Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ballincollig

Options
  • 06-03-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

We are hoping to move to ballincollig and have seen a few houses but we are clueless about where to avoid or which are the estates with the rough reputation.

Can anyone help/advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Personally I would avoid Innishmore and Castlepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Thanks reic, I was looking at a house in carrigdene have you heard of it? Location is great

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Classes Lake is a very good area if you own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

aknitter wrote: »
    Thanks reic, I was looking at a house in carrigdene have you heard of it? Location is great

Don't think I would recommend Carrigdene it's too close to Castlepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Don't think I would recommend Carrigdene it's too close to Castlepark.

It's right at the entrance to CP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I've only ever walked past the entrance to Carrigdene. It always looks like a quiet, peaceful, small estate of bungalows. I know it's just before CP but I've never heard anything bad about it. Probably some "traffic" at night passing by. It's really central. I don't know if you have children but primary and a large 2ndary school are within 5 mins walk, as is the center of Ballincollig (1 min walk). 4 star pizza is around the corner, and a subway, and cinema, and funeral home! Looks like a nice place to me.

Jeez, think I'll move there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ballwebhost

I wouldn't avoid Carrigdene, its actually quite a nice little estate.

I don't get the posts advising to avoid Castlepark, maybe 10 - 15 years ago I would have agreed but not now. I grew up in Castlepark, and lived there all my life until I was 19 (we moved for other reasons back in 2009 to Carrigaline) and think that most of the trouble that associated the bad name to the estate has now moved on. I'm now living in Grange Manor in Ovens, but if I had the chance of moving back to my family home, I would - in a heartbeat.

People have a perception of Castlepark which stems from around 15 years ago, the whole "CPG" or "Castlepark Gangsters" but these were non other than teenagers at the time, and most now have moved on, got families or left the country. I hate when I see negative comments about the estate, because in recent times it has come on leaps and bounds.

I can remember a time where walking through the estate coming from the village, there would be rubbish all over the place, the grass was never cut, and it was pretty bad. In the past 4 years, the estate has been a credit to Ballincollig and the Tidy Towns and is always now clean, grass is cut regularly and visiting quite often (family still in the estate) I rarely see trouble.

Castlepark residents are sort of cliquey and do look after each other, but thats due to the history in the estate with many of the familys being there since it was built but always welcome new residents.

Don't let opinions of some, especially people who don't know personally the estate, the people or the history put you off. If you find a suitable house in Castlepark, within your budget - go for it!

Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Thanks patrick, I'll keep a look out, but I need at least 4 bedrooms or a second living room or room to add on, not sure Castlepark might have that.

I loled at the CPG, amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 13 missmoon99

Hi all

I am hoping to move to Ballincollig next month but there seems to be a serious shortage of properties 3bed+!

Does anyone know what the story is? I have been looking on daft and willing to pay upto 1200 but theres so little around. The houses that are up are kips!! Or else apartments. And i have enough of apartments by now.

Is there anywhere else to look?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Does it have to be ballincollig? There are lots of small villages nearby.
    Killumney, aherla, cloughduv, crossbarry, farran, fernanes, crookstown? All them are within 15mins drive of ballincollig and have schools, pubs and shops nearby. Theres one very nice detatched house in farran on daft within your price range.
    Model farm road and bishopstown are also very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 missmoon99

Hey
    thanks for the info. We have also looked in those areas but would prefer to stay in ballincollig.we dont have kids etc. And are lookng at staying in the inniscarra area long term so would like to live in ballincollig to get to know people locally. Also theres more about the village than in farran etc. Wouldnt mind ovens but nothung there either!! :(

Bishopstown has a few houses but not sure we would get to know anyone really as there doesnt seem to be many local pubs etc whereas ballincollig has a younger crowd.

would douglas be the next best option? Jst for social life wise and tryig to meet people. We are moving from dublin.

Advertisement