Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welder supply

Options
  • 06-03-2014 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to settle an argument with my brother.

I have a 3 phase welder. On the inside, there is setting where if you change around plates that it can change from 400v to 220v.

I think that this means from 400v 3 phase to 220v 3 phase but he is telling me that i can wire the welder up to 220v single phase .

Is he correct

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Depends on the welder.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

2011 wrote: »
    Depends on the welder.

Its an old telwin supermig 360. I have no manual for it but found specs online,. It says 3ph 400v/220v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

tippgod wrote: »

I think that this means from 400v 3 phase to 220v 3 phase but he is telling me that i can wire the welder up to 220v single phase .

You are correct, your brother is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I'd say the brother is prob correct

I'd say they take 230 1 phase or 400v 2 phase
    (not actual 3 phase)... it's common on welders to use that terminology afaik

how many wires on mains lead

dual voltage motors are interchangeable alright between 3P 230v and 3P 400v supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

dual voltage motors are interchangeable alright between 3P 230v and 3P 400v supplies
    4 wires, brown, black and grey. Those 3 wires go into a grid that if turned one way it just says 400v and the other way 220v. Then the 3 wires go into a contractor then onto a rotary switch which is selecting the input into the transformer.
    I have tried looking up for a manual on either telwin or sealey website

• Advertisement

I must be mistaken then.

brown black grey is 3P

must be 3P dual voltage

it's common on the smaller welders to be 230 or 380 (over 1 or 2 phases) and they call it 3 phase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A 3 phase motor with 230v windings can be connected to 400v 3 phase. And so can a motor with 400v windings obviously enough.

I think the particular welder here is 3 phase in either 230 or 400

Bruthal wrote: »
    A 3 phase motor with 230v windings can be connected to 400v 3 phase. And so can a motor with 400v windings obviously enough.

I think the particular welder here is 3 phase in either 230 or 400

yes.. not relevant here but

trafos with a single 400v primary winding are commonly referred to as 3 phase trafos

same with the smaller 400v welders that run off 230V or 2 phases

I found it confusing at first

yes.. not relevant here but

trafos with a single 400v primary winding are commonly referred to as 3 phase trafos

same with the smaller 400v welders that run off 230V or 2 phases

I found it confusing at first

Ye I know. Even though an item supplied off 2 phases might be referred to as a 2 phase or even a 3 phase item, it is purely a single phase item. Once there is only 2 phases, there is only a single sine wave, exactly as from phase to neutral, but higher magnitude.

If the welder only has a single winding, then it is a single phase welder alright, even though it might have a 3 phase lead to it. Need an oul diagram.

it's common with the smaller trafos and welders(single winding) to have the option of 230 or 400

the 400 keeps a better balance on supply if 3P is available and smaller supply cables and VD

• Advertisement

Yea overall, it probably is a single phase dual voltage welder. The output is only 2 pole which only needs a single winding.

Advertisement