Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Competition Rules - Question

Options
  • 06-03-2014 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Has anyone a link to the official Facebook competition rules?

I know you still are not meant to request like & shares but can you request people to 'like your page and like the post' with no sharing involved.

I can't seem to see anything about page likes only post likes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

1. If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a promotion (ex: a contest or sweepstakes), you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including:
    a. The official rules;
    b. Offer terms and eligibility requirements (ex: age and residency restrictions); and
    c. Compliance with applicable rules and regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered (ex: registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals)
    2. Promotions on Facebook must include the following:
    a. A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
    b. Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
    3. Promotions may be administered on Pages or within apps on Facebook. Personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend's Timeline to get additional entries” is not permitted).
    4. We will not assist you in the administration of your promotion, and you agree that if you use our service to administer your promotion, you do so at your own risk.
    So basically post and like comps are fine but share ones aren't. We stick to these rules and it really annoys me when I see pages taking the share approach!

Section E promotions on this link

https://www.facebook.com/page_guidelines.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

jimmii wrote: »
    Here’s the complete list of rules for promotions and contests directly from their Page Guidelines under section E (as of August 28, 2013):

1. If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a promotion (ex: a contest or sweepstakes), you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including:

The official rules;
    Offer terms and eligibility requirements (ex: age and residency restrictions); and
    Compliance with applicable rules and regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered (ex: registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals).
    2. Promotions on Facebook must include the following:

A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
    Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
    3. Promotions may be administered on Pages or within apps on Facebook. Personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend’s Timeline to get additional entries” is not permitted).

4. We will not assist you in the administration of your promotion, and you agree that if you use our service to administer your promotion, you do so at your own risk.

So basically post and like comps are fine but share ones aren't. We stick to these rules and it really annoys me when I see pages taking the share approach!

Section E promotions on this link

https://www.facebook.com/page_guidelines.php

Thanks for that. I don't like the share aspect either but I still don't know if you can ask someone to 'like my page' in order to successfully enter the competition. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks for that. I don't like the share aspect either but I still don't know if you can ask someone to 'like my page' in order to successfully enter the competition. Do you know anything about this?

As long as its not a share to enter its fine. Like my page to enter is probably a little trickier to track or are you just going to enter everyone who likes your page regardless of whether they are liking it for the competition or not? Whenever we do competitions we just get people to answer a question in the comments that seems to get a much better reach than simply like X to enter comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andre.cork

I am new to boards and would also love some advice on this topic

From what I can gather its ok to ask for a like to enter a competition but my question is what about the competitions that say "Put your name below and whoever gets the most likes on their name wins" your not asking for a share but technically you are as your asking them to get their friends to like,

Anyone have any experience with this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I would have thought that falls under the point made in number 3 above and is not allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 andre.cork

Axwell wrote: »
    I would have thought that falls under the point made in number 3 above and is not allowed

Thats what I'm thinking too Axwell but technically its not a share so im torn as to whether or not it would fall under this,

I have seen so so many companies doing this, some companies which are huge and very well known....

I'm still afraid to take the risk though

andre.cork wrote: »
    Thats what I'm thinking too Axwell but technically its not a share so im torn as to whether or not it would fall under this,

I have seen so so many companies doing this, some companies which are huge and very well known....

I'm still afraid to take the risk though

Its only using shares as an example. What they are trying to discourage is people having to post a link to the competition as a status update as a form of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

sorry for dragging up an old thread, however does anyone know if you're allowed suggest a post be shared?

Something along the lines of 'remember folks, sharing is caring' or words to that effect.

Can't find anything online!! :mad:

blue-army wrote: »
    sorry for dragging up an old thread, however does anyone know if you're allowed suggest a post be shared?

Something along the lines of 'remember folks, sharing is caring' or words to that effect.

Can't find anything online!! :mad:

Nothing wrong with asking people to share as long as there is incentive to share other than to be nice!

Advertisement