Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Paint the 3 bedrooms of a 3 bed Semi D

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

padjo5 wrote: »
    Assuming both, what is expected day rate?

A qualified and experienced painter & decorator, using his own tools, fully insured and vat registered will cost more than an unskilled ameatuer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Assuming both, what is expected day rate?

About 180 a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

About 180 a day!

Thanks. That to me seems like a fairly high price for a days labour, accepting of course that it is a skilled trade just as carpentry etc is.

Thanks. That to me seems like a fairly high price for a days labour, accepting of course that it is a skilled trade just as carpentry etc is.

Really, when a man has to pay tax and insurance out of it?

I won't have a workman up and down a ladder on my property without insurance. I don't fancy getting sued!

Or you can have paddy cash working for you with no come back on ****e work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Its a funny one, a days labour. A lot of painting companies are small one or two man bands.

Ive seen myself, do more in 5 hrs than others do in 8. Some lads come in late at 8.30, have a cuppa, have to have a chat, use the toilet 3 times a day,45 mins for lunch and 30mins at 10 o'clock. Always running to the van for this or that, down to the paint shop for something they forgot, on the phone steady. Of course looking at the watch, dying for 4.30 when they can leg it. Just doing enough to cover themselves and stumble on.

My point is, and I've gone the long way about, is about production rates. X a day for 1 man might seem expensive, it really depends what you get out of him that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If somebody is paying overheads, insurances and all their taxes, VAT, etc., etc...it's not a lot (out of E180...mybe E90 of that is going into their pocket).

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭DublinDIYguy

I have to agree with your uncle.

If I'm painting a room that has previously been painted dark red, I'll usually give it two coats of white Matt to blot out the red, Before giving it a couple of coats of the finish colour.

Matt has better opacity than the soft sheen, that is used for the final coats.

There was no mention of soft sheen, matt is a far more popular finish for walls in general, especially in bedrooms.
    So if you agree with the uncle, that means if you were pricing this job of 3 bedrooms that has a dark colour on the walls (no mention of deep red) and we'll say they want magnolia, you would tell the customer it'll require 4 coats on the walls?. 2 white and 2 mag..
    How much extra would you charge for the 4th (uneccessary) coat of paint?, afterall it'll take a few hours to coat the 3 rooms plus an extra 5l or so of paint.

There was no mention of soft sheen, matt is a far more popular finish for walls in general, especially in bedrooms.
    So if you agree with the uncle, that means if you were pricing this job of 3 bedrooms that has a dark colour on the walls (no mention of deep red) and we'll say they want magnolia, you would tell the customer it'll require 4 coats on the walls?. 2 white and 2 mag..
    How much extra would you charge for the 4th (uneccessary) coat of paint?, afterall it'll take a few hours to coat the 3 rooms plus an extra 5l or so of paint.

Slow down and read my post again.

I am giving an example of what I would generally do on jobs. Its impossible to tell without seeing the rooms, what colours are currently on them or what colours they want them changed to how many coats any particular wall will need.

They also didn't state whether they wanted matt or sheen. So I'll say again, I was giving a general example of the process!

Slow down and read my post again.

I am giving an example of what I would generally do on jobs. Its impossible to tell without seeing the rooms, what colours are currently on them or what colours they want them changed to how many coats any particular wall will need.

They also didn't state whether they wanted matt or sheen. So I'll say again, I was giving a general example of the process!

I understand you mentioned occasionally giving 2 coats of white to kill a deep red (I still think 1 would suffice unless you're using a low opacity white like crown for example). But the part I'm questioning you on is where you agree with that guys uncle who stated the OP will need to paint his walls white twice before using his chosen colour.
    My point is that that is bad advice. The 2nd coat of white would be a waste of time and paint.
    I think advice should only be given from ppl who know what they're talking about not someone who's wife's Aunty once went out with a painter..

OP, what colour are the walls now and what colour do you intend to use in the future? Also do you know what finish is currently on the walls? Matt, softsheen, silk etc. These are two important factors.

As for applying white first, sometimes its worthwhile. If your doing the ceiling white, it can be a good idea to hit the walls with a coat of white at this stage, to save wall colour paint and usually a few bob.
    Its important to remember that paint doesn't know what colour it is. I say this as sometimes it quicker to apply 3 coats of the same colour to the walls than involve a colour change, ( from white to the colour you choose ).

Generally speaking the better quality of paint that you use, the less coats it takes to do the job. Paint with higher levels of titanium dioxide cover better. But that's not to say all expensive paint are better, far from it. Personally I think F&B is the biggest marketing scam in paint, but that topic could have its own thread:-)

As for price, it depends on your expectations, level of prep needed, products used and the company involved.

I'd be interested in the F&B thread, or one on paint brands in general.
    Regarding F&B, I think their paints are ok, their waterbased satin and eggshell is better than most on the market.
    Their emulsion is prob below average.
    And their prices are way, way too high. But if it sells at them prices why change?
    Their colour cards are very good and I think that's what brings a high volume of their customers..

• Advertisement

I understand you mentioned occasionally giving 2 coats of white to kill a deep red (I still think 1 would suffice unless you're using a low opacity white like crown for example). But the part I'm questioning you on is where you agree with that guys uncle who stated the OP will need to paint his walls white twice before using his chosen colour.
    My point is that that is bad advice. The 2nd coat of white would be a waste of time and paint.
    I think advice should only be given from ppl who know what they're talking about not someone who's wife's Aunty once went out with a painter..

