Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet leaking water on bathroom floor

Options
  • 06-03-2014 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Needs some input on this issue; toilet in my bathroom started leaking this afternoon(small leak but the idea of toilet waste leaking on the floor is disgusting) and I can't reach my landlord. Is it within my right to call a plumber and get the issue sorted? Or should I wait on the landlord to respond( and what time frame should I give him)

I was thinking if he doesn't reply by tomorrow morning i arrange a plumber myself and reduce this form next month rent. Would this be within my rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

joostl wrote: »
    Needs some input on this issue; toilet in my bathroom started leaking this afternoon(small leak but the idea of toilet waste leaking on the floor is disgusting) and I can't reach my landlord. Is it within my right to call a plumber and get the issue sorted? Or should I wait on the landlord to respond( and what time frame should I give him)

I was thinking if he doesn't reply by tomorrow morning i arrange a plumber myself and reduce this form next month rent. Would this be within my rights?

the timeline is very short.

under no circumstances can you reduce rent.

once you flush your toilet the water coming from it isn't to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In fairness any leak like that take about 10 minutes to fix depending on how it is connected. If you look you might find it is actually coming from the cistern as this is much more common. It is often people think the water is coming from the exit pipe but it is actually dripping from the cistern down this pipe.

Modern plumbing tends to use a collar so just pushing that around will probably fix the problem if it is the exit pipe.

I'd certainly put something under the leak if you haven't already

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maria01

that happened in my house - i think it ended up being a loose connection - it was easily fixed - hope he gets you sorted soon

Advertisement