Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution for an overloaded Circuit

Options
  • 06-03-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hey folks any help here wold be great,

Over the last couple of months, the circuit breaker for the downstairs sockets trips once in a while. It's never when something is suddenly switched on, it happens out of the blue. I've a feeling that it might be an overloaded circuit. One of the sockets in the living room has loads of stuff plugged into it. While not everything is on at the same time there is still quite a few things plugeed into it. TV, Sky Box, RC charger, router, switcher, wifi printer, media player and phone are all pretty much on/on standby at the same time. Then we can sometimes add BluRay, digital picture frame, lamp, xbox and something else.

Now the standard thing to do would be to just move a lot of the stuff and plug them in somewhere else, but that's not really convenient. I've a nice set up and would like to keep it like that.

Are there any other options open to me?

Cheers
    N2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

My advice would be to get an electrician to check how much current is being used in the circuit in question (he can check with a clamp amp meter at fuseboard) and talk to him about running a new circuit to the living room.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

newbie2 wrote: »
    Over the last couple of months, the circuit breaker for the downstairs sockets trips once in a while.

What size MCB is it? Generally socket circuits in a domestic installation are rated at 20A type B MCBs (they often have "B20 written on them).
    I've a feeling that it might be an overloaded circuit.

I doubt it.

If all of the items that you have listed were switched on at the same time the combined load ont he circuit would be well below the rating of the MCB. I would be suprised if the total load for these items was more than 5 amps.

I agree with maxfresh on this one, get an electrician to have a look at this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

None of the items you've mentioned would be particularly high loading, so unless you've missed something from the list, there's another factor in play here. I'd be surprised if that list you've mentioned is using more than 5 to 8 amps in total

What rating is the circuit breaker, It should be at least 20 A for a socket circuit.

Are there any electric fires, or large (500W ) lights, or any other devices that would be taking a significant load. If not, then you might want to check things like extension leads for loose connections, or for damage to trailing cords, things like that, and try and work out if there is one specific device that's always doing something specific when the breaker trips.

Check each device to see if it's hot, if it is, that would merit further investigation.

You might have to do something to break the devices on to other circuits to get to the bottom of what's happening, or the other option might be to get the breaker checked for correct operation.

If there's a lot of computer type gear on the breaker, it's just possible you might need a different rating breaker, but that would be unusual. Computer power supplies can take a significant surge load on startup, which might be a factor.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The OP says the downstairs sockets trip.

Perhaps all sockets trip, but only notices the downstairs ones gone.

Maybe it is the RCD tripping. More Info needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

One of the sockets in the living room has loads of stuff plugged into it. While not everything is on at the same time there is still quite a few things plugeed into it. TV, Sky Box, RC charger, router, switcher, wifi printer, media player and phone are all pretty much on/on standby at the same time. Then we can sometimes add BluRay, digital picture frame, lamp, xbox and something else.

That is potentially 13 items, you must be using several multi gang extension leads to accommodate all those plugs, the quality dont be great on these items maybe there could be a fault in one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Hi all,

many thanks for your replys.

A little more information:

it seems that it is the RCD tripping. The sockets upstairs and the kitchen sockets go. If I'm reading my board right the downstairs sockets/upstairs sockets/kitchen sockets all have a separate trip switch. But the larger one (RCD) is the one- if i can remember correctly - is the one that goes.

The house was re-wired about 15 years ago and in fairness I rarely if ever have checked or tested anything.

RCD 63 0,03 is what is written on it.

The MCBs that are labelled for sockets are all rated B20

Apologies for my limited knowledge in this area, it's not something I get involved with very often. I will check all cables/extension cordswhen I get an hour or so.

What are the implications of the RCD tripping?

What are the implications of the RCD tripping?

When you said earlier it happens out of the blue can you remember had you any appliances going at them times i.e washing machine, dishwasher, heating, immersion?

No immersion.

As I have 2 messy kids it's possible that the washing machine was running. In fact I am sure it was running. And it's a new machine too. Only about a month old. Is it possible that it's the new washing machine causing it?

Am i jumping to conclusions?

Is it possible that it's the new washing machine causing it?

Am i jumping to conclusions?

Did the random RCD tripping start around a month ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Don't forget the kettle!
    Some leak when overfilled and wet the base.

• Advertisement

WikiHow wrote: »
    Did the random RCD tripping start around a month ago?

it's happened 3 times in the last month. and it never happened before

it's happened 3 times in the last month. and it never happened before

I often see washing machines with bearing failure that leak water out through the shaft at the back of the drum and onto electrics which would trip out RCD but your machine is new.
    When it trips does it reset straight away and stay set?

Hi wiki,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but when the rcd trips, I have to push the switch up (no resistance) and then pull it down (a small 'click' type of resisitance) - everything comes on again and we're off to the races.

everything comes on again and we're off to the races.

I know the type of RCD you are on about and that sounds normal, 3 times in a month and it resetting instantly i would be ruling out the washing machine as you mentioned you use it alot, as previously mentioned you could get your installation checked and tested by an electrician and rule that.

Advertisement