed by the card. Conor's only had 2 fights in the UFC and is unproven against anyone decently ranked. It really comes down to if you see Conor's potential or not.

Anyway how quick do these usually sell out? I don't want to miss out.

It's difficult to know. The UK ones have varied depending on who's on the card. I reckon you'll need to be on this one straight away, simply because of the hype that's around Conor at the minute. Every man and his dog (doubt the dogs would be allowed) will be wanting tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Any idea what time the tickets will go on sale? 9am?

Any idea what time the tickets will go on sale? 9am?

8am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

where did you guys see the ticket pricing lay out already?

Stick Mir/nog 3 on the main event and people would of course be happier (forgetting that Nog is finished),two legends is a far more exciting main event than two unranked featherweights.

The Pickett fight is decent alright but the lighter weights have not took off yet and the fact that two of the most exciting are not even being given main event status says a lot.

It does say a lot, that the UFC are playing to the masses and most will be there to see Conor. The best fight is not always the main event which is why people need to look beyond it.

If you really would prefer to see Nog vs Mir in July then you have my pity. Neither have anything left to give as fighters. Much rather see up and coming fighters than two guys on their last legs. No matter how great they used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Me personally I prefer way it was before 8 solid cards a year.I think there was 3 events in 1 week not so long ago.

I remember Dana saying years ago UFC is what it is because every fight could headline the card.(Not anymore Dana):pac:

He was comparing it to Boxing saying they only have 1 good fight on the card rest are fillers.

UFC is very close to that now.

Too much of anything is bad in the long run.

They have two cards on the same night in May ffs!

07RRCHS.png

main event is 2 fights conor and failed basketball player miller . FFS

last time it was over the hill coleman and a disgracefully off form Shogun .

shows what dana white thinks of the irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

main event is 2 fights conor and failed basketball player miller . FFS

last time it was over the hill coleman and a disgracefully off form Shogun .

shows what dana white thinks of the irish

I think the last card was stacked compared to this to be fair,but if it wasn't for the wave's conor's been making here and in the states i think we might have got a slightly better card.
    But they figure conor has become a big draw at least for irish people and you know they are gonna milk that starting right now,by putting him top of a terrible card.
    Personally i would have rathered conor co-main event with gunnar main event coz i think that fight has more potential given they are both undefeated,it could go a bit of distance,whereas i'm not sure the miller fight will go far and if it does people won't be happy,so either way with the main event people won't be happy short main event all over fast,not great value for money,long main event bad news for conor crowd not happy either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i think its great some dont like the card. At least that leaves more chance of a ticket for me. I think it already beats the berlin card. Its this level of card or nothing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pauldoo wrote: »
    The 2 fights mentioned above will be great, after that the card is lacking and living off mcgregor's popularity.
    Which two are you talking about? Connor and Gunni?
    You don't rate the Pickett and McCall fight?
    I love watch Pickett, warrior. McCall is a weirdo but entertaining also.
    like the way having a negative opinion on this cards automatically means i dont watch enough fights.
    Where did I say it was directed at you.
    People are entitled to what ever opinion they want.

It's probably fair to say that Connor has brought many new fans to the sport in Ireland. These people will get fully behind the card simply because of Connor without knowing any one else.
    Some people will complain about the card, simply because Irish people love a good moan.
    Most likely, the card's actual worth is somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Here's the Irish UFC card you would have had without Conor McGregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Here's the Irish UFC card you would have had without Conor McGregor

http://www.reallifephilippines.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Implied-Facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Jim Miller vs Donald Cerrone in a fight night on July 16th

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/2/5674108/jim-miller-donald-cerrone-will-tangle-in-atlantic-city-main-event

Would have been great if it was on the Dublin card :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Jim Miller vs Donald Cerrone in a fight night on July 16th

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/2/5674108/jim-miller-donald-cerrone-will-tangle-in-atlantic-city-main-event

Would have been great if it was on the Dublin card :(

Now thats a main event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think a lot of people are kinda missing out on the fact we'd probably not even have gotten an Irish card this year without Conor making the breakthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Now thats a main event

Depends what you mean by Main event.

If I was in Dublin, London, Sydney, that'd be a "Main Event".

If I was in Vegas, I wouldn't be happy turning up to the MGM Grand and seeing a Main Event of Jim Miller & Cowboy Cerrone!

I wouldn't be paying $50 for it on PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

Miller & Cowboy, what a fight.

that aint going the distance
    back to the topic.

i for one think that the Pickett & Mc Call is a serious fight, love watching both fights and these 2 are top tier guys, granted Mc Call has been on a rollercoaster the last few fights but previously considered No 1 Flyweight in the world.

i def think that there will be a few more Irish guys brought into the roster for the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Mellor wrote: »
    Where did I say it was directed at you.
    People are entitled to what ever opinion they want.

Considering i was the only negative comment before you said this, it would seem this was directed at me?

I will still be behind all the fighters hoping the irish win and as many as possible remain signed with the UFC. I will most probably still go as ive watched this sport for years, but my point remains that this is a weak card, lacking top ranked fighters/big names

Last 3 fight night main events;
    Nog V Nelson
    Shogun v Hendo
    Gust v Manawa

Seems to me we are getting a weak british type fight night with no main event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

pauldoo wrote: »
    Considering i was the only negative comment before you said this, it would seem this was directed at me?

I will still be behind all the fighters hoping the irish win and as many as possible remain signed with the UFC. I will most probably still go as ive watched this sport for years, but my point remains that this is a weak card, lacking top ranked fighters/big names

Last 3 fight night main events;
    Nog V Nelson
    Shogun v Hendo
    Gust v Manawa

Seems to me we are getting a weak british type fight night with no main event.

Clearly they think Conor on a main event in Ireland is an equal to them main events,i suppose they look on the the support he got in boston from the irish community and figure well if he is big in america he will be 10 times as big in his home country,so why not milk this,i just hope Conor is getting paid relative to how much we are being milked for this event lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

adamski8 wrote: »
    i think its great some dont like the card. At least that leaves more chance of a ticket for me. I think it already beats the berlin card. Its this level of card or nothing though.

I get the impression that those who are whinging will be first to buy their tickets.

It's so typically Irish.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I get the impression that those who are whinging will be first to buy their tickets.

It's so typically Irish.

too right . lol

too right . lol

and just because the names arent known doesnt mean a night of zero entertainment , on the contrary these nobody's are hungry to provide entertainment and will be there giving it 110% . great fights guaranteed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

and just because the names arent known doesnt mean a night of zero entertainment , on the contrary these nobody's are hungry to provide entertainment and will be there giving it 110% . great fights guaranteed .

Why pay big bucks to see the UFC when you can see that in Cage Warriors for a snip of the price?

• Advertisement

RoboRat wrote: »
    Why pay big bucks to see the UFC when you can see that in Cage Warriors for a snip of the price?

very true ratman

very true ratman[/quote

i saw gunner nelson at a cage contender
    in tallaghfornia basketball arena . there was a lot of tea bags on before him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

i saw gunner nelson at a cage contender
    in tallaghfornia basketball arena . there was a lot of tea bags on before him

I was at that too and it was a good night of fights.

I was at that too and it was a good night of fights.

some dope from a local club got owned that night . yea man . great night

and only 30 euro .

instead of lining dana whites pockets .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

you can do both, which is great as there hasnt been or wont be an ireland ufc in ages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement