Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey report

Options
  • 06-03-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm in the process of buying my first home. I had a structural survey done. The report stated that there was damage from a leak in the bathroom to the ceiling downstairs.

The damage has cause a large black mark on the ceiling which the surveyor said would need immediate attention. He mentioned that the leak appeared to be there for a while

There are a few other issues with planning permission that have yet to be resolved as well as legal issues on the vendors side which are delaying things.

I'm having doubts as to weather to proceed with the sale as I'm worried that the damage could be extensive and I don't have money to repair this.

Should I walk away from the sale if the vendors refuse to repair the ceiling. They didn't seem bothered when the engineer discussed the leak. I'm a ftb so would appreciate any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

I'd be more worried about the planning permission issues for a start. No one can really answer your query without seeing the report or the leak and the extent of the damage. Was it something you noticed when viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shoe_gal30

GavMan wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the planning permission issues for a start. No one can really answer your query without seeing the report or the leak and the extent of the damage. Was it something you noticed when viewing?

I am worried about planning permission. My solicitor is waiting on confirmation from the vendors solicitor as to whether there is permission in place.

To be honest I didn't notice the damage. It was an open viewing with a lot of people so I clearly missed it. I'm waiting on photos from the surveyor.

I just have a bad feeling about this but I could be just over reacting too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

shoe_gal30 wrote: »
    I am worried about planning permission. My solicitor is waiting on confirmation from the vendors solicitor as to whether there is permission in place.

To be honest I didn't notice the damage. It was an open viewing with a lot of people so I clearly missed it. I'm waiting on photos from the surveyor.

I just have a bad feeling about this but I could be just over reacting too

I think OP you may be over reacting. Usually this is a minor problem due to sealant not applied to area around bath or shower which then causes a damp patch on ceiling below. Regarding planning permission this also may be a minor matter as it might be in place or retention may have to be applied for. I would request that the vendor attend to these matters before signing contract.

Advertisement