Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Watford, UK

• 06-03-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

So my missus and I are moving to the UK this summer with hopes to finding better life's. We are both 20, nearly 21 and have yet to get a real job even though I am qualified to work in a junior IT / telecoms role and she is qualified in childcare. There is nothing for us here after 2 years of searching.

Reason why we choose Watford is because her uncle owns a pub there and we get the flat upstairs rent free. Anyone on here live or been to Watford? What is it like. I hear is really multicultural (Which I see as a good thing) and to be a lot like the town I am from, Ennis. Is there much work there or would I be better off commuting to London?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sounds like you've got a good set up for the short term at least. I'd suggest your GF look into getting herself legal authorization to work with children assuming she wants to continue childcare.
    I was offered a temp role in Watford once, but I turned it down right away. It wasn't IT. I'd try various job sites if I were you and see what the situation is like. That flat would be an amazing advantage in the short term but I'd suggest at least investigating the job situation before you move. It'd also be a good idea to arrange NI numbers before you go over as well.
    Hope that helps.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Thanks ancapaillodorcha :)

Well I have been looking on uk job websites and there seem to be a particular trend of Junior IT positions in London, even some stating no experience required. So that looks promising. How would my GF go about getting legal authorization to work with children in the UK? In Ireland all you need is a FETAC level 5 and to be guarda vetted.

Yeah it is very handy having a place to stay. Im very grateful for the position we'll be in when we go over. We've already sorted our passports and I already have the forums to sign for the UK jobseekers which also deals with NI numbers. Just need to open a bank account ASAP over there.

We are trying to save what we can and plan to go on the 13th of July as we got plane tickets for 30 euro with 2 bags each booked and its just after her 21st birthday which we want to celebrate here first.

Is there anything else we should arrange before going over?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sounds like you've done a thorough job of preparing for the move.
    Unfortunately, I've no idea how your GF might go about getting police clearance. My brother's a schoolteacher and he did it through an agency. I've no idea on how FETAC is recognised over here. She should probably bring as much documentation about it as possible, ie modules covered, training, etc...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement