Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvard Referencing

Options
  • 06-03-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

On the Harvard link in UCD connect, page numbers are not used in ITC, yet several lecturers insist that page numbers are used when using Harvard!
    Have just completed essay without page numbers and now concerned will loose marks.

Who's right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

On the Harvard link in UCD connect, page numbers are not used in ITC, yet several lecturers insist that page numbers are used when using Harvard!
    Have just completed essay without page numbers and now concerned will loose marks.

Who's right?

There is no right or wrong it would seem! I was in college in UCD and then WIT finding interpretations varied per lecturer!! Some made a big deal of these issues (they must have nothing better going on in their lives?!?!?!) while others were more relaxed about it. So, go with what your lecturer told you is the best advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

The style sheet was changed back in October 2011. I actually have the old one from before and the page numbers were required for ITC and it is the one I've always worked off. The exclusion of pages is a bit odd. With a multiple page document no lecturer wants to sit and wade through pages of stuff. I'd wonder if this was a screw up on the library's part.

Are you past the deadline for the essay? You might be able to resubmit it or you could just speak to your tutor/lecturer about it if you are that concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

What I was told before by a lecturer is if you're paraphrasing all you need to is cite the work, but if you're quoting word for word as it is in the text you need to include the page number.

Advertisement