Ya I'm 17 years qualified.

Excuse me if I don't take as gospel advise from a diy guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

The funny thing is anyone can try there hand at any trade BUT try mastering it and its a total different ball game .
    What 1 man thinks is a good way of doing something another might think is not .

If you have time have a look @ this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057124971 the video @ the end is pure class .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

My tuppence:

I've a 3 bed house.

Over the years I've painted the rooms myself. I have a relative who's a qualified painter and he has done soom rooms.
    Ive also had a professional painter in.

Without a doubt the best option was getting the pro in. I did a good job, but it took me a week to prep and finish each room.

The relative was doing a favour so he cut some corners but of course I wa grateful because it's a freebie!

Proper painter had bedroom painted in a day and cost between 100 to 150.

It was cheaper for him to do that than for me up take off work. His finish is better, he tidied up after the job, he had the paint for ceilings and doors.

If you can afford it get a pro - it's your walls and you'll be getting value out of it for years.

Ya I'm 17 years qualified.

Excuse me if I don't take as gospel advise from a diy guy!

Your excused, but I didn't give you any advice.
    You agreed with the old guy that the OP's 3 rooms walls would need 2 coats of white before the chosen colour instead of 1 or none.
    I asked you how much extra would you charge for the extra (unnecessary) coat or 2 of white.
    And well done on your 17years qualified, i thought you were 9999999 years a painter and German Ya

Your excused, but I didn't give you any advice.
    You agreed with the old guy that the OP's 3 rooms walls would need 2 coats of white before the chosen colour instead of 1 or none.
    I asked you how much extra would you charge for the extra (unnecessary) coat or 2 of white.
    And well done on your 17years qualified, i thought you were 9999999 years a painter and German Ya

And your attitude is why most people will choose a professional who are courteous to deal with, and not a diyer who will throw there toys out of the pram when they are questioned about there dodgy work.

You must be very busy working if you can spend half your day trawling through my old posts.

Anyway, I'll leave you get back to watching discovery homes and gardens.

And your attitude is why most people will choose a professional who are courteous to deal with, and not a diyer who will throw there toys out of the pram when they are questioned about there dodgy work.

You must be very busy working if you can spend half your day trawling through my old posts.

Anyway, I'll leave you get back to watching discovery homes and gardens.

Just cos I'm a qualified painter doesn't mean I can't also be into diy. Or are you only able to paint.
    I didn't trawl through any of your old posts. I refered to the post in this thread so don't flatter yourself.
    You agreed with bad ADVICE (take note if you want to spell that correctly in future) that was given to the OP then backed down when I questioned you about it and now you're accusing me of throwing toys out of a pram because you don't have anything else to say. If you agreed having not fully understood or read the conversation that had gone before then just admit that.. But pointing your finger at me with silly remarks like the pram one and diyer while talking up your 17 years of knowledge makes me think you forgot to grow up during those 17 years

The attitude of a pro is very important. Even on the Internet.

No pro painter does everything the same way, and with the way products have changed in the last four years, we are all playing catchup. Hell even the manufactures are constantly changing formulas and trying to get things right.

We must learn things everyday, no matter how long we have being doing it. Otherwise we just keep doing the same things, while the world keeps turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 george tobin

Hi a real painter would complete that job in a day and a half at a cost of about 350 paint supplied( Dulux) of course you can do it yourself and lose that professional touch.

Mod Note: You can leave out the personal details/contact no. Thanks! You may have confused this with Adverts.ie

No I didn't confuse this with adverts.ie, just making sure your on the ball!

Hi a real painter would complete that job in a day and a half at a cost of about 350 paint supplied( Dulux) of course you can do it yourself and lose that professional touch.

Mod Note: You can leave out the personal details/contact no. Thanks! You may have confused this with Adverts.ie

How can you throw a number at something you know nothing about?

All the op says is three bedrooms. You have no idea of size, prep involved, colours/sheen or any other factors.

How much woodwork is involved, ceilings included etc. Which brand of paint they want?

May as well play bingo if you don't have all the info before you give a quote.

• Advertisement

Double post

Whats a real painter when he's at home?
    Do real painters need to scour through boards.ie looking for work? What do real painters who decorate 3 rooms for €350 paint included do with the €100 they have left after spending money on paint, transport (van, tax, insurance, diesel), tools, insurance, income tax and all other expenses related to being self employed.
    I think you've accidentally spelt bull**** artist REAL PAINTER..
    If anyone gets a quote that is way too good to be true, you'll find out why fairly soon after the bull**** artist or as George likes to call them real painter has left..

That's a minimum price for an average 3 beds provided the rooms are cleared out with not too much prep, relax folks!!

What's wrong with chasing work on boards? Those three rooms would be part of a weeks work for a man,not bull**** just keeping lads busy!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What's wrong with chasing work on boards?

It's just not allowed. Them's the rules. See forum charter.

4.2 The forum shall not be used by anyone for the purpose of personal gain by advertising their services directly/indirectly or referring to same in their posts. This includes user names, or providing website addresses, contact numbers, etc.

This thread was ticking along nicely...let's keep it that way. :)

Advertisement