Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Cam for live streaming

Options
  • 06-03-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi
    Just trying to find some information on setting up a web cam for live streaming on the internet. The purpose of the live stream would be to show the inside of a busy Irish pub throughout a day via the internet. What kind of camera would I need to purchase? What internet speed would I need? Would there be a way of using the already existing security cameras as a live stream? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The purpose of the live stream would be to show the inside of a busy Irish pub throughout a day via the internet.

Picking the webcam is the least of your issues.

1. Data protection act - you may run into issues recording people and publicly broadcasting it

2. A lot of pub customers would not want to be filmed all day for many reasons, so you would need clear warning signs on the door that this is not just security cameras, but they are being filmed and broadcast. Eg. jealous partners, people not wanting to show their behaviour to their employers, dubious meetings between people, the invasion of privacy etc.

Only a few weeks ago some female journalist was confronted/attacked for wearing Google glass in a restaurant or pub I believe.
    ( They call Google glass wearers "glassholes" )

So, you can abandon this idea pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

That attack was in a bar in US, really nothing to do with having a live feed from a pub.
    But as you say, data protection/privacy laws may prohibit this. You can film outside but inside, not sure.

OP you can ask in Legal Discussion forum and see about legislation.
    The camera and server to stream out is easy to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dannyman2010

Fully aware of the legal implications regarding this, not what I asked. I was looking for information with regards to setting up the stream ie what equipment/broadband to use. Any info greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

mate you can pick up any of the ones in argos as they are basic enough and cant go wrong for quality/price ive been streaming live online for 7 years now on cam4.com and smotri.com pm me if you need any tips as im always happy to help fellow cam enthusiasts regards brian

Advertisement