Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Paint the 3 bedrooms of a 3 bed Semi D

Options
  • 06-03-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking for a guestimate on getting the 3 bedrooms of a 3 bed Semi D house. There is a Box room and two double room. When hire a painter to do this do they supply the paint too?

The wall are already a dark enough colour so would need a white coat 1st and then the colour I would like, I would say, but then I am not a painter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking for a guestimate on getting the 3 bedrooms of a 3 bed Semi D house. There is a Box room and two double room. When hire a painter to do this do they supply the paint too?

The wall are already a dark enough colour so would need a white coat 1st and then the colour I would like, I would say, but then I am not a painter

You'd need two coats of white first and then your colour.
    The painter can supply the paint if you wish.
    The price would depend on whether you want the painter to supply the paint or not.
    Let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Expect to be quoted anything between €400 and €2,200. And I say that from experience! Then in the end, buy the paint and do it yourself!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note - Price/Costs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

About 400. Labour only

About 400. Labour only

And the rest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

fussyonion wrote: »
    And the rest!

+1

Is 400 a joke

Carpenter wrote: »
    +1

Is 400 a joke

If it takes a painter longer than two days to do this job, he's in the wrong trade!

I am afraid I cannot agree if a painter can prep all walls and paint them in 2 days he must be on kryptonite IMO
    Or maybe I am to picky when it comes to finishing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

We cleared 2 rooms and a 2 storey hall, removed skirting and door frames. Painted walls and ceiling (and some of the floor too haha, easy enough to remove off tiles) 2 people, 3 days, 2 coats. Zero labour cost. Its not plastering, you can do it if you invest a few quid in a couple of brushes and 2 rollers. If your weekend is worth more than 500 euro than pay somebody else to do it.

Where abouts are you based Delboy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

Carpenter wrote: »
    I am afraid I cannot agree if a painter can prep all walls and paint them in 2 days he must be on kryptonite IMO
    Or maybe I am to picky when it comes to finishing .

I'm on kryptonite so! If you hire a professional painter he/she should get it finished in 2 days. The only things that could really hold up the job is slow paint drying times due to cold walls or high humidity and having to move around a lot of furniture. If theres a lot of prep to be done then this could slow the job down a bit too.
    If the rooms are clear or everything has been moved to the middle of the room so all the painter needs to do is prep and paint and the heating is on then they should get it done in 2 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

The price would depend on whether you want the painter to supply the paint or not.
    Let me know.

Hi

Thanks for the replay, I would like the painter to supply the paint

househero wrote: »
    We cleared 2 rooms and a 2 storey hall, removed skirting and door frames. Painted walls and ceiling (and some of the floor too haha, easy enough to remove off tiles) 2 people, 3 days, 2 coats. Zero labour cost. Its not plastering, you can do it if you invest a few quid in a couple of brushes and 2 rollers. If your weekend is worth more than 500 euro than pay somebody else to do it.

Where abouts are you based Delboy?

I am in Castelknock, dublin, yea i was thinking of doing it myslef, €500 is mad money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

I am in Castelknock, dublin, yea i was thinking of doing it myslef, €500 is mad money

€500 is mad money? To pay a professional painter to paint 3 rooms to a high standard in a couple of days for €500 including materials versus doing it yourself? I know a mid level banker that took a week off work to paint his house instead of paying a professional and at the end of it the house wasn't finished, looked like it had been painted by a novice and he'd used up a weeks holidays. Thats madness to me.
    By all means do it yourself over a couple of weekends if things are tight and/or you are confident you can do a good job or a job that you will be happy with but please consider the reason you would use the services of a professional painter is for the best finish in the shortest time frame leaving you to get on with other things.

€500 is mad money? To pay a professional painter to paint 3 rooms to a high standard in a couple of days for €500 including materials versus doing it yourself? I know a mid level banker that took a week off work to paint his house instead of paying a professional and at the end of it the house wasn't finished, looked like it had been painted by a novice and he'd used up a weeks holidays. Thats madness to me.
    By all means do it yourself over a couple of weekends if things are tight and/or you are confident you can do a good job or a job that you will be happy with but please consider the reason you would use the services of a professional painter is for the best finish in the shortest time frame leaving you to get on with other things.

+++1
    It always amazes me when people think painters are expensive ""for a few days work"".

Have you actually seen the amount of work that goes into painting a room?
    It's not just walls; it's prep-sanding down, prepping skirting boards, smoothing out, giving everything a coat (skirting board, walls, window ledges, ceiling), then letting that dry..doing doors (most people get doors done at the same time), then going over the whole thing, not to mention filling in and other bits of prep.

It's not just a matter of opening a tin and sticking a paintbrush in.
    €500 is not madness.

I would rather a professional painter did the work because I know it'll last and it's done properly.
    But if you want to go ahead and do it yourself, OP, nothing stopping you.

Hi

Sorry i think i have made people mad, i dont think they got that i was trying to be funny saying that €500 is mad money.

I would not try and paint myslef as i know my wife would never be happy with the way it looks.

So were do i find this painter that will do it for €500 as that is a good price.

Hi

Sorry i think i have made people mad, i dont think they got that i was trying to be funny saying that €500 is mad money.

I would not try and paint myslef as i know my wife would never be happy with the way it looks.

So were do i find this painter that will do it for €500 as that is a good price.

No body is mad :D if you can get a good painter to do it for 500 by all means go with it because 500 is a great price

Hi

Thanks for you your help on this, i have one last quesation, one of the room i what to paint is my daughters room, she is 4 months old, how many days after the room is painted could we put her back in the room?

Hi

Thanks for you your help on this, i have one last quesation, one of the room i what to paint is my daughters room, she is 4 months old, how many days after the room is painted could we put her back in the room?

Minimum a week if it was me. That's with the windows open the majority of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭DublinDIYguy

Let me know.

Giving it 2 coats of white before using the colour is a waste of time and paint.
    If the walls are dark it sometimes makes sense to give 1 coat of white first but never 2.

Giving it 2 coats of white before using the colour is a waste of time and paint.
    If the walls are dark it sometimes makes sense to give 1 coat of white first but never 2.

Getting my info from a man with 45 years experience as a painter & decorator.
    OP said walls were dark.

• Advertisement

Getting my info from a man with 45 years experience as a painter & decorator.
    OP said walls were dark.

He's wasted a lot of time and paint in those 45 years. Whatever colour he chooses will need a minimum of 2 coats either way. A 2nd coat of white wont help in any way..

He's wasted a lot of time and paint in those 45 years. Whatever colour he chooses will need a minimum of 2 coats either way. A 2nd coat of white wont help in any way..

Have a bit of respect. I never said he used two coats of paint for every colour..I asked him his opinion because the OP asked a question and I relayed the info from my Uncle to the OP.

I'm not going to argue with his advice.
    Let's see your credentials if you're going to be smart.
    I'm only passing on advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Light coloured paint more expensive usually, so 2 coats of light paint is cheaper rather than using the more expensive colour. You are wrong and the guy with 45 years experience is right .

Have a bit of respect. I never said he used two coats of paint for every colour..I asked him his opinion because the OP asked a question and I relayed the info from my Uncle to the OP.

I have to agree with your uncle.

If I'm painting a room that has previously been painted dark red, I'll usually give it two coats of white Matt to blot out the red, Before giving it a couple of coats of the finish colour.

Matt has better opacity than the soft sheen, that is used for the final coats.

I've seen you pass on bad advice from your uncle before and argue with a few other painters who told you your uncle was wrong.
    Just because he's older than me doesn't mean he knows more about painting. I'm painting nearly 20 years and have never painted over a dark colour twice with white before using the chosen colour. The painters I learnt my trade from are as old as your uncle and have never done what you're suggesting.
    You're suggesting the OP paints the wall twice with white paint and twice with his chosen colour. Total of 4 coats.
    I'm telling you the only time you'd need to use 4 coats on a wall is if you're using a very deep colour (deep reds, oranges, some yellows) in these cases it requires extra coats of that colour not of white.
    Covering deep or dark colours can sometimes take an extra coat which could be a coat of white first but never 2.
    I could change a black wall to magnolia with 1 white and 2 magnolia.
    If i gave that same wall 2 coats of white it would still require 2 coats of mag and look the exact same..
    I'd suggest you should refrain from passing on other peoples advice and only advise from your own experience. Just cos your uncle has 45 years experience doesn't mean he's right about everything to do with paint. Most of his years experience were built up during times when the paint was totally different to now. Maybe 40 years ago the white paint was so **** it only had 50% opacity compared to now and his advice is dated.
    And I don't show extra respect to people because of their age, wether he's 30 or 60 he's giving you bad advice to pass on.

whupdedo wrote: »
    Light coloured paint more expensive usually, so 2 coats of light paint is cheaper rather than using the more expensive colour. You are wrong and the guy with 45 years experience is right .

Your post makes no sense.
    You can paint the wall white 6 times if you like. It'll still require a minimum of 2 coats of the finish paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

OP, what colour are the walls now and what colour do you intend to use in the future? Also do you know what finish is currently on the walls? Matt, softsheen, silk etc. These are two important factors.

As for applying white first, sometimes its worthwhile. If your doing the ceiling white, it can be a good idea to hit the walls with a coat of white at this stage, to save wall colour paint and usually a few bob.
    Its important to remember that paint doesn't know what colour it is. I say this as sometimes it quicker to apply 3 coats of the same colour to the walls than involve a colour change, ( from white to the colour you choose ).

Generally speaking the better quality of paint that you use, the less coats it takes to do the job. Paint with higher levels of titanium dioxide cover better. But that's not to say all expensive paint are better, far from it. Personally I think F&B is the biggest marketing scam in paint, but that topic could have its own thread:-)

As for price, it depends on your expectations, level of prep needed, products used and the company involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Interesting discussion.
    If it took 2 days for 1 painter to do 2 rooms would they hope to get €500 for their efforts? (excluding paint)

Which leads me to ask, what would an experienced painter hope to get for a days labour?

padjo5 wrote: »
    Interesting discussion.
    If it took 2 days for 1 painter to do 2 rooms would they hope to get €500 for their efforts? (excluding paint)

Which leads me to ask, what would an experienced painter hope to get for a days labour?

Experienced or qualified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Experienced or qualified?

Assuming both, what is expected day rate?

Advertisement