Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent keeps turning up at flat unannounced & letting himself in.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    haha sorry guys , no sign of him yet.. i emailed his company last night to say any potential clients were welcome to view the flat (with 24 hrs notice) but not anyone from their company

Why on earth would you tell them a thing like that? :confused: Either youre making a stand or youre not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

djimi wrote: »
    Why on earth would you tell them a thing like that? :confused: Either youre making a stand or youre not.

Yeah OP - no wonder the EA is playing you for a fool ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Yeah OP - no wonder the EA is playing you for a fool ...

Listen guys as i explained last night i want this carry on over and done with, i just want these flats sold so i know the future one way or another & i want this a-hole of an estate agent as far as way from me as possible .. the only way to do that is to get these flats sold .. also main thing is whoever is coming around to view these flats is potentially my future landlord, id like them to know the reason why im not letting the estate agent in - and also to show them that i keep my flat in good clean condition and i have nothing to hide from them !

I dont think youre going to be able to deal with their clients and not have it involve the estate agent. Eventually it will be right back to where it started; they will be sending people over to your house on a moments notice.

I dont think youre going to be able to deal with their clients and not have it involve the estate agent. Eventually it will be right back to where it started; they will be sending people over to your house on a moments notice.

according to them tonights was meant to be the final visit .

I also asked for any keys they have to my flat to be handed in my Email last night.

Believe me im no pushover, but im also not going to be obstructive to the process of selling the flats just for the sake of it, and ultimately i also want to make a good impression on whoever may possibly be my future landlord for years to come.

But having said all that no one from that estate agents will ever have my permission to be in this flat again, not whilst im still paying living in it anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

i just want these flats sold so i know the future one way or another & i want this a-hole of an estate agent as far as way from me as possible .. the only way to do that is to get these flats sold .. also main thing is whoever is coming around to view these flats is potentially my future landlord
    ultimately i also want to make a good impression on whoever may possibly be my future landlord for years to come.

Why are you so sure the new owners will be letting the property? has it been mentioned? even if they are, they may want you to leave, if they are renovating?
    Not sure where tenants stand regarding previous renting history (time) as any contract with a new landlord will be from zero timewise, ie the new landlord wont have any agreement with the tenant until they purchase.
    Why is it important for you that other flats you dont live in are sold?

cerastes wrote: »
    Why are you so sure the new owners will be letting the property? has it been mentioned? even if they are, they may want you to leave, if they are renovating?
    Not sure where tenants stand regarding previous renting history (time) as any contract with a new landlord will be from zero timewise, ie the new landlord wont have any agreement with the tenant until they purchase.
    Why is it important for you that other flats you dont live in are sold?

1st where did i say i was so sure?

Second point i do know where i stand, i have been here more than four years so i require 4 months notice regardless of contracts.

Your last question where did i say that ? anyway its all being sold as one unit. not separate flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Stop giving in to the estate agent op. If you must let people in, insist on limiting it to one viewing a week on your terms. Don't budge on this.

You keep referring to it the fact these are potentially your new landlords, a number of times, its suggesting this is what you think,want,hope,expect.
    Im uncertain what the requirements are regarding notice in this circumstance. But the new owner will have no contract with you, whatever contract you had with anyone else, Ìm not saying you're not due a certain amounts notice from someone, but it would seem to me that any new owner owes you nothing as they have no agreement with you.
    1st where did i say i was so sure?

Second point i do know where i stand, i have been here more than four years so i require 4 months notice regardless of contracts.

Your last question where did i say that ? anyway its all being sold as one unit. not separate flats.

First you mentioned that its all being sold as a job lot. But as below.
    Listen guys as i explained last night i want this carry on over and done with,i just want these flats sold so i know the future one way or another & i want this a-hole of an estate agent as far as way from me as possible .. the only way to do that is to get these flats sold .. also main thing is whoever is coming around to view these flats is potentially my future landlord, id like them to know the reason why im not letting the estate agent in - and also to show them that i keep my flat in good clean condition and i have nothing to hide from them !

You keep referring to it the fact these are potentially your new landlords, a number of times, its suggesting this is what you think,want,hope,expect.
    Im uncertain what the requirements are regarding notice in this circumstance. But the new owner will have no contract with you, whatever contract you had with anyone else, Ìm not saying you're not due a certain amounts notice from someone, but it would seem to me that any new owner owes you nothing as they have no agreement with you.

First you mentioned that its all being sold as a job lot. But as below.

the very point that i refer to it as "potentially" shows that i do not think it is a fact .. due to the market up here and the set up of these flats it is what i would guess if i had to predict it yes, but im not as naive to think that its a certainty that this will be the outcome.

Well i have been in touch with threshold and they have informed me that any new landlord will have to give me 4 months notice regardless of contracts.

• Advertisement

the very point that i refer to it as "potentially" shows that i do not think it is a fact .. due to the market up here and the set up of these flats it is what i would guess if i had to predict it yes, but im not as naive to think that its a certainty that this will be the outcome.

Well i have been in touch with threshold and they have informed me that any new landlord will have to give me 4 months notice regardless of contracts.

Id look in other places for advice too, also if they dont sign a lease agreement with you, they wont be your landlord fullstop. Hence why I say, I wouldnt be certain what the requirements are for notice, any not complying with obligations will be something to deal with, with your old landlord.

also if they dont sign a lease agreement with you, they wont be your landlord fullstop.

Yes they will. If you buy a property with sitting tenants then you take over as their landlord in place of the current landlord; as far as the tenants are concerned nothing changes about their situation in the tenancy. If the OP is on a part 4 tenancy and would be owed 4 months notice then that is how it would remain.

Yes they will. If you buy a property with sitting tenants then you take over as their landlord in place of the current landlord; as far as the tenants are concerned nothing changes about their situation in the tenancy. If the OP is on a part 4 tenancy and would be owed 4 months notice then that is how it would remain.

Hence why I said Im not sure, but I'd still want to see clarification on it, before I accepted it as gospel.
    In the case if its correct, they could issue whatever the correct notice to quit is, on the basis of wanting the property for their own occupation.
    As its a job lot for sale, that might be unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Pretty sure you have no rights when it comes to change of ownership, all contracts go out the window..
    read something similar to this on here before also listened to Joe Duffy awhile back where some elderly man wanted to sell his house discounted but keep living there until he died. some expert came on air to explain that it would be impossible to make this agreement contractual as after the exchange of a sum of monies/deeds the new owners could do what they wished i.e. boot out the old man..

Now saying this I could be mistaken, you could telephone http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ they'd have a better idea to your situation..

I'd say this though IF it is a job lot and I'm presuming right that it's (the property) is some kind of house conversion*, their is always the possibility the new owners could revert to a single dwelling and either A) Move in themselves or B) Rent it out as one house - only have to deal with one tenant that way rather than multiple peoples (more hassle).

Infact their are so many possibilities it'd be wise to start looking around for a new place just in case..

ALSO I'd withhold paying rent to the bank also, the estate agent is working on their behalf, you told them about said agent, they (the bank) basically told you to gfy, they'll change agent after the place is sold... EH HELLO?? The bank won't own the property after. they won't need a f***ing estate agent to deal with you any time soon after the fact.. They will keep using this company for viewings of other places as you'll be out of the picture so who cares?

I'd save rent by not paying bank to put down a deposit elsewhere..

Sorry if the truth hurts but...

Goodluck with it anyway..

*Edit just re-read OP it is indeed house conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Another thing comes to mind about you wishing the sale goes through quick - You might actually be better off that the bank is your landlord by taking over your tenancy(?) you stand more of a chance with the four month notice then if purchasers come in. Just some food for thought. Also regarding deposit it's probably fair to say the original landlord won't be giving this back to you, and seriously doubt the bank has any liability to you.

worst case scenario for you right now is building sold, all tenants evicted with a weeks notice, no deposit refunds, and you're now stuck for a place to live.. along with three others who were evicted same as you, i.e. competition for your next place.

Tenants will not be evicted with a weeks notice. Part 4 rights do not disappear when the property is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tenants will not be evicted with a weeks notice. Part 4 rights do not disappear when the property is sold.

Thanks for this. It seems to be that many here have not caught up with the 2004 Tenancy act, any more than many landlords have.:rolleyes:OP has the PRTB ruling which reflects the law as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

worst case scenario for you right now is building sold, all tenants evicted with a weeks notice, no deposit refunds, and you're now stuck for a place to live.. along with three others who were evicted same as you, i.e. competition for your next place.

Scaremongering when you don't know what you're talking about is not very helpful to the OP.

Pretty sure you have no rights when it comes to change of ownership, all contracts go out the window..
    read something similar to this on here before also listened to Joe Duffy awhile back where some elderly man wanted to sell his house discounted but keep living there until he died. some expert came on air to explain that it would be impossible to make this agreement contractual as after the exchange of a sum of monies/deeds the new owners could do what they wished i.e. boot out the old man..

Now saying this I could be mistaken, you could telephone http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ they'd have a better idea to your situation..

I'd say this though IF it is a job lot and I'm presuming right that it's (the property) is some kind of house conversion*, their is always the possibility the new owners could revert to a single dwelling and either A) Move in themselves or B) Rent it out as one house - only have to deal with one tenant that way rather than multiple peoples (more hassle).

Infact their are so many possibilities it'd be wise to start looking around for a new place just in case..

ALSO I'd withhold paying rent to the bank also, the estate agent is working on their behalf, you told them about said agent, they (the bank) basically told you to gfy, they'll change agent after the place is sold... EH HELLO?? The bank won't own the property after. they won't need a f***ing estate agent to deal with you any time soon after the fact.. They will keep using this company for viewings of other places as you'll be out of the picture so who cares?

I'd save rent by not paying bank to put down a deposit elsewhere..

