Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance automatically renewed

Options
  • 06-03-2014 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

What the absolute hell Liberty,

Today on my mat was a thanks for renewing your home insurance policy with us letter. This is all without us even phoning liberty to talk about renewal because we had found somewhere much much cheaper for a more superior policy.

We had just got the renewal letter in the door but saying it was the price it was we never took it any further. 

Upon looking at our Car Insurance (of which both our cars are insured with yourselves) documents as we couldn't find the home insurance documents it says it will automatically renew... what kinda crappy thing is this to have wrote into the policy??? I bet you corner lots of unwitting or vulnerable people into renewing without them knowing it.

It also stats contact us before your renewal date (which is over a week away) but yet your still saying that the money will be taken from the account in 2 days, really really???

Is this the same with the home insurance policy?

Bottom line is you've just lost a load of money as we won't even be going to yourselves for so much as a quote at the end of the month for both car policys.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Today on my mat was a thanks for renewing your home insurance policy with us letter. This is all without us even phoning liberty to talk about renewal because we had found somewhere much much cheaper for a more superior policy.

We had just got the renewal letter in the door but saying it was the price it was we never took it any further. 

Upon looking at our Car Insurance (of which both our cars are insured with yourselves) documents as we couldn't find the home insurance documents it says it will automatically renew... what kinda crappy thing is this to have wrote into the policy??? I bet you corner lots of unwitting or vulnerable people into renewing without them knowing it.

It also stats contact us before your renewal date (which is over a week away) but yet your still saying that the money will be taken from the account in 2 days, really really???

Bottom line is you've just lost a load of money as we won't even be going to yourselves for so much as a quote at the end of the month for both car policys.
    Hi homer simpson

If you PM me your details I will look into this for you.

Regards Seán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Hi homer simpson

If you PM me your details I will look into this for you.

Regards Seán
    I have no problem PM'in you but I want you to answer the question I've asked on thread first please. Because I'm not to bothered about me sending you a PM for you to get someone to call me and offer me a discount. 

Do you automatically renew all policies (home and motor) if the customer doesn't tell you not to do so before the renewal date???? (even though in my case you are still going to approach my bank for the money before my renewal date)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Liberty Insurance: Lisa

Hi homer simpson

We issue a Renewal Notice approximately 30 days before your renewal date which confirms if your policy will automatically renew. If you want to PM me your details we can look into your policies further.

Regards
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

The lot of them do this these days. I was with Tesco and they tried the same stunt. Was with Axa and they didnt do it but probably do now.

Im assuming you got a letter saying it will renew and flung it in the bin assuming its just spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The lot of them do this these days. I was with Tesco and they tried the same stunt. Was with Axa and they didnt do it but probably do now.

Im assuming you got a letter saying it will renew and flung it in the bin assuming its just spam.
    Nope we did get a letter with a new quote which was a massive increase on the previous year so ignored it. I have looked at the car insurance quote letter which we received a few days later and nowhere on it does it say the policy will renew automatically. The girl I talked to on the phone actually agreed with me didn't try to offer me anything (even it it was cheaper I still wouldn't have gone with them) and cancelled the policy for us and confirmed that yes they will renew automatically and no it doesn't state it in the letter.

It's a nasty nasty trick if you ask me and your probably right, usually if one insurance company is seen to be getting anyway with something the rest are sure to follow suit. First time I've encountered it though.

Hi homer simpson

We issue a Renewal Notice approximately 30 days before your renewal date which confirms if your policy will automatically renew. If you want to PM me your details we can look into your policies further.

Regards
    Sean

Hey Sean / Lisa :confused::confused:

As I said above the rep whom spoke to me said yes both our insurance's will automatically renew and I will attach a copy of one of our renewal letters for you to see that nowhere on the letter does it mention automatic renewal.

To me it looks like a dirty dirty trick and like I said if someone is vulnerable may not phone up to challenge it when they get the automatic renewal documents in the post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Something similar happened to me - I sent an email cancelling my health insurance with Liberty. They sent back an email saying that they would cancel it once I replied with the reason for cancelling! Then they took 3 months direct debit until I spotted it on my bill.
    Funnily enough you might say that it was an accident but my wife switched from them at the same time and they used the same stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Same thing happened to me with VHI, BUPA, Meteor, Vodafone, and Liberty.

In fact a lot of companies do this.

Its down to the direct debit, if you pay using this method then they will continue to take the money every month.

I just rang liberty and sent back the documents and got a cheque in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Richie 538

I had the exact same thing happen to me over the last two weeks! First they sent me a quote which I didn't even consider so I joined another company. The through the door came my insurance disc. I rang them to cancel and they said that's done now thank you, so I thought nothing of it further. I then noticed two days later that they took a sum of money out of my bank account to cover the deposit. I again called, only this time to be told I must send back all the documents they sent me, which I was not told the first time around. Then she told me I could be Waiting two weeks to get my money back. They are a disgrace of a company and I will never consider going back to them for any form of insurance again! I'm livid they took money out without my knowledge and left me stuck, I'm still waiting on my refund as of today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Liberty Insurance: Lisa

Hi Richie 538

Can you please PM your policy reference number along with a contact number & we can give you a call on this.

Thanks
    Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dmki

Same thing here!

Excerpt that this time they didn't bother sending any mail (or it was lost, or they sent it to different address, but why bother sending registered mail for a >2K[font=arial, sans-serif]€[/font] contract?). Which means that I had no insurance disk, so couldn't drive with their "protection", and didn't know they even "protect" me. Although they increased the sum twice (yes, 100%!) and before I noticed, they took payment for two months. They didn't bother to send e-mail or call until I cancelled the DD and returned two payments.

Obviously, this can't be legal, as there is no word about automatic renewal in the contract, but there is an end date. Which means - if they don't have my consent (i.e. document with signature), they can't charge me a cent. Asked quite a few people, including two lawyers and one insurance company ex-employee, all said it's a scam. 

Why didn't anyone bother to sue them yet? This can't be legal in EU, where you have to explicitly agree even for cookies at the website.

The bottom line: don't use Liberty Insurance. A rip-off on the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

dmki wrote: »
    Same thing here!

Excerpt that this time they didn't bother sending any mail (or it was lost, or they sent it to different address, but why bother sending registered mail for a >2K[font=arial, sans-serif]€[/font] contract?). Which means that I had no insurance disk, so couldn't drive with their "protection", and didn't know they even "protect" me. Although they increased the sum twice (yes, 100%!) and before I noticed, they took payment for two months. They didn't bother to send e-mail or call until I cancelled the DD and returned two payments.

Obviously, this can't be legal, as there is no word about automatic renewal in the contract, but there is an end date. Which means - if they don't have my consent (i.e. document with signature), they can't charge me a cent. Asked quite a few people, including two lawyers and one insurance company ex-employee, all said it's a scam. 

Why didn't anyone bother to sue them yet? This can't be legal in EU, where you have to explicitly agree even for cookies at the website.

The bottom line: don't use Liberty Insurance. A rip-off on the long run.
    Hi Dmki
    Can you PM me with your policy details and I will arrange for someone to look into this for you?
    Regards 
    Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Lads the automatic renewal by direct debit is for the customers benefits, most if not all companies do this.

Think of it like this: you are paying car insurance DD, it comes to your renewal, you receive the renewal and want to go ahead, but forget to call the company to let them know and confirm. Come the renewal date, they dont auto renew and you are driving about uninsured. What happens then?

If a company auto renews without you knowing or wanting you, you can ring up and cancel from the renewal date without any charges and any installments taken from your bank should be refunded.

well Liberty have been fleecing rather than rewarding long term customers and they're not too old a company.
    I'm glad this caught up with them. I don't see yer man on the add offering "great deals" anymore with all the jobs gone!
    Despite the JFK hair and Bostonian twang!! good riddance to them, shower of robbers. I was a customer for a decade, Happy too and
    as soon as they take over, automatic 50% increase!! needless to say, I went to someone else and got my policy 30% cheaper than
    Liberty's offer.. #showerofspoofers!!!

Advertisement