Sorry if the truth hurts but...

Goodluck with it anyway..

*Edit just re-read OP it is indeed house conversion.

I corrected myself since my OP .. it is not a house conversion, it looks like it to me and to others from the outside, but my elderly neighbour confirmed to me that the building that was here was ripped down completely and this present one built in its place.. specifically as one building containing 4 flats.

Another thing comes to mind about you wishing the sale goes through quick - You might actually be better off that the bank is your landlord by taking over your tenancy(?) you stand more of a chance with the four month notice then if purchasers come in. Just some food for thought. Also regarding deposit it's probably fair to say the original landlord won't be giving this back to you, and seriously doubt the bank has any liability to you.

he just did, something positive from this at last..

he has also been battling to try and keep these flats but the bank wont play ball. he lost all his houses and flats but told me he has been desperately trying to keep this property which he built himself but the bank aren't interested.. its a real pity as he was a good landlord.. maybe too good for his own sake as he let some problem tenants stay on too long which ultimately must have cost him a good bit of cash in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Id look in other places for advice too, also if they dont sign a lease agreement with you, they wont be your landlord fullstop. Hence why I say, I wouldnt be certain what the requirements are for notice, any not complying with obligations will be something to deal with, with your old landlord.

Dude, the bottom line is he will need 4 months notice to vacate the premises....it doesnt matter if its from the old landlord, the new landlord or the man on the moon, it doesnt matter whether the landlord is even registered with the PRTB. Once the tenant can show proof that he has been living there for 4 years then he will need 4 months notice....end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

What an absolutely ridiculous statement!! educate yourself with the rights of tenants before you make a fool out of yourself

Just an update i contacted the estate agent regulator but they need me to write in & to attach all sorts of evidence which basically i dont have .

I have found out from my neighbours since that Mondays appointment was cancelled at 4:30. though he still never contacted one female neighbour in the first place.

And today i have finally received an Email reply to my email stating i would allow viewings of my flat but only unaccompanied by any of their staff , it reads

Hello Oranbhoy67

I have noted the contents of your email dated 23rd inst. it was never my intention to cause you or any of the other tenants any stress or inconvenience in respect of carrying out appointment/viewings in your apartments. I acknowledge and appreciate the corporation I received from all of you and indeed apologize should I have caused any of you any upset. However I had instructions from my principle/vendor to sell those properties and hopefully the first part of that function is now complete and there should be very little , if any further disruption to any of you. Your co-operation helped a great deal in concluding that part of my function.

Regards EA

Hopefully taking from that this means that all viewings are now done .

Thanks very much for everyones advice during this stressful time & i will update this thread if and when a new Landlord/Homeowner takes charge just to let everyone know the end story in all this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Just an update i contacted the estate agent regulator but they need me to write in & to attach all sorts of evidence which basically i dont have .

I have found out from my neighbours since that Mondays appointment was cancelled at 4:30. though he still never contacted one female neighbour in the first place.

And today i have finally received an Email reply to my email stating i would allow viewings of my flat but only unaccompanied by any of their staff , it reads

Hello Oranbhoy67

I have noted the contents of your email dated 23rd inst. it was never my intention to cause you or any of the other tenants any stress or inconvenience in respect of carrying out appointment/viewings in your apartments. I acknowledge and appreciate the corporation I received from all of you and indeed apologize should I have caused any of you any upset. However I had instructions from my principle/vendor to sell those properties and hopefully the first part of that function is now complete and there should be very little , if any further disruption to any of you. Your co-operation helped a great deal in concluding that part of my function.

Regards EA

Hopefully taking from that this means that all viewings are now done .

Thanks very much for everyones advice during this stressful time & i will update this thread if and when a new Landlord/Homeowner takes charge just to let everyone know the end story in all this :)

At least he sent an apology (of sorts), and hopefully that will be the end of it. Personally I'd pursue the complaint (regardless of the evidence they request - are the requirements unreasonable?), as I'd feel his apology was too little, too late. If the sale falls through, will he just start the same **** again?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Hello Oranbhoy67

Regards EA

I'm sorry but the EA has just given you the big finger... Regardless of wether you have proof, still put it in writing and make sure the EA knows about it.

Proceed with your complaint to the regulator. This guy acted appallingly and will do so again to someone else without giving it a seconds though. Too many cowboys out there who think they are above the law when it comes to these matters; with any luck your complaint might slap some manners on one of them so nobody else has to go through the same with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

J

Hello Oranbhoy67

Regards EA

He only apologised after all the viewings were done...

He only apologised after all the viewings were done...

He apologised after the shower incident too.. but also added a "but" to that apology too, those apologies like that mean nothing to me, just hope i never have to deal with his company again in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

He apologised after the shower incident too.. but also added a "but" to that apology too, those apologies like that mean nothing to me, just hope i never have to deal with his company again in the future!

You still need to complain. He has made all the running with you and has got away with it. A formal complaint will stop him doing this to others.

Really you have gained nothing. Not one thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement